The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning to speak to the media Thursday prior to draft

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He really does...  I totally why he gets the public appearance amongst fans that label him as a bit slow; it's his honesty and the fact that he always answers questions that he sometimes shouldn't even be answering.  

Luckily, he's a great talent evaluator and seems to have good relationships amongst other GMs.  

Does anyone remember how much resistance to trades Gillis faced when he was hired as our GM?  He came in from being one of the super agents, and then became a GM and a lot of GMs wouldn't make deals with him

Sure do!  Especially after he stole Erhoff off of the sharks.  He was not liked amongst his peers.... He had to win trades and that rubbed the other GM's the wrong way.  He just had an aire about him that came off as arrogant.  Sometimes spoke in a condescending tone.  He made some great trades when other GM's worked with him for sure.  He had some good innovative ideas too. Just the worst draft GM in canucks history!!!

3 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Can you please elaborate on Gillis facing resistance? I do not know what happened back then.

It was speculated/reported locally that a lot of GMs didn't really like Mike Gillis from his days as an agent and so were reluctant to make trades with him to help him out. I used to listen to Team 1040 back then and read the Vancouver Sun / The Province, so take that as you will. 

5 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It was speculated/reported locally that a lot of GMs didn't really like Mike Gillis from his days as an agent and so were reluctant to make trades with him to help him out. I used to listen to Team 1040 back then and read the Vancouver Sun / The Province, so take that as you will. 

Yeah thats not true

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yeah thats not true

Is this something that was shot down or are you just stating your opinion on the matter? 

11 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

My opinion yes, im usually spot on with these sorta things.

Not here... It was well know in the industry that Gillis was not popular within the GM circle.  Much of that was due to his shrewd negotiator that went to the wall for his clients.  His rep preceded him as he was transitioning to the GM position.  It's an old boys club and his forward innovated way thinking and past dealing with his peers made for limited opportunities to do business with.  Case and point.... He hasn't gotten a GM job since.... And he came 1 game from winning it all.

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Hogs & Podz said:

Nor here... It was well know in the within the industry that Gillis was not popular within the GM circle.  Much of that was due to his shrewd negotiator that went to the wall for his clients.  His rep preceded him as he was transitioning to the GM position.  It's an old boys club and his forward innovated way thinking and past dealing with his peers made for limited opportunities to do business with.  Case and point.... He hasn't gotten a GM job since.... And he came 1 game from winning it all.

Yeah what the hell do i know lol

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I think this is where he shoots himself in the foot the most.

Make the moves and then tell fans why you did them. Don’t make all these claims about what you wanna do then not deliver.

He just gives the media and fans way too much ammo.

Green needs to give him poker lessons.

15 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I trust Benning's knowledge, but he's got to be the most dry and boring interview in the history of the Canucks!

Umm.  How long have you been watching the Canucks.   That honour unequivocally goes to Markus Naslund.   

Just lost a big series ending game "Apathy, dry, dry, dry, apathetic stance with hands on hips, dry dry dry".   Just won a huge series winning game.   "Ap ethic stance, dry, dry, small hint of a smile but then you have to freeze frame it, dry dry, apathy - and you think to yourself "should this guy be on anti-depressants?"  

• Haha 1

As long as this interview isn't like the OJ pre-draft one, when we basically tell the entire hockey world we want to pick PLD.  

JB "we are looking at a few players and one stands out with where we should be picking."   " He's already built for the NHL and plays and plays Center"  ... "His name rhymes with a guy who for years was a two way ace in the dot that played for the Oilers and then went into management after his career was over".  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We looked into it but the price was too high to trade Holtby. 

I like Jim for the most part, but that reality of a 9 mil black hole in the cap prevents anything major from going on in free agency. Unless the announcement is Loui is doing the honourable thing and terminating there won't be much to discuss. 

I don't know that we want to move Nate unless its for a RHD replacement but again, not just anyone. I don't see Risto e.g. as an upgrade. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He really does...  I totally why he gets the public appearance amongst fans that label him as a bit slow; it's his honesty and the fact that he always answers questions that he sometimes shouldn't even be answering.  

Luckily, he's a great talent evaluator and seems to have good relationships amongst other GMs.  

Does anyone remember how much resistance to trades Gillis faced when he was hired as our GM?  He came in from being one of the super agents, and then became a GM and a lot of GMs wouldn't make deals with him. 

I remember.   And this is a good synopsis.   For me personally, it's refreshing to have a GM who's respected by his peers (MG wasn't at the start, gained some traction and then completely ruined whatever capital he had when it came time to trade a goalie more or less, and had a snide look to him in every interview right from the start to the end).   

JB has issues too that he created.   But as a long time fan only Quin also made a team that was basically all his and even then not quite.   JB is the second  GM in our history if Edler doesn't come back, that had created a team 100% on his own.  Willing to wait it out and see what he can do from a position of mediocrity or hopefully power. 

• Upvote 2