The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Rangers to trade for Giordano after ED

3 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

So no extra picks or anything to Seattle .  Vegas rocked it compared to Seattle.  

Vegas had the benefit of going first. Teams were more cautious this time around and played games of chicken exposing high priced superstars.

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Vegas had the benefit of going first. Teams were more cautious this time around and played games of chicken exposing high priced superstars.

To me it’s not so much a game of chicken as a garage sale advertisement of who each team deemed expendable.
It’s a bit of a glimpse for us fans as to who and what could be available by trade, and a bit embarrassing for some of the upper tier players too.

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

Although it’s unlikely, I’m wondering if a Larsson for Schmidt deal of sorts could happen? (Although I doubt it since the Kraken signed Larsson to such a great deal).

No, as they signed Larsson as a UFA and gave him a full NTC, so they won't be trading him. Otherwise he would have just signed with VAN instead when the window opens for free agency.

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, RWJC said:

To me it’s not so much a game of chicken as a garage sale advertisement of who each team deemed expendable.
It’s a bit of a glimpse for us fans as to who and what could be available by trade, and a bit embarrassing for some of the upper tier players too.

So now the players weren't taken and were deemed expendable? An awkward situation for these teams to put their players in, so I doubt it. Price expendable? Voracek expendable? Giordano expendable? Etc. They knew these players were expensive and Seattle would have to decide if it was worth taking up that cap space and using up that money all in the first season.

Seattle was asking for 1sts to take on cap. Teams knew they didn't want to take on big cap for nothing. I don't think teams wanted to lose guys like Price, etc, but they took a gamble that Seattle wouldn't take them due to their salaries/cap and they didn't, except Giordano.

44 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Vegas also had the benefit of Columbus Minnesota Florida Anaheim hooking them up as the last expansion franchises. Seattle wasn't on the cards then.  Seattle didn't have that luxury and will only get help from Vegas or Nashville as Cap dumping yard.

14 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

So now the players weren't taken and were deemed expendable? An awkward situation for these teams to put their players in, so I doubt it. Price expendable? Voracek expendable? Giordano expendable? Etc. They knew these players were expensive and Seattle would have to decide if it was worth taking up that cap space and using up that money all in the first season.

Seattle was asking for 1sts to take on cap. Teams knew they didn't want to take on big cap for nothing. I don't think teams wanted to lose guys like Price, etc, but they took a gamble that Seattle wouldn't take them due to their salaries/cap and they didn't, except Giordano.

Why  has Voracek’s name come up in trade rumours? JVR? Johanssen? Duchene? Subban? Skinner? Domi? Etc etc 

These are players that were once considered franchise cornerstone players and yet the team is looking to move on from each of them.

Sure a couple players were calculated risks, but for the most part what you saw was what each team considers its core group going forward. That motivates some players on the outside to become better and it causes other to want a change of scenery.

Think about it…you’re earning 7+ mill on a term contract and your team leaves you exposed to an expansion team starting from scratch.

At 7+ mill you’re paid for expected performance and leadership. You’re paid that much because you are supposed to be part of that core.

Instead, and quite obviously the team couldn’t trade you prior to that protection list to recoup assets for the loss of you. That means other teams don’t even value you high enough for the money to want to acquire you, let alone protect you as part of their core. Then the expansion team passes on you.

How would you feel?  For some I guess they couldn’t care less because they have a guaranteed contract. Maybe it’s just me but I’d be embarrassed as hell.

Anyway, when I say expendable it’s not applicable to everyone who was available (eg. Ovy, Price, etc) but hard to argue a player isn’t expendable when your team basically says you can have them for free.

3 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I just had my first drink in a few years, and I'm really $&!#ty at predicting trades, so skewer away folks.

Benning will announce:

To Seattle: Elias Pettersson

To Vancouver: Adam Larsson

To Vancouver: Seattle's first crack at the 2021 Entry Draft

(Would ya do it?)

4th beer question. 

Was the beer laced with anything else? PCP perhaps? JK

This likely will not occur in this dimension or any other. 

21 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Why  has Voracek’s name come up in trade rumours? JVR? Johanssen? Duchene? Subban? Skinner? Domi? Etc etc 

These are players that were once considered franchise cornerstone players and yet the team is looking to move on from each of them.

Sure a couple players were calculated risks, but for the most part what you saw was what each team considers its core group going forward. That motivates some players on the outside to become better and it causes other to want a change of scenery.

Think about it…you’re earning 7+ mill on a term contract and your team leaves you exposed to an expansion team starting from scratch.

At 7+ mill you’re paid for expected performance and leadership. You’re paid that much because you are supposed to be part of that core.

Instead, and quite obviously the team couldn’t trade you prior to that protection list to recoup assets for the loss of you. That means other teams don’t even value you high enough for the money to want to acquire you, let alone protect you as part of their core. Then the expansion team passes on you.

How would you feel?  For some I guess they couldn’t care less because they have a guaranteed contract. Maybe it’s just me but I’d be embarrassed as hell.

Anyway, when I say expendable it’s not applicable to everyone who was available (eg. Ovy, Price, etc) but hard to argue a player isn’t expendable when your team basically says you can have them for free.

And when I say teams were gambling on the big contracts, I certainly wasn't saying every big contract. I certainly wouldn't include Subban and Skinner in this conversation.

Johansen and Duchene are a prime example of it though. Now I understand your point in making them "expendable", but it's not that they want to lose one of their top 2 centermen, but it's because they knew they were high salaried/cap players, so they took the gamble by protecting their dmen. It's not like in this case or others I have mentioned that they will go and start putting them on waivers or something and hope some team picks them up for free, these were calculated moves for expansion reasons, ones where teams probably have discussed with said players as to why they're being exposed other than saying "hey we don't need you anymore".

Now could it also be motivation for some as well, maybe. But I think it's pretty clear on which players were of real note as opposed to some bad contracts. Seattle made it clear that they were putting a premium on taking on cap/salary, so it kind of revealed their hand that they weren't really interested in doing so right off the bat unless it made sense for them long term.

41 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I just had my first drink in a few years, and I'm really $&!#ty at predicting trades, so skewer away folks.

Benning will announce:

To Seattle: Elias Pettersson

To Vancouver: Adam Larsson

To Vancouver: Seattle's first crack at the 2021 Entry Draft

(Would ya do it?)

4th beer question. 

Lol wut? Of course not are you nuts?

• Hydration 1