The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Francis just realized he isn’t getting a 1st round pick for Giordano or Eberle. No action on Will Borgen either. I thought for sure he’d get a 2nd for him. 

I still can’t believe the strategy for that draft.

Like he knows teams are interested in Tarasenko. You probably could have traded him for a better young player than Dunn.

I think he missed that aspect of it. He may have liked certain young players, but legit vets teams want can net you even better young players.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Like he knows teams are interested in Tarasenko. You probably could have traded him for a better young player than Dunn.

I think he missed that aspect of it. He may have liked certain young players, but legit vets teams want can net you even better young players.

I think he kinda overvalued what he could get for players, I think a lot of GMs probably won’t deal with him this summer...he didn’t get any really good trade chips and he seems to have pissed all the other teams off by asking for the moon 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

I think he kinda overvalued what he could get for players, I think a lot of GMs probably won’t deal with him this summer...he didn’t get any really good trade chips and he seems to have pissed all the other teams off by asking for the moon 

Well yea I’m sure they don’t appreciate being extorted.

Not a great way to start a working relationship.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Francis has over $30 million in cap space. Based on how he conducted the draft it’s fair to assume he took the opposite approach of Vegas, not a win now philosophy but a build a young team and be competitive in 2-3 years. If that is the case then you need to accumulate as many draft picks as possible. 

If he has taken Price, Tarasenko, Zadorov, JVR, etc he could have easily flipped them for picks with salary retained. Tarasenko at $3.75 million is a steal that most contend Can afford. He could have easily gotten a 2nd for him plus a prospect. That’s a better deal than Vince Dunn. Same with JVR. Price at $5.25 million you are getting a 1st round pick. Much better than Cale Fleury. 

I’m not even sure what he’s going to so with the $30 million he has in cap space. The only thing that makes sense is the Seattle owners must have an internal cap they are using that is much closer to the floor than the ceiling. I bet you they don’t come close to hitting the cap this year. Unless they have a deal already in place for Ovechkin and Hamilton. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Francis has over $30 million in cap space. Based on how he conducted the draft it’s fair to assume he took the opposite approach of Vegas, not a win now philosophy but a build a young team and be competitive in 2-3 years. If that is the case then you need to accumulate as many draft picks as possible. 

If he had taken Price, Tarasenko, Zadorov, JVR, etc he could have easily flipped them for picks with salary retained. Tarasenko at $3.75 million is a steal that most contenders can afford. He could have easily gotten a 2nd for him plus a good prospect. That’s a better deal than Vince Dunn. Same with JVR. Price at $5.25 million you are getting a 1st round pick. Much better than Cale Fleury. 

I’m not even sure what he’s going to so with the $30 million he has in cap space. The only thing that makes sense is the Seattle owners must have an internal cap they are using that is much closer to the floor than the ceiling. I bet you they don’t come close to hitting the cap this year. Unless they have a deal already in place for Ovechkin and Hamilton. 

19 minutes ago, IRR said:

https___s3-images.ladbible.com_s3_content_cbb672155cf5bbbd23941f84f82e2509.jpeg.jpg

No way. Schmidt being moved out should be done with the 9OA to bring back a true number one right handed defenseman. I’d say:

To St. Louis:

Nate Schmidt, Olli Juolevi, and 9OA

To Vancouver:

Colton Parayko, contingent on an agreement to sign a contract. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Tarasenko would have to waive his no trade clause which just causes extra strain to get full value out of him.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

No way. Schmidt being moved out should be done with the 9OA to bring back a true number one right handed defenseman. I’d say:

To St. Louis:

To Vancouver:

This is how you lose value as a franchise.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

You made your point and I made mine. Why do posters like you insist on paraphrasing yourselves endlessly? You obviously want to believe the worst of Benning.

I wasn’t thinking the worst of Benning. In that hypothetical scenario keeping your plans hidden is the smart strategy. As opposed to showing your hand.

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

To St. Louis:

To Vancouver:

Parayko is better than but not demonstrably superior to Schmidt. You’re giving up an awful lot for this player. This reads like a St. Louis wish list, which is fine as a starting point but man, in my mind, as it stands , this is a considerable overpayment. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If he has taken Price, Tarasenko, Zadorov, JVR, etc he could have easily flipped them for picks with salary retained. Tarasenko at $3.75 million is a steal that most contend Can afford. He could have easily gotten a 2nd for him plus a prospect. That’s a better deal than Vince Dunn. Same with JVR. Price at $5.25 million you are getting a 1st round pick. Much better than Cale Fleury. 

Easier said than done.  Blues have been shopping Tarasenko for a while with no takers.  Might be more attractive at 3.5 but teams are probably more scared of his shoulders conditions than cap space.   So I think your are overvalueing his return. 

IMO Dunn is an underrated pick.  When Vegas acquired Theodore, nobody expected him to become that dominant top pairing guy.  He was behind Fowler, Limdholm, Vatanen, etc.  Similar to Dunn behind Pietrangelo, parayko, Faulk.  With more responsibilities, he has the potential to be their Theodore IMO.

Price had a NMC that he waived for draft purposes only.  Couldn’t be traded by Seattle unless he waived again.

7 minutes ago, zimmy said:

Parayko is better than but not demonstrably superior to Schmidt. You’re giving up an awful lot for this player. This reads like a St. Louis wish list, which is fine as a starting point but man, in my mind, as it stands , this is a considerable overpayment. 

Parayko is the Blues top dman.  Hes considerably better than Schmidt.  Id give the Blues Schmidt, Rathbone and a 2nd but they wouldnt do it.

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He can do both.  He can take on good but slightly overpaid players from cap strapped teams and gather extra assets to do that.  

He can also outbid any other team on UFAs for the next couple seasons or mess with teams with offer sheets.

I am confident that his roster is going to look significantly different by the opening game than it does now and he will have a lot more bigger bale players…. He will also have an bunch more draft picks for the next three years.

12 minutes ago, zimmy said:

Fair enough. So how would you adjust the Canucks package? I initially was thinking of either Schmidt and Juolevi or Juolevi and the 9OA.  

8 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Parayko is the Blues top dman.  Hes considerably better than Schmidt.  Id give the Blues Schmidt, Rathbone and a 2nd but they wouldnt do it.

Not considerably in my eyes but to each his own. Perhaps we’d agree that we’d be selling low on Schmidt(?)

41 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

To St. Louis:

To Vancouver:

That's a hell of a lot of futures to cough up for a Dman close to 30 years old.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

To St. Louis:

To Vancouver:

26 minutes ago, zimmy said:

What about the players listed, and an exchange of 1st round picks?

regards,  G.