The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if the Carolina interest rumour is true, maybe we can just trade for Hakanpaa's rights or maybe get him to sign a 2 year deal before the trade. I guess we have to wait and see where Dougie goes first. 

Must have missed it, what Carolina interest rumour?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Boston just lost Lauzon and already had interest in holtby.... they also have a lot of cap.

To Boston:

Schmidt

Holtby

To Van:

Debrusk

1st  

Nice thought and all but Boston would be much better off signing a cheaper LHD like Suter or Martinez. They can also go sign a G in FA for cheaper also, if they are interested in Holtby it will likely only be if we retain. I don't think we have a need for Debrusk, I would rather us try get Schwartz as a FA signing instead if possible. Maybe even trade for Tarasenko too and put that blues tandem on Bo's wing...give him some fire power

11 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Think Schmidt is just not a fit personality wise in our room. 

I mean Bo, Quinn, JT, Petey, brock are business all the time and non are clowns (as in joking around) like Schmidt.

I bet he would love this team if Kesler and Bieska was still in the room. He would fit right in with them. 

If Edler leaves and Schmidt is still here, he's likely one of our Alternate Captains. You need someone who can keep things light.

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Must have missed it, what Carolina interest rumour?

one of the tweety heads was saying Nate to Carolina might be something they are looking at if Dougie leaves. I'll see if I can find it. 

• Cheers 1

Im all for trading Schmidt assuming he has retained some of his initial trade value seeing as he wants out and we could use the cap savings.... however, when I read 'two top 9 forwards'....that gives me a lot of pause.  I would prefer us take back a decent younger defensive replacement (at around $3M maybe) and use the cap savings on resigning Petto/Hughes to longer term contracts than we currently can

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Personally I would like to see Schmidt on the opening roster. He is definitely a better player than last season showed and our return would likely reflect that. A simple business discussion that he goes out and plays to his true abilities. In exchange the organization will agree to trade him (hopefully) to a destination that he would like once his value is at a point where a contender would be willing to pay up for his services. Something tells me that after a few months of non-lockdown hockey he will want to stay. 

My alternative solution is a little more challenging after yesterday. We have Hughes, Myers and Rathbone that can all move the puck well, but lack physicality and solid positional defence. Trade Schmidt to a team that needs a versatile puck mover in a one for one for a big defensive D. Larsson was my guy but doubt that will happen now. If we can sign Hamonic and Savard/Hakanpaa/someone similar in free agency then unload Schmidt to the team with the best third round pick. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Just dreaming.  Would need to involve another team as I agree there is no way Schmidt goes to Buffalo.  Maybe a team throws a 2nd and something to Buffalo for Schmidt as part of it.

Scmidt has 10 team trade clause? Can't see him wanting to play in Buffalo...

I think Seattle or Bos...Like Ritchie 6'3,220  and Reilly ---- DeBrusk and 4th

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PLOGUE said:

Words hold meaning. If they meant a top 3 forward they would say top 3, if they meant top 6 they would say top 6. Top 9 means 3rd line player who can move up to cover but wouldn't be a top 6 player. 

I haven't jumped to a conclusion, I took the news from a reliable source and reacted to his words. You want to dangle from JBs nutsack go ahead, I don't believe he is capable of building a winning team. You can point to that brief showing in the playoffs if you want but the Canucks didn't earn a playoff spot they were gifted one and just happened to out perform some teams that were rusty. Last year showed what this team is, a terrible defensive team that has to have an outstanding goaltender to survive games.

Yeah just going to ignore anything you say from now on after this.  Didnt jump to conclusions? You took a rumor and acted like it's a surefire thing. Top 9 forwards could mean a 2nd line winger and a 3rd line C/wing if they think Dickinson is more suited as a winger.

Gifted a playoff spot? They were in a top 8 spot, won their play in, then another round after and then took Vegas to 7 games. You can say that was because of Demko, but the last time i checked, the goalie is still part of the team.

Also, my reply had nothing to do with defending Benning, so your hanging from his nutsack comment is irrelevant and childish. 

Have a nice day.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

one of the tweety heads was saying Nate to Carolina might be something they are looking at if Dougie leaves. I'll see if I can find it. 

Not sure if this is what you’re referring to as there are a few different tweets.

BEA44AB7-DCB4-4A88-BC37-4EE6474ABA78.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Drance the new Eklund with "credentials" 

Yeah I don’t put much stock in anything he has to say. The other thing mentioned for the interest in Schmidt was the possibility of losing Bean, which didn’t happen.

45 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

If Edler leaves and Schmidt is still here, he's likely one of our Alternate Captains. You need someone who can keep things light.

While I don’t necessarily agree in regards to him being an alternate captain, I do agree that it’s good to have personalities like him. People keep saying that his attitude rubs people the wrong way, which I can’t really understand. We gotta be the most boring team in the league if Nates personality is deemed a bad thing. 

27 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

Im all for trading Schmidt assuming he has retained some of his initial trade value seeing as he wants out and we could use the cap savings.... however, when I read 'two top 9 forwards'....that gives me a lot of pause. 

I'll take 'two top 9 forwards' from Tampa Bay, please. :P

2 minutes ago, KKnight said:

If Canes would be the team, Foegele seems like a JB target. 

Foegele would definitely be a middle 6 forward acquisition that would compliment Dickinson.  Foegele has put up respectable middle 6 numbers but he's not really a big offensive threat.  Makes me wonder what kind of line-up JB and Co. might be envisioning.  I'm also noting that Carolina will need a back up for Nedeljkovic so perhaps there may be interest in Holtby also?

If Foegele is the target then that would seem to round out the forward group but could mean either Podkolzin or Hoglander could play with Horvat while Foegele would play with .  All of Foegele, Podkolzin, Hoglander and Dickinson are noted for their motors, but only Podkolzin and Hoglander are really noted for their offensive skill (even if Podkolzin hasn't played an NHL game yet).  It would certainly make the Canucks more difficult to play against but their ability to put pucks in the net would still be a question mark.

43 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Seravalli in his article of today writes "the Carolina Hurricanes are working to find a new home for defenseman Jake Bean. A quick peek at the Carolina depth chart will tell you why."