The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning to speak to the media Thursday prior to draft

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

3 hours ago, kilgore said:

Add to that, the hours, days, months spent trying to finagle a way to re-sign Marky, (and Tanev) when he should have been concentrating on Toffoli, and to a lesser degree Stecher.  Still could have afforded Hamonic.

Even Tryamkin. Looking at Seattle's D size and Tampa's and Montreal's....we really could have used him.  Getting those players locked in, not signing Virtanen, Holtby. Buying out Sutter. We could have been sitting a little more comfortable.

Exactly… and hindsight is easy, but folks are welcome to go back and look at my posts and the time and I said those exact points.  A GM should be able to beat some dummy like me in decision making.

If Markstrom and Tanev price themselves out of our reach it would be sad but understandable to let them go.  Focus of Toffoli and Stecher who would be efficient signings.

Markstrom definitely priced himself out of our market.   No idea what Tanev would have cost to stay, maybe same deal but with one less year of term… maybe worth it, maybe not.  

Toffoli and Stecher instead of Virtanen and a cheap backup would have been night and day difference.  Instead we are looking at a big hit to future assets to find another top six forward.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That's the opposite of gambling.  

After we signed Holtby, these were the goalies that signed 1-way contracts that off-season (that we could've picked from). 

Anton Forsberg 700,000 (coming off a season where he only managed 3 starts in the NHL) 

Corey Crawford 3.9 mil 

Thomas Greiss 3.6 mil 

Mike Smith 1.5 mil 

Aaron Dell 800,00 (he posted a GAA higher then 4.1 and only managed to get 7 starts) 

Jake Allen 2.9 mil 

Alex Georgiev 2.5 mil 

Linus Ullmark 2.6 mil 

Provost you're not as bad as some other fans, but people treat this as if it was an EA Sports video game. 

First of all, just because you want a player doesn't mean that he will sign with you and not with one of the other 30 teams.  Second of all, players cost more then people think.  Everyone cherry picks one player that's a good value and conveniently ignores 10 other players. 

The other issue was the context of last off-season.  Demko had never been a starter.  Demko also has a really bad history of injuries that take him out of the lineup for months at a time (concussions and hip). I didn't feel comfortable letting go of Marky, and I totally get why Benning got the safest backup that could take over as a starter if he needed to. That safety net ended up costing us 2 million more then one of the other guys.  

I get that the two million extra gets tacked onto Luongo recapture, Loui's albatross and Roussell's injury riddled waste of cap.  I can't wait to get all this cap space freed up next year, but it's not a reason to bash Benning at every opportunity like we're seeing with a segment of our fanbase. 

This!!!

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lots of people wanted Benning to re-sign Markstrom and to trade Demko, knowing that Markstrom was the sure thing and that he was also a fan and club favourite.  It took balls for Benning to let Markstrom walk and put his faith into Demko for our future.  It looks like Benning made the right call.  But there is no way you can blame him for being extra cautious about bringing in a solid veteran Stanley Cup winner just in case Demko faltered.  If Demko was a sure thing slam dunk then nobody would have wanted to bring Markstrom back.  The fact that there was even debate as to who should be our #1 goalie moving forward tells you that alot of people still were not sold on Demko, or that they felt Markstrom was the better option.

Hindsight is 20/20.  At the end of the day the most important thing was that Benning kept Demko and let Markstrom walk.  Best decision he has made other than drafting Petey and Hughes.  Dealing with Holtby right now and his contract is much less of an issue than picking who your starting goalie is going to be for the next 5-7 years.  Holtby looks like he can be traded for positive value.  Worst case scenario he can be bought out for a small cap hit this year.  

That is an entirely different argument that what I responded to.

The claim was the Benning bet that Demko was ready to take the load as the starter.  Benning didn’t do that.

At the time I didn’t know whether Demko was ready or not either.  That isn’t what the poster claimed.

• RoughGame 1

I can understand why Canucks let Markstrom walk but I can't understand why they didn't extend Tanev. Tanev gets 4.5 M in Calgary. Instead of keeping Tanev let's say at 4.5 M and having the perfect partner for Hughes Canucks signed a LHD in Schmidt getting 6.0 M.

Schmidt - as we all know - struggeld at the right side in a shutdown role. Tanev would have been not only way cheaper but also way better than Schmidt. This take has NOTHING to do with hindsight.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

That's not the definition of a gamble if you're taking steps to ensure security.

I think signing a veteran goalie was a necessity, in case that Demko was a one-off success story. Also, it wouldn't have been good to overwhelm him with starter duties, in case he needed more development time. Clearly signing Holtby done out of an abundance of caution. Arguably, he was signed for too much. Yet the philosophy of insulating Demko was not wrong.

That wasn’t the claim.  I was totally fine signing a veteran back up.

The poster claimed that Benning knew that Demko was ready to be the full

time starter and therefore made the right decision on hindsight.  That is objectively false.

Benning had the the exact same mindset you and I had where a lot of insulation might be needed.  He didn’t bet that Demko was ready, he bet that Demko would be ready within a couple of years.

1 minute ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

ouch - 2015-

He is really ignoring reality if he thinks he’s not going to have to retain or add a sweetener on some of these contracts.

I mean I don’t like the thought of trading multiple seconds but if it’s the difference of being able to sign a key piece like Hamilton you do it.  

That being said maybe it’s a good thing if he doesn’t have cap space to throw around right now.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Apparently "millions in cap space" equates to $2.3 million now.

:lol:

If you don’t think that $2.3-3.3 million equals “millions”… you might want to go back to school.

Words have actual meanings, there is a book called a dictionary you can refer to for assistance

Take a break from your trite smarmy comments and educate yourself on basic English.

• RoughGame 2

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Focus of Toffoli and Stecher who would be efficient...

I wanted Toffoli re-signed too. It made no sense to me to trade assets for a guy, then not re-sign him to a reasonable contract that he WANTED to sign. Now we are still looking for that elusive RW. I get he helped push us to the playoffs, but to me, that's just not enough return on investment.

And although Stecher would have been, as you say, "efficient", I understand why Benning got Hamonic instead, and I think it was the right move. I still love Stech and was sad to see him go, but he's just not the imposing defender we need. All the best to him.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

What does everyone think of signing Khaira if he isn't tendered a qualifying offer from Edmonton he would probably slot into the fourth or maybe third line well.  The only issue was the fight with Ritchie and then the hit he took against Montreal that he was woozy from, but he could have a good year playing in his home province.

2 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Why is everyone pushing Benning to make cap room this off-season? To do this, he's going to be forced to give up assets in almost any scenario. Why not ride out the year when Roussel, Virtanen, Eriksson, Holtby, Beagle and Luongo will all be off the books - for free at the end of next season.

This is our exorcism season, this season, we purge!

*cue air raid sirens*

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He is really ignoring reality if he thinks he’s not going to have to retain or add a sweetener on some of these contracts.

I mean I don’t like the thought of trading multiple seconds but if it’s the difference of being able to sign a key piece like Hamilton you do it.  

That being said maybe it’s a good thing if he doesn’t have cap space to throw around right now.

Might be better to wait it out until next season when Eriksson Roussel and Beagle are off the books 

• Vintage 1

I would prefer Benning keep the assets and wait till next off season. Why squander what few chips we have to get temporary relief when whatever moves he would make won't make much of a difference this season anyway. It's not like we are two players away from being a contender. The only moves I want to see are for players who fit the age group going forward and who are affordable. Hopefully the team can at least be respectful this year.

Edited by JC2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, awalk said:

Has anyone mentioned that hindsight is 20/20 yet? 

That is a really odd take to the actual post which had nothing to do with whether the signing turned out to be right or wrong in the end… it was simply a statement of historical objective fact.

Heffy said that last season Benning sucessfully gambled on Demko being a full-time starter this past season and turned out to be right.

The response was that he didn’t actually make that gamble that was claimed and instead signed an expensive veteran 1B to pair with Demko literally because he didn’t want to gamble on Demko being ready to be the full-time starter.

That doesn’t have anything to do with whether it was the right decision at the time or turned out to be the wrong decision in the end… it was that the post was blatantly inaccurate.

The hindsight part was that Benning turned out to be wrong and Demko didn’t actually need another expensive starter to insulate him for a couple years before being ready to rake over.  The other hindsight was that Holtby’s bad years before signing with us turned out to not be a fluke and he performed badly here too, so

Benning and/or his staff were wrong on his pro scouting assessment.

Edited by Provost