The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Bruins re-sign Taylor Hall

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Signing] Bruins re-sign Taylor Hall

Little much for Hall, but he is the Beats of NHL players. Kudos to him for finding a way to get good paydays for okay play. Although he was near a PPG with Boston. So maybe this will look good for them. Injury prone, defensive liability, brings slightly more offense than Tanner Pearson does, and is physically non existent. If he can stay healthy he should be good for at least 60+ points.

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Little much for Hall, but he is the Beats of NHL players. Kudos to him for finding a way to get good paydays for okay play. Although he was near a PPG with Boston. So maybe this will look good for them. Injury prone, defensive liability, brings slightly more offense than Tanner Pearson does, and is physically non existent. If he can stay healthy he should be good for at least 60+ points.

Hall is an elite 1st line winger. 6 million for 4 years is great for a player like Hall. This is the kind of free agent signing I wish Benning could actually do

9 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Hall is an elite 1st line winger. 6 million for 4 years is great for a player like Hall. This is the kind of free agent signing I wish Benning could actually do

Eliter 1st line winger? Averaged 16 minutes a game in Boston, and that's rounding up from 15 minutes. He's pretty average at best. Scored more than 25 goals 4 times in his 11 year career. Has scored more than 60 points in a season 3 times over that same time span.  He is, like I said, terrible defensively. And for a one dimensional player, isn't even that prolific at scoring. He has 596 points in 680 games, 0.87 points per game. Doesn't kill penalties. Like, I can't find a single thing about him that is elite level.

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Eliter 1st line winger? Averaged 16 minutes a game in Boston, and that's rounding up from 15 minutes. He's pretty average at best. Scored more than 25 goals 4 times in his 11 year career. Has scored more than 60 points in a season 3 times over that same time span.  He is, like I said, terrible defensively. And for a one dimensional player, isn't even that prolific at scoring. He has 596 points in 680 games, 0.87 points per game. Doesn't kill penalties. Like, I can't find a single thing about him that is elite level.

14 pts in 16 games in Boston that's a 70pt player in a 82 game season. 

Oh he's also a Hart trophy winner. You don't win a Hart if you aren't Elite. 

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

60+ points is "slightly more offense than Pearson brings"? Cmon. Even in his career year 20% of his points came with an empty net.

Hall was actually really good in Boston. He fit well in their system. Its a bit pricy but honestly any GM in the league would have probably signed that deal for him.

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

He'll probably continue to produce enough to warrant that - but is he a player you "win with"?  Maybe not a 'fair' question - but I've never found his hockey intelligence convincing.

Did you watch him play in the  playoffs?  He was a beast every shift out there.  Id take Hall on this team anyday.

The guy won league MVP a few years ago. That doesnt happen unless you have high hockey iq. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Did you watch him play in the  playoffs?  He was a beast every shift out there.  Id take Hall on this team anyday.

The guy won league MVP a few years ago. That doesnt happen unless you have high hockey iq. 

A 'beast' eh?

Meh.  If you'd said that about his end to the regular season I might not dispute it, but....

He had 5 pts in the playoffs - 3 even strength points, in 11 games - had the usual tilted ice to / he plays on - was a -2, the usual weak defensive metrics - a player that is notoriously about as vacant/inconsistent as they come off the puck.   You can take Taylor Hall out of Deadmonton, but I'm not sure you can take the Deadmonton out of Taylor Hall.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, oldnews said:

He'll probably continue to produce enough to warrant that - but is he a player you "win with"?  Maybe not a 'fair' question - but I've never found his hockey intelligence convincing.

I think so, as long as he isn't "the guy". Boston's 1st line is set, Hall as a secondary option is solid.

• 3 months later...
34 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Had 39 goals in 2017/18. What happened to this guy ? His stock has collapsed. I'd probably take him on his contract over Garlund.

More money, 4 years older, less points, big time injury history.... no way I take him over Garland.

• Like 1