The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

4 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

The problem TB has is that, yes they are now currently under the cap by about $750,000 but they only have 11 forwards, 5 dmen and 1 goalie signed. Even 1 league minimum contract puts them right back against the cap and they need to add about 6 players. Buying out TJ will help them but it won't be enough, it's going to be interesting to watch what kind of creative solution they come up with to get compliant, or which player needs surgery to miss all season and come back for the playoffs.

Pay a team to take Johnson and move 1 of Palat/Killorn to a team for just a pick. Teams like Detroit, NJ, LA all have cap room and LA in particular wanted to add 2 top 6 players and have only added 1 so far. Reinhart might be there 1st target along with Eichel maybe but they want to ice a better team so could snag a TB F for cheap to clear 5m off the books

14 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Pay a team to take Johnson and move 1 of Palat/Killorn to a team for just a pick. Teams like Detroit, NJ, LA all have cap room and LA in particular wanted to add 2 top 6 players and have only added 1 so far. Reinhart might be there 1st target along with Eichel maybe but they want to ice a better team so could snag a TB F for cheap to clear 5m off the books

But what would TB use as payment to offload Johnson? It just cost Philly a 2nd and a 7th to unload Gostisbehere for no return when he is 3 years younger, signed for a lower cap hit and put up almost identical numbers to TJ as a dman. Not to mention teams know TB is desperate for cap space and are going to charge a premium. Minimum sweetener would have to be 2022 1st rounder which would mean that over this draft and the next one TB would have 1 pick in the first 3 rounds.

5 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

But what would TB use as payment to offload Johnson? It just cost Philly a 2nd and a 7th to unload Gostisbehere for no return when he is 3 years younger, signed for a lower cap hit and put up almost identical numbers to TJ as a dman. Not to mention teams know TB is desperate for cap space and are going to charge a premium. Minimum sweetener would have to be 2022 1st rounder which would mean that over this draft and the next one TB would have 1 pick in the first 3 rounds.

you can bet that Ron Francis from the seattle Kraken is all over this - they have the cap space to make a deal with the Lightning - . Given Johnson's contract I would expect at least a 1st round pick.

45 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

With Risto just being dealt to PHI, I would guess the interest in Nate just went up. 

Just wait for the OEL availability rumors to start again. :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

Given what Risto just got the Canucks are far, far better off keeping Schmidt at this point. They will not be able to replace him with a better defenseman given the trade market and lack of cap space. If they are serious about the playoffs the no-brainer move is to mend relations with Schmidt and keep him.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

If we don’t get a dman back for him think we in trouble now with Larsson off the market.

hockey trade a puck moving dman for a defensive dman that can pair with Hughes no idea who fits this and is available but if we trade him for a forward we don’t have much other than the 9th pick and a core piece to love for a dman which makes me nervous. 

2 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

I would milk bulls on farms for a year straight if we landed Erik Cernak.  

Imagine if you had a dream.

I admire your dedication.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

If Edler wants to chase the money and not a ring by going to Alberta after earning $55M playing for the Canucks and refusing to waive his NMC “because this is where he wants to be” and then not signing with the Canucks on the cheap…I say **** ‘em. 

I don't love the Oilers, but it's not hard to see Edler viewing a nice 2-year contract in Edmonton offering him a heck of a lot better chance at a Cup than Vancouver without moving too far away. Either Edler or Hamonic also make a lot of sense for Edmonton and Calgary.

Edited by TheCustodian