The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next NHL Expansion City

Rate this topic

Next NHL Expansion City  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Portland /Maine or Portland/Oregon?

Quebec, Kansas ,Halifax , Salt Lake City , Houston. 

Cleveland/Cincinnati Area is allready pretty Loaded with Teams. Pittsburgh, Columbus , Detroit , Chicago and even Toronto is not so "Far"

San Francisco pretty close to San Jose. 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Bombastik der Teutone said:

Portland /Maine or Portland/Oregon?

Quebec, Kansas ,Halifax , Salt Lake City , Houston. 

Cleveland/Cincinnati Area is allready pretty Loaded with Teams. Pittsburgh, Columbus , Detroit , Chicago and even Toronto is not so "Far"

San Francisco pretty close to San Jose. 

They have plans for 36 teams eventually. they will go to city close to each other

Edited by Iron Fist

Wouldn´t mind a Team in Portland/Oregon. 

Another "Rivalry" in Northwest wouldnt be bad i guess.

But with Seattle just joined the NHL i doubt this Area will get another Team soon. 

Kansas or Salt Lake City would fill a hole in Middle of the USA.

Quebec , honestly who doesn´t want Quebec back in the NHL? 

Halifax would be nice for Nova Scotia

Houston ,  a Rival for Dallas. a 2nd Team in Texas wouldnt hurt. 

• Hydration 1

The NHL wants to preserve the value of it's product.

It'll take five, ten maybe fifteen years before there's another expansion. Eventually, I see it making sense to move the Panthers to Quebec and the Yotes' to Houston. That won't happen but the next expansion should undoubtedly include Quebec City and hopefully Houston. I know that Atlanta is out of the picture as is another Toronto team which the Maple Leafs would quash. Saskatoon would kill the WHL. Cleveland is too close to Columbus despite the Pennsylvania-esque rivalry. 

3 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

The NHL wants to preserve the value of it's product.

It'll take five, ten maybe fifteen years before there's another expansion. Eventually, I see it making sense to move the Panthers to Quebec and the Yotes' to Houston. That won't happen but the next expansion should undoubtedly include Quebec City and hopefully Houston. I know that Atlanta is out of the picture as is another Toronto team which the Maple Leafs would quash. Saskatoon would kill the WHL. Cleveland is too close to Columbus despite the Pennsylvania-esque rivalry. 

They're about 2 Billion down the drain because of covid. Need to make it back somehow fast.  Players want it.

9 minutes ago, Bombastik der Teutone said:

Wouldn´t mind a Team in Portland/Oregon. 

Another "Rivalry" in Northwest wouldnt be bad i guess.

But with Seattle just joined the NHL i doubt this Area will get another Team soon. 

Kansas or Salt Lake City would fill a hole in Middle of the USA.

Quebec , honestly who doesn´t want Quebec back in the NHL? 

Halifax would be nice for Nova Scotia

Houston ,  a Rival for Dallas. a 2nd Team in Texas wouldnt hurt. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 1.50.49 AM.png

It's an interesting proposition... there's rumors that the NHL wants up to 36 teams. At 32 (with the Kraken beginning play this September), we're four away from that number. And I think it's entirely possible. Here's where I think the next four will be.

With the population boom that's going on in Austin, Texas right now, I feel like the NHL could be a trailblazer in that market much like they were with opening the other pro leagues to the possibility that Las Vegas was a viable sporting market outside the strip. (The Raiders moved to Vegas after the Golden Knights success, the NBA is rumored to be eyeing a Vegas expansion team, and the Oakland Athletics are rumored to be looking at a move to Vegas too). Austin is one of the fastest growing cities in America and the NHL would benefit from another Texas NHL team. I know Houston is of interest with people looking to move the Coyotes there but I'm not sure Houston will make as much sense as Austin in a few years. If the NHL wants to establish a new sporting market, especially in Texas, Austin would be the way to go. I'd go with Austin being a destination the NHL wants to seize.

Quebec City deserves a team and the NHL should really just bring back the Nordiques. They brought back the Jets, do it with the Nordiques. It only makes sense. Arizona or Florida moving to Quebec City feels like a pipe dream. If an ownership group in Quebec City can put together the cash to do a new expansion franchise there, I think that'll be the key to getting the team back. The NHL is loving all the expansion cash coming into the league and the NHLPA loves 50 new contract slots (and 22 on ice spots) opening up per team. I expect Quebec City to be the final Canadian team added. Saskatchewan, Halifax, Victoria, Newfoundland, etc aren't pick enough markets to support an NHL team. I think we could see a Halifax or Regina/Saskatoon AHL team in the future but that's about it.  And I don't think another Toronto team is possible. Having lived in Toronto for a bit, that city is diehard for the Leafs.

Salt Lake City makes a ton of sense too. Surprised they haven't added Salt Lake City after the 2002 Olympics. It's clearly an underutilized sports town. Utah folks love the Jazz and College Football. They've got an arena already and could support a team if one is added. Big question for them is -- who is the owner?!? In Austin and Quebec City, you can find owners but finding an owner for Salt Lake City may be a difficult find. I'm sure there's some Mormon Billionaires hanging around but are those guys interested in hockey?!? If the NHL can find the right owners, give Salt Lake City a chance.

If the NHL wants another California team, San Diego is where to go. San Diego is the biggest California city without a major sports franchise since the Chargers left to go up to Los Angeles. They have the Gulls AHL team now but I can easily see San Diego being on the list of potential expansion choices. It's warm weather, has two built in rivals (Kings and Ducks), and they're building an arena to attract an NBA franchise. I feel like if that arena gets built, I wouldn't be surprised to see the NHL sniffing around to see if an NHL team could work there. Steve Bullmer, the owner of the Clippers and the richest man to own a professional sports team, is rumored to live in San Diego and could be a natural fit as an expansion owner. (I'm actually a little surprised Bullmer wasn't in on the Kraken personally). San Diego just makes a world of sense if that NBA arena is built.

So yeah, there's my list, I think the next 4 landing spots will be (in no particular order): Austin, Quebec City, Salt Lake City, and San Diego.

Honorable mentions: Kansas (definitely a possibility, could swap them around with Salt Lake City or San Diego), Sacramento (a different California city! This time in the North to be more of a rival with the Sharks), Portland (build out that Northwest block with the Canucks and Kraken), and Houston (if the Coyotes don't just move there in a couple of years). 

I don't think we'll ever see an NHL team back in Hartford or Atlanta. They may try again in Atlanta because of how they botched the Thrashers but it's a hard sell. I think we'll see one of Austin, San Antonio, or Houston get an NHL team (again, gut says Austin so that the NHL can be trailblazers there). And I just don't see an NHL team being added to Canada outside of a Nordiques return.

I won't be shocked if we get at least one more expansion team before the end of the decade. Maybe two.

Edited by Quantum
  • Hydration 2

Sure hope they are done for awhile.   It already takes a top team going to a full rebuilding team a decade to get back to decent.    Personally i'm all for retraction.   But as long as people keep going this won't stop.  On ice play has finally caught up with last rounds of expansion, talent has finally approached late mid 90's levels too.   Sure hope nothing happens fast. 

• Hydration 2

Im more in favour of poorer performing teams moving or folding myself, but if we have to have 36 i want more teams on the western half. I would love to get our travel down a bit. So austin would be the furthest east i would go and portland would definitely be a great option. If salt lake city could support it fantastic and san diego wouldnt be a horrible option. Quebec can have the panthers move there.

Heres my rough division make up.

Northwest.

Vancouver

Edmonton

Calgary

Winnipeg

Seattle

Portland

Salt Lake City

Colorado

Minnesota

Southwest

San Jose

Los Angeles

Anaheim

San Diego

Las Vegas

Arizona

Dallas

Austin

St Louis

Northeast

Toronto

Montreal

Quebec city

Ottawa

Buffalo

Detroit

Chicago

Pittsburgh

Columbus 

Southeast

Tampa Bay 

Carolina

Nashville

Washington

Philadelphia 

Ny Islanders

Ny Rangers

Boston

New Jersey

Edited by Hamhuis Hip Check

5 hours ago, Iron Fist said:

They have plans for 36 teams eventually. they will go to city close to each other

No they won't.  NHL will go to cities that have the largest TV audience.  The money is not in ticket sales -- it is in untapped TV/media markets.  Why do you think Sunrise, FLA and Phoenix, AZ have teams when their attendance (pre-COVID) is so poor?  Only exception will be Quebec City (i.e., same reason why NHL is in Winnipeg).

Houston, TX, the fourth most populated city in the USA will most likely be next.

4 hours ago, Bombastik der Teutone said:

Wow , Middle/Northwest USA pretty dead . i guess there are no Towns in Idaho,  Montana ,Wyoming , Dakota that could handle a Top League Team. 

With how Boise ID population growth is going, wouldn't count it out if expansion occurs in the next decade.