The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Gudbranson could probably be had for $1M maximum. As a 7th defenseman, he’d be ideal. Huge, hits hard, and is willing and capable of throwing down with anyone in the league. Would probably flourish under a Shaw run defense as a depth player. 

If they can't find someone else, we do need someone to ride shotgun against teams like Vegas.

• Cheers 1

Gudbranson was not bad for his salary, he was bad when here. 
He was a guy really wanted to like and seems to tick all the boxes. Big, tough, good reach good leadership qualities and could actually get up to a decent speed in straight line. All sounds great but never comes together. Kind of like the defensive-D to Risto’s offensive D. Players with all the tools that never seem to pull it together into the player they should be. 

• Upvote 1

I can’t see him moving Schmidt without another trade behind it plus hamonic signed 

Schmidt to rangers for buch

2nd 2022 mac for zadarov 

sign hamonic 3x3.75

Sign Jake mcbabe2x3.50

Hughes Hamonic 

Mcbabe zadarov 

Rath Myers 

juolevi 

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

He was a guy really wanted to like and seems to tick all the boxes. Big, tough, good reach good leadership qualities and could actually get up to a decent speed in straight line. All sounds great but never comes together. Kind of like the defensive-D to Risto’s offensive D. Players with all the tools that never seem to pull it together into the player they should be. 

His salary was an issue too.  I personally wouldn't mind Guddy being brought back at an AAV equal to or below $1.125M (that way it could be fully buried in the minors if needed).  He can still be reasonably proficient in a depth role and with limited minutes, and irrespective of hockey sense questions, like you said he still has all the tools to be effective.  If Guddy can ever make the kinds of adjustments that Luke Schenn made which revived his career, then that would be great to see.  I'm not saying the same adjustments as Schenn, just ones that would make Guddy more effective.

Just to be clear with the above, unless proven otherwise, I'm advocating Guddy in a 7/8 role and not a regular top-6 role.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

The coaching issues with the defense have been plentiful. I believe that Brad Shaw will institute a much more disciplined and experienced approach. 

I could see a Schmidt to NYR for Vitali Kravtsov, 21yr old left handed Russian winger. Has offensive upside. Would fit into our top 9. He would help make Podkolzin more comfortable.  If it was a player for player deal we would shed a lot of salary 

20 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I could see a Schmidt to NYR for Vitali Kravtsov, 21yr old left handed Russian winger. Has offensive upside. Would fit into our top 9. He would help make Podkolzin more comfortable.  If it was a player for player deal we would shed a lot of salary 

Schmidt ain't gonna get that deal done. We would have to add in our 9th to get Kravtsov and possibly a 3rd back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Schmidt ain't gonna get that deal done. We would have to add in our 9th to get Kravtsov and possibly a 3rd back.

Oh man.... don't get me started on Kravtsov. I LOVE this prospect. There's a ridiculous amount of upside there. Would love it if we added him.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

I think Gudbranson would have been a decent defenseman in the Old NHL but the game just changed unfortunately.   Too much speed and good overall skating required in the modern game and Gudbranson just can’t hang.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Nate is a really good player, so he for sure could play with OJ.  

just spitballing but maybe if we give OJ the chance starting the pre-season maybe there's a decent pairing there. It would certainly solve some problems. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

how far away is Juolevi from being a capable parter for Nate? maybe thats the answer instead of moving Nate. 

I can't say, but I'm not in any rush to lose Schmidt.  Just hope that JB does the right thing, however it goes.

• Vintage 1

From the sounds of his interviews, it sounds like Benning will bring in several D-men and wants to re-sign Hamonic. If that's the case, then I can see Rathbone starting in Abbotsford rather than being the 7-8 guy.

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

I think Gudbranson would have been a decent defenseman in the Old NHL but the game just changed unfortunately.   Too much speed

Yes, speed was an issue both as far as his own footspeed, but in particular with his maneuverability and inability to move the puck from the point efficiently. He basically killed anything resembling a cycle game.

I like the guy, but I really don't want him here at any price. He was just awful.

• Cheers 2