The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He's probably ready for 3rd pairing duty but shouldn't be anywhere near the top four.  At least not without a legit #1 carrying that pairing.

I agree - hence the sarcasm ;)

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

As long as we get more than a 3rd rounder back I am fine with this. If the guy wants to quit on the team after one season, I don't want him. He can "woop" his way down to the airport.

Often the case with American players. They want to play close to home in the US.  

Ill be happy when we trade Schmidt and his 6 mil.

• RoughGame 1

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol so i guess we are going into next year with myer hughes juolevi rathbone? even if u sign a savard who is going to be 30+ next season not even ideal.. that defense looking horrible unless he has mutliple trades lined up.. and prolly end up circling back to edler and harmonic lol

Harmonic?

Hamonic is a legit top 4 d. Id love to have him back.

But yes, the D looks brutal.  

4 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Well... trade Schmidt, clear cap and go for which D?? This is the most important point. If we are not bringing a substantial D back any where, we are looking at another lost season lol. 

At this point it may require bringing Hamonic back, but I still feel the cheapest acquisition with the highest ceiling is Ristolainen as he does almost everything.  I have to think Buffalo itself has impacted him like everyone else there.  If we traded for him and signed Hamonic then we end up with:

Hughes Hamonic

Joulevi Ristolainen

Rathbone Myers

I feel that’s a well balanced D core that is mostly pretty young.  Whatever you move Schmidt for closely offsets the Risto acquisition cost.

So I haven't been in the loop on this situation......JB is looking to deal Holtby and Schmidt but we don't have viable replacements for either of them.  They're both friends from the Caps days.  Is this a locker room situation that needs fixing?  It would make sense but I don't know if I'm making that up.

• Cheers 1

So....Vancouver is all in next year on Wright/Savoie or...Hughes

Honestly, if we trade Schmidt our ONLY defenseman worth the name will be.....Hughes.  He's gonna burn out so hard.

Seriously questioning the wisdom of this because I don't see any possible way we're finding a replacement for him AND Edler at their current cap hits

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

So....Vancouver is all in next year on Wright/Savoie or...Hughes

Honestly, if we trade Schmidt our ONLY defenseman worth the name will be.....Hughes.  He's gonna burn out so hard.

Seriously questioning the wisdom of this because I don't see any possible way we're finding a replacement for him AND Edler at their current cap hits

I think we go cheap with a patch job this upcoming season. Next offseason jim could get a couple real good ones, very deep next year. Another cross your fingers scenario 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Oh boy!  What new shiny bauble will we get back?  :frantic:

Rhino and Risto?

Debrusk?

Evander Kane?  

The Patel special is what we’re getting back:

Miller+Schmidt+9OA for Tkachuk+Andersson+11OA. :-p

Edited by Patel Bure
  • RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I remember getting heat from some posters about this issue; and I wonder what was the issue that made him want to go after one season ?

Maybe the fact that Green/Baumer got extended ;)

I kid.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Maybe the fact that Green/Baumer got extended ;)

I kid.

The Canucks have a good core and he could be a part of it; imo, the trade request rumour turned up when the  resigning(s) occured.  He certainly has a good perspective on what a good coaching staff can do.

You might be on to something or perhaps it's the weather ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

10 team no trade list. I'm guessing all other Canadian teams are on that list. Covid restrictions might have made him want to be in the USA somewhere closer to home or on a good team (in the USA).

Edited by RWMc1
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1