Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning to speak to the media Thursday prior to draft

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Yes it sure does.  Timed the cores ascension off by one year.   I'm grateful we have a core though.   Draft balls didn't do us any favours, same with covid and flat cap.   Luongo is on MG BUT JB should have also factored that in.    We are close to competing but it won't be this year.    We could make the show but i'm glad he's not ruining all that drafting just to shed cap.   If he does that then i'm not going to be happy about JB one bit.   Timing is one year out.   We could still make the playoffs with this group - but no way i want to shed cap just to boost our chances given the cost.    Nonis had one of our best drafts ever his first crack at it, then meh to bad and MG six years were down right awful.   JB came to the rescue on that front.  

 

That said i'm waiting for a trade.  Can't build a team just on BPA.   

But he did, it'll happen next year like you said.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

He it's recess take a break

You just got schooled by yourself in the other thread lmfao.

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Screw Benning's press conference. Does anyone know if the Oilers are going to have one? I want to hear the Edmonton media completely wreck Holland giving up assets for Keith over letting Larsson walk - that would be way more entertaining :lol:

  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

 

I would for sure rather watch and listen to honest Jim over sweating, red, conniving face Gillis, lol.

I would rather listen to a man that has a good command of the English language, can hold his own as a lawyer and Prof at a university than a a man that if the quip "You know " was exluded from his vocabulary he'd be speechless.

 

ps I'm not a fan of a man that needs to dye his hair either but that's just me, he looks like fool 

Edited by Fred65
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I would rather listen to a man that has a good command of the English language, can hold his oown a lawyer and Prof at a university than a a man that if the quip "You know " was exluded from his vocabulary he's be speechless.

 

ps I'm not a fan of a man that needs to dye his hair either but that's just me, he looks like fool 

To each their own Fred. I do respect a good command of the English language but I respect good people far more, regardless of their speaking style.

  • Hydration 3
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

There's too many similar threads. I'm confused. ::D

 

Totally walked himself into this...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

It's been a decade. Still not even a playoff team.

Decade since we went to the final yes.   Third time in history.   No surprise here that it will take a little longer each time since the first time there were only 20 teams ... And then we won the presidents trophy again the next year, had one down year and finished think either 7th or 8th overall one more time.   Can't rebuild a team easily with a bunch of guys who don't want to or aren't willing to waive can you?    And nine freaking years of drafting and all it got was Horvat, Hutton and Coho... just wow. 

 

Edit:  I've been following this team for a long time now, the only time we had this much young talent all at once was the late 70's early 80's, and when we drafted Nedved (to add to Bure and Linden), that could actually carry the mail right off the hop.   It's far from the norm to get three calder finalists in a row even if you loaded up on first overalls like EDM.   a 22, a 5th and 7th.   Nobody can say they "dropped on our lap" that's BS, he still drafted them with other better players on the board according to the average aggregates anyways.   So blah.   I'm willing to wait another year, and maybe i even hope we get one more high pick.   Unfortunately that's how it works these days.   Just ask ATL/WNP, CLB, what it's like to start from scratch.   Or CAR who won a cup then eventually missed the playoffs for an entire decade.  Or EDM who went to the final and have had two entire playoffs since.  Or Buffalo.   TO ... i wouldn't trade our team for theirs no thx, that model is flawed.   NYR cheated the system, a decent tactic which rarely works.  SJ... lol see you later like in a decade.   DET our closest comp, is at least two or three years behind us.   OTT ...  doing it right and nothing mad respect for them.   Nice to have assets to sell isn't it?  

 

Speaking of which ... pretty sure that will be us within the next 18 months ... one or maybe two of Horvat, Miller or BB will be recycled to build behind Podz, QHs and EP.  

 

History has a pattern of repeating itself.   94-2011... 17 years ... last time was 13 years ... it's likely on average, with a 32 maybe even 36 team league vs 20 teams that the gap is going to increase each time.   3-4 more years at least makes sense.   So we are looking at EP, QHs, Podz etc in their late 20's early 30's and part of another core on average before we make it to the final again.   Think late 2020's even early 2030's...actually that's probably optimistic.   It is what it is, like i said send your complaints to Bettman, anything before that would be above average.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

To each their own Fred. I do respect a good command of the English language but I respect good people far more, regardless of their speaking style.

Fair enough. I think more than a few fans didn't like Gillis because they thought he spoke down to them, and maybe that was a flaw, but me I'm looking for the content rather than ..... well ....you know what I mean ::D

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Decade since we went to the final yes.   Third time in history.   No surprise here that it will take a little longer each time since the first time there were only 20 teams ... And then we won the presidents trophy again the next year, had one down year and finished think either 7th or 8th overall one more time.   Can't rebuild a team easily with a bunch of guys who don't want to or aren't willing to waive can you?    And nine freaking years of drafting and all it got was Horvat, Hutton and Coho... just wow. 

There we go again.... drafting ad nausea and blind to success

  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Decade since we went to the final yes.   Third time in history.   No surprise here that it will take a little longer each time since the first time there were only 20 teams ... And then we won the presidents trophy again the next year, had one down year and finished think either 7th or 8th overall one more time.   Can't rebuild a team easily with a bunch of guys who don't want to or aren't willing to waive can you?    And nine freaking years of drafting and all it got was Horvat, Hutton and Coho... just wow. 

Gillis was GM for six years (granted the one Torts year felt like 10 years lol).

 

edit:  how the **** did Kevin Connauton manage 320 games at the NHL level or better yet, why the **** did Gillis trade that prospect (then) for Roy (actually even trade for that stiff)?:lol:

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Gillis was GM for six years (granted the one Torts year felt like 10 years lol).

 

edit:  how the **** did Kevin Connauton manage 320 games at the NHL level or better yet, why the **** did Gillis trade that prospect (then) for Roy (actually even trade for that stiff)?:lol:

Sure there were other guys drafted.   I was being generous by saying Horvat, Hutton and Coho ... Hutton and Coho meh.    Nonis first draft was as good as any JB has had probably.   After that ... 9 freaking years of an entire wasteland really with the exception of Horvat who was an awesome awesome pick. 

 

Let's just say.   Really.   Only Milford drafted as well year after year as JB has.   Burke had the best draft ever, even better then Bure, by drafting both Sedins.   Aside from the Sedins (well actually including them) it's referred to as the worst draft year ever in the history of drafting in the NHL.   He also wasted picks on plugs like Allen ... and Quin did two with Antonski and Stajanov back to back.    So far the worst JB did was OJs draft year.   If he comes along and plays 1000 games joke is on us.  Second worse is JV.. but that still was a good draft for us. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sure there were other guys drafted.   I was being generous by saying Horvat, Hutton and Coho ... Hutton and Coho meh.    Nonis first draft was as good as any JB has had probably.   After that ... 9 freaking years of an entire wasteland really with the exception of Horvat who was an awesome awesome pick. 

 

Let's just say.   Really.   Only Milford drafted as well year after year as JB has.   Burke had the best draft ever, even better then Bure, by drafting both Sedins.   Aside from the Sedins (well actually including them) it's referred to as the worst draft year ever in the history of drafting in the NHL.   He also wasted picks on plugs like Allen ... and Quin did too with Antonski and Stajanov back to back.    So far the worst JB did was OJs draft year.   If he comes along and plays 1000 games joke is on us. 

Burke's main issue was his inability to draft or trade for a goalie.  The only Cup he won as a GM.....he inherited that legit starting goalie from previous managenemt.  Even Dave Nonis was able to get a goalie (Luongo).

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Fair enough. I think more than a few fans didn't like Gillis because they thought he spoke down to them, and maybe that was a flaw, but me I'm looking for the content rather than ..... well ....you know what I mean ::D

MG had some great attributes i wish JB had (but maybe he does and we just don't know about it, MG did like to make sure the media knew he was doing cool stuff)...like adding sleep specialists, making a pro environment from top to bottom, spending on doctors and other things to make the players get the best of the best (oxygen tanks?)... Don't at all mind that he went for it.   Gave our second or third best team on paper, the best chance to win it all.   First best was Quins when Messier signed.   Absolutely sick.   If he just came in, changed his number, didn't rock any boats, helped Bure stay and fell in line behind Linden as the second line C (to then he was still a max producer in the league) we'd have maybe had a dynasty.    Second best for me is the early 90's teams, simply because head to head they'd have destroyed the 2011 in a 7 game series with a red line etc.  And McLean, Linden, Babcyh, Courtnall, Adam, Ronning etc all elevated their games come post season ... something the Twins never did ... Bure was equal to the task too.   Kesler and Bieksa were the only two guys we had that really did that on the 2011 team ... Lumme Murzyn, Babych Diduck, Brown and whomever were also equal to the task as far as D depth goes.    We had the strongest man in the league back then in Babych, and no little players on the D line.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Nonis is severely underrated here.  He stood up to ownership and lost his job instead of trading Kesler and Edler for a Brad Richards rental.  I have him as our third best GM behind Quinn and Burke.

Agreed.   But Milford needs to be there before Nonis is. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Nonis is severely underrated here.  He stood up to ownership and lost his job instead of trading Kesler and Edler for a Brad Richards rental.  I have him as our third best GM behind Quinn and Burke.

Was the Laffs GM when they finally made the playoffs after like a decade of golfing early I think.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IBatch said:

Agreed.   But Milford needs to be there before Nonis is. 

Milford had to deal with an era when there was no cap (and owners, however well intentioned, didn't have the deep pockets and.or the willingness to spend such money like our current owners).

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Nonis is severely underrated here.  He stood up to ownership and lost his job instead of trading Kesler and Edler for a Brad Richards rental.  I have him as our third best GM behind Quinn and Burke.

Quin is still my favourite.   As far as drafting goes, even considering ADP or average draft position, Milford is the best, followed by JB.   Given we are rebuilding that's the most important metric for now.   Quin by far is the best trader.   The Butcher trade did so much for our early 90's team ... only trade that can match up with the Stajanov and Linden trade...which just died after all these years when JM signed in CAL. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Milford had to deal with an era when there was no cap (and owners, however well intentioned, didn't have the deep pockets and.or the willingness to spend such money like our current owners).

Sure did.  Trading Vaive... ouch but Williams was such a star in his own way... I think Milford doesn't get the credit he should get and is often forgotten.   Quin for sure is the man for now.   Burke vs Milford i'd only give it to Burke because he was with the club for so darn long.   Burke never fixed our goaltending.   Or helped with depth scoring major fail really. 

 

Edit: It was Burke who made sure under Quins request, that Bure was actually a legal pick.   Funny thing is Burke still didn't want Quin to pick him anyways ... same as it ever was "that's a small body gentleman, a small body".... lol.   That pair... Ohlund and Jovo barely made their height and weight restrictions for D's back then, we're on the Hamhuis scale as barely enough...

Edited by IBatch
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...