The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning to speak to the media Thursday prior to draft

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

8 hours ago, Zhukini said:

How long are y'all willing to wait to see some forward progress? 1 more year? a 3rd round appearance 3 years from now? 

Sooner or later the bar has to be higher. 

Thanks for coming out, here's a ribbon.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

actually I'd be fine with swapping picks with CHI and taking Svechkov today if It meant bringing in Zadorov and clearing some cap. I wonder if CHI would move up to 9 for Zadorov and taking Roussel?

CHI is hornier then ever for Seth Jones.  Recent EFriedman article (maybe 12 hours now), indicates a deal is in place the two teams are trying to get the most out of it so not quite done.   For sure will include their pick plus CLB wants Debricant or Dach as the centrepiece.   So moving up might be the trick for that trade to work,  CHI trades our pick takes AR, and thats enough for CLB to stay at the table and get the deal done.    Also later in the article EF says these D's/guys available don't want to go to Canada, apparently the only one who's somewhat interested is Savard.   Sad if true but it does make sense. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

CHI is hornier then ever for Seth Jones.  Recent EFriedman article (maybe 12 hours now), indicates a deal is in place the two teams are trying to get the most out of it so not quite done.   For sure will include their pick plus CLB wants Debricant or Dach as the centrepiece.   So moving up might be the trick for that trade to work,  CHI trades our pick takes AR, and thats enough for CLB to stay at the table and get the deal done.    Also later in the article EF says these D's/guys available don't want to go to Canada, apparently the only one who's somewhat interested is Savard.   Sad if true but it does make sense. 

I'm not broken up over Jones not wanting to be here, I'm happy about it in fact. IMO he's over rated but we'll see. Lots of good old Canadian kids want to be here, and Swedes seem to love us. If we lose out on loud mouth Americans I feel blessed. 

Just looking over the draft board and a deal with CHI is pretty much as far as I would want to drop. If we miss out on Svechkov we can probably get one of Sillinger or Ceulemans. 

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

actually I'd be fine with swapping picks with CHI and taking Svechkov today if It meant bringing in Zadorov and clearing some cap. I wonder if CHI would move up to 9 for Zadorov and taking Roussel?

Zadorov is a big dude.   Has a better age range for our core but i am wondering what does he really add other then size?  Some fans want him gone, others want him re-signed.   Think he's got a decent chance of just being another Guddy who hits more.   Is that worth losing a chance at someone who could slip to us?  I'm not sure it is. 

That said wow it would be nice to have a giant back there who's only job is making lives miserable and likes to hit/punish guys.   And he's Russian.  Neat idea overall.   Sillinger would be fine. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

going to be really interesting how Canadian teams like WPG, MTL, VAN, EDM add to their top 4. Bidding war in free agency among these 4 teams to get Savard. Savard most likely will get paid like a Tyler Myers.

10 hours ago, Furevanucks said:

What does everyone think of signing Khaira if he isn't tendered a qualifying offer from Edmonton he would probably slot into the fourth or maybe third line well.  The only issue was the fight with Ritchie and then the hit he took against Montreal that he was woozy from, but he could have a good year playing in his home province.

He would bring some nice size to the 4th line, think he can PK a bit as well. Does that bump Highmore to 13th F if the 4th line is Motte Beagle Khaira?

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Zadorov is a big dude.   Has a better age range for our core but i am wondering what does he really add other then size?  Some fans want him gone, others want him re-signed.   Think he's got a decent chance of just being another Guddy who hits more.   Is that worth losing a chance at someone who could slip to us?  I'm not sure it is. 

I would have the deal ready to go after #8 is picked. If Hughes, McTavish, Clarke are gone then I'd want Jim to look at it. Svechkov looks like he might be a great pick, but it comes with that whole KHL waiting game, which looks to have been well worth it with Podkolzin.

We need to add some grit to the back end, and he fits the bill without needing to go crazy on a big contract. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

going to be really interesting how Canadian teams like WPG, MTL, VAN, EDM add to their top 4. Bidding war in free agency among these 4 teams to get Savard. Savard most likely will get paid like a Tyler Myers.

In that case no thanks.   Think we are better off just letting cap shed then using up some of next years, that said if it's the right player on a good deal then why not.    Pull the trigger.   There maybe three guys in the top nine that could see any NHL ice time - and two that could crack the lineups from the hop.   We'd have to wait until next year anyways. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

In that case no thanks.   Think we are better off just letting cap shed then using up some of next years, that said if it's the right player on a good deal then why not.    Pull the trigger.   There maybe three guys in the top nine that could see any NHL ice time - and two that could crack the lineups from the hop.   We'd have to wait until next year anyways. 

i am with you regarding "just letting cap shed". Think we need to wait another year and then Roussel's 3M and Beagle's 3M will be off the books giving us more cap flexibility.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I would have the deal really to go after #8 is picked. If Hughes, McTavish, Clarke are gone then I'd want Jim to look at it. Svechkov looks like he might be a great pick, but it comes with that whole KHL waiting game, which looks to have been well worth it with Podkolzin.

We need to add some grit to the back end, and he fits the bill without needing to go crazy on a big contract. 

Great call.   Yes wait.  Clarke is an automatic win.  Same with McTavish really, kid could play right away.   Sillinger could easily be this years Caufield except he's not pint sized.   Svechkov is less of a risk of signing and not coming for sometime with us then other teams.    Maybe he's already gone in which case we get two guys to choose from given that's off board a little.   Both him and Sillinger for sure have a great argument to be in the top ten.    Myers, Hamonic, Zadorov balance out Schmidt, Rathbone and QHs. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Great call.   Yes wait.  Clarke is an automatic win.  Same with McTavish really, kid could play right away.   Sillinger could easily be this years Caufield except he's not pint sized.   Svechkov is less of a risk of signing and not coming for sometime with us then other teams.    Maybe he's already gone in which case we get two guys to choose from given that's off board a little.   Both him and Sillinger for sure have a great argument to be in the top ten.    Myers, Hamonic, Zadorov balance out Schmidt, Rathbone and QHs. 

this consensus ranking has McTavish at 9: https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2021/7/22/22588437/2021-nhl-draft-rankings-consensus-power-beniers-lysell-bob-mckenzie-athletic-hockey-prospects-elite

So we definitely want to wait and see, but if Bettman does "we have a trade to announce" between 8 and 9 I'm hoping its for something like this. Please god not just to dump cash. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

i am with you regarding "just letting cap shed". Think we need to wait another year and then Roussel's 3M and Beagle's 3M will be off the books giving us more cap flexibility.

Plus LE's plus Luongo's, plus Holtbys.   Really we need to replace Beagle and Holtby out of that group.    That is a crap ton of extra cap in a flat cap environment which for sure will still exist.   It's ok to spend some early IF it makes sense.   Don't forget JV too lol.   Wow a lot of dough.  We were lucky with Hogs, he filled the void for Miller's void.   That said we still haven't filled the OJ void which really should have been a slam dunk.   Hopefully OJ and Rathbone can both make it as NHLer's.    And Podz is the lion we hope we have. 

30 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Would that mean these two teams would have to make a nudge, nudge, wink, wink deal with all the teams in between to make that happen. Now that, would be a deal I'd be all over. I'm very intrigued with Svechkov, but lets say if Hughes or McTavish were available at 9, then what? Having those two Russians available to join up with VP in a few years would be epic.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, johngould21 said:

Would that mean these two teams would have to make a nudge, nudge, wink, wink deal with all the teams in between to make that happen. Now that, would be a deal I'd be all over. I'm very intrigued with Svechkov, but lets say if Hughes or McTavish were available at 9, then what? Having those two Russians available to join up with VP in a few years would be epic.

I think if Hughes and McTavish are there for us you grab them up. But if not, why not move down a bit to grease the wheels for CHI to get Jones and we benefit with a big scary dman? I'd want Rousell added to that deal too. 

I'm asking for a lot, but there seems to be a bright line this draft with the top 9 so we'd be trading down a tier so that should come with some benefit. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 7/21/2021 at 3:18 PM, GarthButcher5 said:

Don't forget the, "it's not an easy climate to make trades...." or " trades are hard".

Both true statements. How much experience do you have as a NHL GM?

8 hours ago, Provost said:

That is a really odd take to the actual post which had nothing to do with whether the signing turned out to be right or wrong in the end… it was simply a statement of historical objective fact.

Heffy said that last season Benning sucessfully gambled on Demko being a full-time starter this past season and turned out to be right.

The response was that he didn’t actually make that gamble that was claimed and instead signed an expensive veteran 1B to pair with Demko literally because he didn’t want to gamble on Demko being ready to be the full-time starter.

That doesn’t have anything to do with whether it was the right decision at the time or turned out to be the wrong decision in the end… it was that the post was blatantly inaccurate.

The hindsight part was that Benning turned out to be wrong and Demko didn’t actually need another expensive starter to insulate him for a couple years before being ready to rake over.  The other hindsight was that Holtby’s bad years before signing with us turned out to not be a fluke and he performed badly here too, so

Benning and/or his staff were wrong on his pro scouting assessment.

Oh I was just being sarcastic about how many people were trying to tell you hindsight is 20/20 which is a really weak response lmao 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Has anyone ever considered that Holtby might hold an important mentorship to Demko. Ya know Stanley cup and all.

I’m guessing probably not. Easy for us to stare at numbers with our asses glued to the couch. Especially after the fact 

You too? The folks at Elmer's said they were sending someone but I'm still stuck and waiting ...

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this consensus ranking has McTavish at 9: https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2021/7/22/22588437/2021-nhl-draft-rankings-consensus-power-beniers-lysell-bob-mckenzie-athletic-hockey-prospects-elite

So we definitely want to wait and see, but if Bettman does "we have a trade to announce" between 8 and 9 I'm hoping its for something like this. Please god not just to dump cash. 

McTavish was ranked 9 by THN in their recent draft preview, they use the average of 10 nhl scouts.   ISS who's only job is to rank him has him at 5.  McKenzie at 4...not sure all 15 are created equally but i'm a fan and like him more then Johnson.   McTavish range is low too from this article...seems to be safer that way (maybe that means less upside?).   Edvinsson is like this years Broberg - some have him as high as 2 (THN) others way way down the list.   Plus he's a LHD so no thanks but with JB it's impossible to know who he likes...maybe it's Lucias lol.   And the CDC will freak out. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think if Hughes and McTavish are there for us you grab them up. But if not, why not move down a bit to grease the wheels for CHI to get Jones and we benefit with a big scary dman? I'd want Rousell added to that deal too. 

I'm asking for a lot, but there seems to be a bright line this draft with the top 9 so we'd be trading down a tier so that should come with some benefit. 

I've never seen so many mock drafts change as often as this years top 9. What if they fall the way they were first predicted? Either way, this Covid year is proving even more confusing than ever. Roussel would be a great plum to add to the deal. JB should buy a lottery ticket if that happened.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Trading down so a team gets his guy isn't cheap.    For sure we could do that deal because even CHI is uncertain if they want to keep him and Jones knocks them down a spot.   No Keith but you can be sure they are happy about that too.   We could get their second for that deal for example...

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3