The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

34 minutes ago, smokes said:

I don't understand CDC sometimes. So the Canucks trade Nate Schmidt for a 3rd round draft pick, he has a high salary, he is coming off a bad year and he requested a trade....let's flip him for a first? So basically trade a 3rd round pick for a first round pick?

Well Schmidt won’t fetch a 1st, that’s for sure... but Canucks acquired him at rebate since Vegas needed to get rid of him quickly for Pietrangelo.

so you are right but not necessarily for the reason you mentioned .  But I do think we could trade him for a better return than a 3rd.  

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

On the left side we have:

hughes

OEL

Schmidt

Juolevi 

Rathbone

schmidt can play the right side but he’s better suited to the left side.

gotta think due to cap space, style of play(3 offensive guys) and a log jam on the left side that Schmidt is going to be traded. I’d take a 3rd because we can use the cap space better but hoping for more. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Well Schmidt won’t fetch a 1st, that’s for sure... but Canucks acquired him at rebate since Vegas needed to get rid of him quickly for Pietrangelo.

so you are right but not necessarily for the reason you mentioned .  But I do think we could trade him for a better return than a 3rd.  

I think Chicago for Zadorov and a 3rd would safice. If Chicago is looking for another D that is

43 minutes ago, CR7 said:

I think Chicago for Zadorov and a 3rd would safice. If Chicago is looking for another D that is

Everything I’ve read out of Chicago has them giving up a pick with Zadorov to take him lol.

really don’t think Z likes it there.

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

Nate Schmidt had a bad year. As did Hughes. As did the whole team.

If Nate sticks around, he will be much better. Hughes was actually decent defensively his rookie year. He will be fine... even if he's not here for his defensive game. These are high end players who I'm confident won't pull.an Eriksson and forget how to play at a high level.

OEL is a very solid player in all respects. He will kick butt in Vancouver. Myers is Myers. Not horrible and has size. Then the best of OJ or Rathbone... both defensively responsible.

We need a true shutdown guy still. That much I concede. But overall, we will be just fine. Good, even....

Nates not sticking around.  I dont think many teams are going to want his 6 mil cap.  Bad yr or not, Hughes cant defend to save his life.  OEL is a legit #1 dman.  I dont think people realize how good this guy can be.   OJ plays big and we need these types badly.

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

A 2nd? 

5 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Nates not sticking around.  I dont think many teams are going to want his 6 mil cap.

I don't particularly agree with your comments, though the above is particularly contradictory. If nobody wants him, then he's staying unless he asked for a trade, in which case I guess we are forced to sell low. In my world, it makes more sense to reset and give it another go.

48 minutes ago, BtueyCanuckFan said:

Zadorov is another left shot D according to elite prospects. I like the guy but we need right shot defenders more

Savard and Hamilton. But after todays trade I’m not sure how we would be able to afford Hamilton. Would he even be the right type of defenseman even if he’s a RHD? 

1 hour ago, brian42 said:

On the left side we have:

hughes

OEL

Schmidt

Juolevi 

Rathbone

schmidt can play the right side but he’s better suited to the left side.

gotta think due to cap space, style of play(3 offensive guys) and a log jam on the left side that Schmidt is going to be traded. I’d take a 3rd because we can use the cap space better but hoping for more. 

This whole notion of defenders not being able to play on their off side is a bit over dramatized. These guys can juggle around.

If Schmidt remains, our D will look incredible. Only way Schmidt goes is if JB has another top 4 defence acquisition pencilled in from elsewhere for the same or lower Cap hit.