The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

24 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Scmidt has 10 team trade clause? Can't see him wanting to play in Buffalo...

I think Seattle or Bos...Like Ritchie 6'3,220  and Reilly ---- DeBrusk and 4thsss

I like MacDermid 6'5, 215 big D tough as they come, would like this guy in Vancouver  and  3rd rounder..

Would give us 4 million cap space... 

Buy out Virtanen --- Buy  another player Roussel ---  Beagle LTIR ? 3 million--  AHL Erickson

Sign Petey  3 X 7.2 million -- Soon

Hughes   3 X 6.4 million  - Soon

22 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

While I don’t necessarily agree in regards to him being an alternate captain, I do agree that it’s good to have personalities like him. People keep saying that his attitude rubs people the wrong way, which I can’t really understand. We gotta be the most boring team in the league if Nates personality is deemed a bad thing. 

Who said this? Have not seen this reported anywhere, just idle speculation.

5 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Sorry, I agree with you, maybe that was a little unclear. I meant that on these boards it keeps coming up that he rubs guys the wrong way, which doesn’t make much sense to me. 

So far, everything I've seen about him rubbing guys the wrong way, has been total speculation and guys trying to create drama for the sake of having drama to talk about.

I have yet to see one substantiated claim that he is anything but a great teammate.

He's been a big part of 2 very good teams in Washington and Las Vegas.

• Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

While I don’t necessarily agree in regards to him being an alternate captain, I do agree that it’s good to have personalities like him. People keep saying that his attitude rubs people the wrong way, which I can’t really understand. We gotta be the most boring team in the league if Nates personality is deemed a bad thing. 

People say.

A lot of people say.

nobody posts a source.

So a lot of people saying something,  that nobody has backed up.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

People say.

A lot of people say.

nobody posts a source.

So a lot of people saying something,  that nobody has backed up.

This exactly, I'd give you +50 if I could.

I find the voices in my head are a better source than most of what I see here, and those voices, are totally NUTS!

• Haha 2

Been doing tons of studying on the Canucks off-season and trading Nate Schmidt amongst things. They need D-help so it’s odd to trade a D-man of Schmidts caliber and they would have liked to have him work out. This is not a cap-dump but a change of scenery deal.
No team will want that $5,950,000 dollar contract with 4 more years on it.. yes Schmidts a silky, character, all-around D-man who’s shown he can log 22:00 minutes of ice time and post 30 points while playing both sides of the blueline. But at the same time he is not Elite offensively, nor overwhelmingly aggressive shutting players down, or worth $6,000,000 dollars. Therefore all in all this is the trade I believe the Canucks should do.. send him to the team that was on the cusp of acquiring him before we did last off-season.
The Panthers. Who also could use another more experienced puck mover and just had to buyout Keith Yandle, are going to have to buyout Anton Stralman, are going to lose Brandon Montour as a UFA (who was an emergency pick-up replacement for when Ekblad went down before playoffs but still could have fit in once Ekblad was back. So..

Panthers: D Nate Schmidt ($5.95 Mil cap hit)

Canucks: D Anton Stralman ($5.5 Mil cap hit)

D Michael Benning

4th Round Draft Pick 2023

The Panthers get a massive blueline upgrade and a blueline shake-up to help push their team over the hump into deeper cup contention. They get a LHD in Schmidt who replaces Yandle and can be a good leader to younger LHD in Forsling and Nutivaara. They essentially turn Montour into Ekblad being healthy and back, turn Yandle into Schmidt, and Stralman into Carlsson getting minutes. They don’t mind the dollars in this deal because they want Stralmans final year of $5.5 Mil off the books so essentially they only take on $450,000 in cap hit and get a hungry bounce-back Schmidt for three years at $5.95 Mil. Schmidt is also five years younger than Stralman. The Canucks don’t mind this because from the sounds of it anyways.. Schmidt doesn’t want to be here and younger and always improving LHD in Juolevi and Rathbone will eat his minutes. They also get a needed RHD and one with a bad $5.5 Mil cap-hit this year but only one year left compared to Schmidts 4 years of basically $6 Mil. Relief in the slightly long-term for a cap-struck team. Stralman also still possesses solid puck moving ability, has a PP worthy shot, can make big open ice hits, is a great leader and guy on the bench, and blocks shots. A modern day RH version of Keith Ballard. Stralman has loads of playoff experience and far more than Schmidt. He is a former teammate of J.T. Miller in NYR and TBL. The Sedins would also likely support the acquisition of a quality person and Swedish RHD. The Canucks also grab Jim Bennings nephew and RHD prospect Michael. Not just a feel good connection, the kid is a creative puck mover and has top puck carrying D-man upside and is currently playing at Denver in the NCAA. The 4th Round Pick is a throw in for the Canucks taking the final year of Stralmans contract off the Panthers hands. As I said moving Schmidt isn’t hard it’s moving his contract, without his cap-hit he’s worth a

2nd and 3rd round pick. Doing this type of trade is the best route and we can clear cap now by buying out Virtanen and Eriksson.. and by trading one or both of Roussel and Beagle with a sweetener (who aren’t bad player pickups for teams either), 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

Been doing tons of studying on the Canucks off-season and trading Nate Schmidt amongst things. They need D-help so it’s odd to trade a D-man of Schmidts caliber and they would have liked to have him work out. This is not a cap-dump but a change of scenery deal.
No team will want that $5,950,000 dollar contract with 4 more years on it.. yes Schmidts a silky, character, all-around D-man who’s shown he can log 22:00 minutes of ice time and post 30 points while playing both sides of the blueline. But at the same time he is not Elite offensively, nor overwhelmingly aggressive shutting players down, or worth $6,000,000 dollars. Therefore all in all this is the trade I believe the Canucks should do.. send him to the team that was on the cusp of acquiring him before we did last off-season.
The Panthers. Who also could use another more experienced puck mover and just had to buyout Keith Yandle, are going to have to buyout Anton Stralman, are going to lose Brandon Montour as a UFA (who was an emergency pick-up replacement for when Ekblad went down before playoffs but still could have fit in once Ekblad was back. So..

D Michael Benning

The Panthers get a massive blueline upgrade and a blueline shake-up to help push their team over the hump into deeper cup contention. They get a LHD in Schmidt who replaces Yandle and can be a good leader to younger LHD in Forsling and Nutivaara. They essentially turn Montour into Ekblad being healthy and back, turn Yandle into Schmidt, and Stralman into Carlsson getting minutes. They don’t mind the dollars in this deal because they want Stralmans final year of $5.5 Mil off the books so essentially they only take on $450,000 in cap hit and get a hungry bounce-back Schmidt for three years at $5.95 Mil. Schmidt is also five years younger than Stralman. The Canucks don’t mind this because from the sounds of it anyways.. Schmidt doesn’t want to be here and younger and always improving LHD in Juolevi and Rathbone will eat his minutes. They also get a needed RHD and one with a bad $5.5 Mil cap-hit this year but only one year left compared to Schmidts 4 years of basically $6 Mil. Relief in the slightly long-term for a cap-struck team. Stralman also still possesses solid puck moving ability, has a PP worthy shot, can make big open ice hits, is a great leader and guy on the bench, and blocks shots. A modern day RH version of Keith Ballard. Stralman has loads of playoff experience and far more than Schmidt. He is a former teammate of J.T. Miller in NYR and TBL. The Sedins would also likely support the acquisition of a quality person and Swedish RHD. The Canucks also grab Jim Bennings nephew and RHD prospect Michael. Not just a feel good connection, the kid is a creative puck mover and has top puck carrying D-man upside and is currently playing at Denver in the NCAA. The 4th Round Pick is a throw in for the Canucks taking the final year of Stralmans contract off the Panthers hands. As I said moving Schmidt isn’t hard it’s moving his contract, without his cap-hit he’s worth a

2nd and 3rd round pick. Doing this type of trade is the best route and we can clear cap now by buying out Virtanen and Eriksson.. and by trading one or both of Roussel and Beagle with a sweetener (who aren’t bad player pickups for teams either), 

Bluelines after this trade look nice for both teams..

Panthers     Forsling-Ekblad

Schmidt-Weegar

Nutivaara-Gudas

Connauton-L.Carlsson

Canucks     Q.Hughes-Hamonic

*FA/Trade- T.Myers

Juolevi-Stralman

Rathbone- FA/Trade*

I do not believe for a second that Schmidt has said or in any way indicated that he does not want to be a part of the Canucks. I believe completely that is ALL, media created click bait to boost their readership during slow news periods. Nothing creates readers like controversy and we have a LOT of media in Vancouver who are not above "Making stories out of Nothing at All"!

That said, Schmidt is a very movable asset and we could definitely use another RD on defense. We very much want to shed cap space to make other moves and so, I could see us moving him for that purpose. I fully expect that by the start of the season, Loui, Jake and Holtby, will all be gone through either trade (most likely with Holtby), or buyout, (most likely with Jake and Loui).

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I do not believe for a second that Schmidt has said or in any way indicated that he does not want to be a part of the Canucks. I believe completely that is ALL, media created click bait to boost their readership during slow news periods. Nothing creates readers like controversy and we have a LOT of media in Vancouver who are not above "Making stories out of Nothing at All"!

That said, Schmidt is a very movable asset and we could definitely use another RD on defense. We very much want to shed cap space to make other moves and so, I could see us moving him for that purpose. I fully expect that by the start of the season, Loui, Jake and Holtby, will all be gone through either trade (most likely with Holtby), or buyout, (most likely with Jake and Loui).

I agree with you entirely. My only concern is that Schmidt has not come out and denied the rumours. J.T. Miller denied his trade rumours as do a lot of players. Schmidt has not been heard from or seen since the last game against Calgary. Would hate to lose a D-man that can do things like he can when he’s on and one of his personality.. all after one bad luck season in a shortened Covid riddled schedule.

16 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

D Michael Benning

I'd do the same deal, but Nutivara instead of Stralman. Nutivara has fallen off the depth chart in Florida, is cheaper, and has the "Shaw" connection. If he plays well, he can be re-signed. If not, he's easier to flip for assets at the next TDL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

Three years younger than Schmidt, has shown he can put up double Schmidts points, and is just shy of $1.5 Mil cheaper.

he is a lefty version of Barrie but not as good offensively as Barrie. He had a breakout early on in his career but once Provorov arrived I think his stats dipped quite a bit and he is not that good in the D zone, I believe

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

What is zona doing?

acquiring cap hit with low salary left on deals I believe. Send them LE!! Then we can try get Landeskog or Tarasenko? Maybe Savard on D but he is a bit old and will want term, we should've tried to trade for Larsson's rights if all it was going to take is 4m x 4 yrs, but oh well we still can sign Hamonic and Hanakppa as RHD options

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

acquiring cap hit with low salary left on deals I believe. Send them LE!! Then we can try get Landeskog or Tarasenko? Maybe Savard on D but he is a bit old and will want term, we should've tried to trade for Larsson's rights if all it was going to take is 4m x 4 yrs, but oh well we still can sign Hamonic and Hanakppa as RHD options

I read it wrong we might as well send loui to zona also.

13 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

Three years younger than Schmidt, has shown he can put up double Schmidts points, and is just shy of $1.5 Mil cheaper.

When did Ghost score double Schmidt's points, few years back.?

" Past performance is not an indicator of future results" ; so say the financial investment adds anyway.