The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kracken= Money Puck

Rate this topic

He’s not a simpleton. I think what’s happening is he’s trying to suffocate options for other GMs so that there becomes a highly competitive marketplace in trying to land a partner for the cap dump. He will squeeze everything he can out of any GM that is trying to ship off a Tarasenko by reducing their options to either trade bad money for bad money or accept losses (eg. Future picks) to mitigate another loss.  

The big thing to consider too is teams having to be cap compliant. Most will likely want to rid themselves of cap ASAP so that they can effectively plan for this off-season (resign players) and move forward.  I think SEA will only benefit hand over fist if this is what was Francis’ intention and why he selected who he did in the ED.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

In my most unprofessional and unqualified opinion, I think he's overthinking the game. He's acquired some older players like Eberle, mixed in with some really unproven/underrated guys, but I don't really see a pattern with that team. He could've chosen some better players (not journeyman players like Rayheuther from Columbus) and still kept within an internal cap. Kole Lind - where does he fit on the team? Why did they pick the player who had 7 NHL games with 0 points? He's very likely to go back to the AHL, which means waivers, which means a wasted pick.

I'm totally not a fan of Seattle's expansion, and if I was a fan of the team, I'd feel let down. The players they brought in aren't really "marketable" or "exciting" players, minus guys like Eberle.

I’m not advocating their picks… just trying to make sense of it all…. More news will break tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

He’s not a simpleton. I think what’s happening is he’s trying to suffocate options for other GMs so that there becomes a highly competitive marketplace in trying to land a partner for the cap dump. He will squeeze everything he can out of any GM that is trying to ship off a Tarasenko by reducing their options to either trade bad money for bad money or accept losses (eg. Future picks) to mitigate another loss.  

The big thing to consider too is teams having to be cap compliant. Most will likely want to rid themselves of cap ASAP so that they can effectively plan for this off-season (resign players) and move forward.  I think SEA will only benefit hand over fist if this is what was Francis’ intention and why he selected who he did in the ED.

You don't really benefit by getting journeyman players, some of whom have barely any NHl experience.

Haydn Fleury, for example, is a consensus pick of a first round bust. I'm not knocking the guy's character, but I don't think Anaheim lost any sleep at all because of him ggoing

Underwhelming picks by Francis. If this analytics thing doesn't pan out for Seattle, we'll have yet another team that tried to "outthink" the competition.

Edited by Dazzle

I like what the Kraken built. Great call. Big, tough, hard to play against. This is exactly what I always wanted JB to do. No offense against Michaelis Vess or Teves and Rafferty. But why we keep bring in small dudes. We need guys that can close those gaps hard. Make room for our skill guys. Even OJ I didn't like when we had bigger guys available (who have proven me right). We're going to get bashed big time. Even by baby Tanev. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Eberle is not an example of Moneyball, nor is Larsson.

In fact, much of their acquisitions don't make any sense. There's no sense of identity. Their D is so unproven. At the same time, they signed Larsson for four years.

I think Seattle is gonna be a bottom feeding team next year. Disastrous expansion draft imho.

Francis seems to be doing the opposite of Vegas - a team that is in a non hockey market; and a bad start would had buried that team with no fanbase.  

Imo, Francis is acquiring these big tickets as tradable assets later on.

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

You don't really benefit by getting journeyman players, some of whom have barely any NHl experience.

Haydn Fleury, for example, is a consensus pick of a first round bust. I'm not knocking the guy's character, but I don't think Anaheim lost any sleep at all because of him ggoing

Underwhelming picks by Francis. If this analytics thing doesn't pan out for Seattle, we'll have yet another team that tried to "outthink" the competition.

Before the trade to Anaheim, Carolina broadcasters were quite impressed by the progress made by Fleury and felt he had become a reliable regular.  He's not going to live up to his draft position but he should be a solid 3rd pairing D for them.

Seattle had to pick 30 players.  Not all can make the NHL roster.  They have an agreement with Florida to send 8 to 12 players to the Charlotte Checkers.

Last time around Vegas had some trouble moving their excess players.  They made only 5 trades where they moved players picked out (Emelin, Schlemko, Pickard, van Riemsdyk and Methot).  Three went to free agency and 2 were sent to the AHL + Stoner went on LTIR.  The 19 others played games for them but some didn't last past the season.

The deals during the expansion process are where they cashed in, but this time around GMs weren't going to pay the price asked to have Seattle pick a certain player and/or stay clear from others.

• Cheers 1

With so much cap space, you wonder who they're going to trade for. They've got some nice pieces but lacking top end quality so I wonder...maybe the 2nd overall is in play? 

They might just sit on the cap space as well, might sign UFAs, who knows maybe management don't want to spend?

11 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Eberle is not an example of Moneyball, nor is Larsson.

In fact, much of their acquisitions don't make any sense. There's no sense of identity. Their D is so unproven. At the same time, they signed Larsson for four years.

I think Seattle is gonna be a bottom feeding team next year. Disastrous expansion draft imho.

Hmmm.   Wonder what team has cap space this year to pick one of the 5-6 LWs (not including Ovi) available this year still (UFAs)....Or go hard after Hamilton.   Larsson 4 x 4 is a team friendly deal.   They also have no state tax so 34.6 instead of 53% tax bracket makes it pretty easy to do just that (we'd have to offer 4.6 for it to be comparable).   Hamilton at 8 there is 8.5 in even CAR, 8.5 in Seattle almost 10 in Vancouver or MTL.     Their D for one year has Gio, Larson, that giant who paired with Hieskenen in Dallas, Dunn who has top pairing upside, Soucy who was the toughest D we played against in MIN etc...and is mostly young really.  Lots of room for growth, and some of those 12 guys will be trade chips.  

Goaltending is their only question make, easy enough to sign Greuber and remove that question mark.    Or make a trade.    Considering how much cap they have left i'm for sure reserving judgement.   Not taking Bean was the biggest head scratcher. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Dazzle said:

In my most unprofessional and unqualified opinion, I think he's overthinking the game. He's acquired some older players like Eberle, mixed in with some really unproven/underrated guys, but I don't really see a pattern with that team. He could've chosen some better players (not journeyman players like Rayheuther from Columbus) and still kept within an internal cap. Kole Lind - where does he fit on the team? Why did they pick the player who had 7 NHL games with 0 points? He's very likely to go back to the AHL, which means waivers, which means a wasted pick.

I'm totally not a fan of Seattle's expansion, and if I was a fan of the team, I'd feel let down. The players they brought in aren't really "marketable" or "exciting" players, minus guys like Eberle.

I think Kole Lind can get waived and that's a good option. 

You can't start the year with 30 NHL players you need to dump and dump fast.

• Cheers 1

I dont get all this dissing of the picks.  I see a team of Alex Tuchs coming full bore at us.  What was he with the Wild?  6 NHL games, zero goals, zero assists.  But 6'4" and 220 lbs.   That's what Francis has done, filled his team with a bunch of Tuchs

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

35 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I dont get all this dissing of the picks.  I see a team of Alex Tuchs coming full bore at us.  What was he with the Wild?  6 NHL games, zero goals, zero assists.  But 6'4" and 220 lbs.   That's what Francis has done, filled his team with a bunch of Tuchs

I might be the only one but I think their D is stacked.

Gio

Lauzon

Oleksiak

Larsson

Soucy

Dunn

Fleury (2)

That's an NHL lineup any day.

• Cheers 1

They also have a surplus of defencemen. Defencemen are valuable trade pieces. So I see logic in their picks. However I'm still curious about the statement that no side deals were done. Looking at some of the picks, that would surprise me a great deal.