The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

11 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

He's 26, 6'3" ~200lbs, top 6 forward who put up 48 pts in 54gp last year, 46 in 68 the season before... I think he'd be a good fit with Horvat - Hoglander on the 2nd line.

He's also an excellent two way player to boot. From what Ranger fans have told me, he's a staple of their penalty kill.

• Cheers 2

16 hours ago, Kragar said:

Works for me.  I know there's been mention of rumors about him wanting out, and I hoped they were just that... rumors.  Don't want to be selling from a position of weakness.

Exactly. I absolutely hate the idea of selling low on a player, which this basically amounts to.

Unless JB has a few aces up his sleeve, I'd prefer to give Schmidt another season to get his game back together and then move him if you need to make Cap room for Petey and Hughes.....

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Exactly. I absolutely hate the idea of seeling low on a player, which this basically amounts to.

Unless JB has a few aces up his sleeve, I'd prefer to give Schmidt another season to get his game back together and then move him if you need to make Cap room for Petey and Hughes.....

I hear ya.

Schmidt value is more than the 3rd round pick we gave up for him.  And his year with us was an anomaly when looking at his overall stats.

I think Schmidt + 2nd can get Buch.  Or perhaps a swap of 1sts (9th vs 16th) is enough to facilitate a deal.

With 16th, would target Svechkov. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Larsson and Oleksiak were the key guys I wanted JB to target in free agency. That ship has sailed so perhaps its a good time to restock the cupboards with young D?

Couple of easy trades would be:

To VAN: Foote + Johnson

To TBL: Nothin'

Tampa really need to clear cap, so we take on a good 3C for next 3 seasons plus a big young RHD in Foote.

I suggested  Johnson and Cernak   for a Ferlands LTIR relief and something else i can't remember now.

Lots of cap relief incentive for TB there.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BPA said:

I hear ya.

Schmidt value is more than the 3rd round pick we gave up for him.  And his year with us was an anomaly when looking at his overall stats.

I think Schmidt + 2nd can get Buch.  Or perhaps a swap of 1sts (9th vs 16th) is enough to facilitate a deal.

With 16th, would target Svechkov. 

Pull the trigger on that and take lambos or svechkov Lysell Carson ceulemans I’m not sold on on Kent Johnson if definitely prefer a trade down more likely we’re gonna be left with him 

49 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

I suggested  Johnson and Cernak   for a Ferlands LTIR relief and something else i can't remember now.

Lots of cap relief incentive for TB there.

Ahead of the 2019/20 season Brisebois traded Callahan's 5.8M LTIR contract for Condon's buried cap hit of 1.325M (total cap 2.4M).  Condon spent the season in the AHL/ECHL and was never recalled.  Brisebois himself explained his reasons for not wanting an LTIR contract.  It was better for them to have a buried cap hit on their books of over 1.3M than have Callahan's LTIR relief.

Beat writer Smith has Cernak on their untouchable list in his article of today.  They have players with trade interest - Killorn, Palat are players they probably could move for cap space.  They are likely 1st going to try with Johnson.

Edited by mll

15 minutes ago, mll said:

Ahead of the 2019/20 season Brisebois traded Callahan's 5.8M LTIR contract for Condon's buried cap hit of 1.325M (total cap 2.4M).  Condon spent the season in the AHL/ECHL and was never recalled.  Brisebois himself explained his reasons for not wanting an LTIR contract.  It was better for them to have a buried cap hit on their books of over 1.3M than have Callahan's LTIR relief.

Beat writer Smith has Cernak on their untouchable list in his article of today.  They have players with trade interest - Killorn, Palat are players they probably could move for cap space.  They are likely 1st going to try with Johnson.

Fair enough...  i suggested that after hearing that TB was looking to acquire LTIR contracts for the cap relief... but can't remember the source (Hockeybuzz?)

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

Awesome in theory but there's no way Tampa moves Cernak.

not now that the are back under the cap. Worst case for them is they buy out TJ, its actually a pretty good one. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Nate Schmidt to Vegas for 2nd round pick (36OA)  ... asset management :P

Not a bad 'rental' arrangement.

Trade for a third, play a guy for a year, then trade back for more than original price.

Well done.

2 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

He's 26, 6'3" ~200lbs, top 6 forward who put up 48 pts in 54gp last year, 46 in 68 the season before... I think he'd be a good fit with Horvat - Hoglander on the 2nd line.

I think the Rangers are looking to sell high on him and he will likely be looking for a big raise. Not the type of guy we should be looking at. 

Some things to keep in mind with regard to Ristolainen as a solid option for a D slot:

”Ristolainen makes $5.4MM and is a year away from free agency. Sabres 5v5 shot/goal difference with and without Ristolainen the last three years:

With:
-5.6 shots/hour
-0.78 goals/hour

W/O:
-0.8 shots/hour
-0.35 goals/hour

In his defence, the TOI tends to be tough.

In other words, goal differential has been more than twice as bad with Ristolainen on the ice. Shot differential goes from almost break-even to minus-6 per hour.”

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

I think the Rangers are looking to sell high on him and he will likely be looking for a big raise. Not the type of guy we should be looking at. 

Good point.  I'm worried about what type of money and term Buchs would demand.  Might further excaaberate our cap problems.  

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not now that the are back under the cap. Worst case for them is they buy out TJ, its actually a pretty good one. 

The problem TB has is that, yes they are now currently under the cap by about $750,000 but they only have 11 forwards, 5 dmen and 1 goalie signed. Even 1 league minimum contract puts them right back against the cap and they need to add about 6 players. Buying out TJ will help them but it won't be enough, it's going to be interesting to watch what kind of creative solution they come up with to get compliant, or which player needs surgery to miss all season and come back for the playoffs.

• Vintage 2