The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

6 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

This whole notion of defenders not being able to play on their off side is a bit over dramatized. These guys can juggle around.

If Schmidt remains, our D will look incredible. Only way Schmidt goes is if JB has another top 4 defence acquisition pencilled in from elsewhere for the same or lower Cap hit. 

I guarantee if Schmidt leaves another better fit defenseman will take his place and Probly at a bit lower price which could allow us to help fill another D spot or our 4th line center. I agree Nate can play the right side just not ideal. 

25 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I still really don’t think that we’re trading him, unless someone makes a REALLY strong, can’t say no to, offer.

I think as soon as we moved Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel, our need to make cap space, is largely gone. We will move Virtanen and Holtby, either through trade or buy out, and we’re good after that.

Schmidt will be here next season unless someone really makes it worthwhile to do it.

I think it would be smart to hold onto Schmidt because if Benning trades him now he’s selling low. Selling low never makes sense with an asset. You always want to sell high. seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I think it would be smart to hold onto Schmidt because if Benning trades him now he’s selling low. Selling low never makes sense with an asset. You always want to sell high. seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Well, not to mention, he makes us a better team!

44 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

This whole notion of defenders not being able to play on their off side is a bit over dramatized. These guys can juggle around.

If Schmidt remains, our D will look incredible. Only way Schmidt goes is if JB has another top 4 defence acquisition pencilled in from elsewhere for the same or lower Cap hit. 

The coach doesn't like any player playing their off side unless it is necessary or it means Virtanen would be in the top 6 haha...Schmidt played almost always on the right side in Vegas, OEL and Schmidt could be our new top pair and give Quinton a bit less stress and move him to the 2nd pairing and run PP1. That is what I would do for the next 2-3 years while Quinton builds up more strength and we find a long term D partner for him

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I still really don’t think that we’re trading him, unless someone makes a REALLY strong, can’t say no to, offer.

I think as soon as we moved Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel, our need to make cap space, is largely gone. We will move Virtanen and Holtby, either through trade or buy out, and we’re good after that.

Schmidt will be here next season unless someone really makes it worthwhile to do it.

Yes I agree Schmidt or Holtby have to go.

Assuming we buy out Virtanen and resign our UFAs to the following numbers:

Pettersson 7m

Hughes 6m

Garland 4.6m

Dickinson 2.5m

Juolevi 1m

Then we will hit the cap limit of $81.5m with only 19 contracts signed. We effectively NEED to move someone such as Schmidt or Holtby in order to create the cap space to complete our roster.

A Schmidt for Lauzon deal would generate $5.1m of cap space that we could use to add another 3 players to our roster. Something like: Savard 3m, Paquette1.2m, MacEwen 0.825m would fit in $5.1m.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Garland

Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin

Highmore Paquette Motte

(MacEwen)

OEL Savard

Hughes Lauzon

Rathbone Myers

(Juolevi)

Demko (Holtby)

Whereas buying out Holtby would give us $3.8m of cap space but would need to use that to add four players, including a backup goalie to replace Holtby.

33 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't get the need to make cap space is largely gone... those 3 canucks were only signed for this upcoming year for a total of 12m, we just acquired OEL for 7.26m and need to sign Garland for what 4-5m maybe? 

Same exact cap we traded out, losing picks along the way and committing that $ to term...leaving less wiggle room for next off season as instead of that 12m coming of the books its staying. 

Let's see how these 2 new Canucks do next season, boy does the Canuck GM sure know how to convince owners to take on $$$ tho and trade picks, he must have some knowledge against them he can leverage or the owners are the actual GM and he is just the puppet that goes on tv and radio?

Wish the Canucks all the best, hope we make some more moves to free up contracts with some term to get a much needed top 4 RHD

• RoughGame 1

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yes. That too. 

so what’s our defense look like? 

Really awesome:

OEL / Schmidt

Hughes / Meyers

Rathbone / Juolevi

I would say that we will likely add in someone, hopefully Hamonic etc, to give us a stronger, more experienced bottom pairing.

10 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Yes I agree Schmidt or Holtby have to go.

Assuming we buy out Virtanen and resign our UFAs to the following numbers:

Pettersson 7m

Hughes 6m

Garland 4.6m

Dickinson 2.5m

Juolevi 1m

Then we will hit the cap limit of $81.5m with only 19 contracts signed. We effectively NEED to move someone such as Schmidt or Holtby in order to create the cap space to complete our roster.

A Schmidt for Lauzon deal would generate $5.1m of cap space that we could use to add another 3 players to our roster. Something like: Savard 3m, Paquette1.2m, MacEwen 0.825m would fit in $5.1m.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Garland

Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin

Highmore Paquette Motte

(MacEwen)

OEL Savard

Hughes Lauzon

Rathbone Myers

(Juolevi)

Demko (Holtby)

Whereas buying out Holtby would give us $3.8m of cap space but would need to use that to add four players, including a backup goalie to replace Holtby.

Schmidt stays, Holtby gets moved or bought out, same as Virtanen. Assuming buyout, it frees up about 6.3 million in cap space.

Add in Ferland on LTIR for 3.5 million and we have almost an additional 10 million in space. 

No reason to move Schmidt unless someone gives us an offer that really makes it worth it to move him.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I don't get the need to make cap space is largely gone... those 3 canucks were only signed for this upcoming year for a total of 12m, we just acquired OEL for 7.26m and need to sign Garland for what 4-5m maybe? 

Same exact cap we traded out, losing picks along the way and committing that $ to term...leaving less wiggle room for next off season as instead of that 12m coming of the books its staying. 

Let's see how these 2 new Canucks do next season, boy does the Canuck GM sure know how to convince owners to take on $$$ tho and trade picks, he must have some knowledge against them he can leverage or the owners are the actual GM and he is just the puppet that goes on tv and radio?

Wish the Canucks all the best, hope we make some more moves to free up contracts with some term to get a much needed top 4 RHD

Our cap space crunch was only through this season if you look on CapFriendly. The whole, "OHHH NOOOO, THE CANUCKS ARE SCREWED FOR YEARS AND YEARS" was all media driven to sell clicks and readers. Ferland is another 2 years on LTIR, which doesn't hurt us, teams seem to look for this, so we might end up flipping him to someone like Tampa so they can circumvent the cap a little longer. The only other thing hanging over us is Luongo cap recapture, which ends after this season.

We don't have a problem, although we will continue to spend to the maximum, which is what all teams in Canadian markets do, and push for best team possible. 

15 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Schmidt stays, Holtby gets moved or bought out, same as Virtanen. Assuming buyout, it frees up about 6.3 million in cap space.

Add in Ferland on LTIR for 3.5 million and we have almost an additional 10 million in space. 

No reason to move Schmidt unless someone gives us an offer that really makes it worth it to move him.

Yep you are right. Capfriendly had moved Ferland onto IR, but once moved to LTIR we have some cap space.

Assuming we do not move anyone else, we will have about $2.6m of cap space. Factoring in the $649k of overages, that leaves less than $2m to sign a RHD and a 4C. Who we gonna get for that? Maybe Graovac for $750k at 4C. Leaving $1.2m for a RHD. Maybe Bogosian?

If we trade or buy out Holtby it gives us more options.

Canucks 2021c.JPG

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

The whole, "OHHH NOOOO, THE CANUCKS ARE SCREWED FOR YEARS AND YEARS" was all media driven to sell clicks

I disagree. Eriksson was useless and effectively completely dead cap space for the last 4 or 5 years. At least Roussel and Beagle could actually plug a spot reasonably effectively - albeit at an overpayment. The combination of all really limited Bennings ability to open enough cap to get the kinds of players he wanted. Cap really was a problem, and we suffered through years of it. Hell, Benning couldn't even scrape enough together for a cap-friendly TT extension.

It isn't like it all disappeared on its own either. This last year on all 3 contracts came at a cost to our prospect pool... which is rather dry as it is. And we furthermore only kind of exchanged it into one contract in OEL with many more years of term.

I wouldn't mind seeing Schmidt dealt in a straight up 1 for 1 hockey trade for another Dman. We need a RHD with some size that can play hard minutes. Our blueline is already ridiculously mobile, so the production of this theoretical player is irrelevant, as long as they can play in their own end.

8 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I disagree. Eriksson was useless and effectively completely dead cap space for the last 4 or 5 years. At least Roussel and Beagle could actually plug a spot reasonably effectively - albeit at an overpayment. The combination of all really limited Bennings ability to open enough cap to get the kinds of players he wanted. Cap really was a problem, and we suffered through years of it. Hell, Benning couldn't even scrape enough together for a cap-friendly TT extension.

It isn't like it all disappeared on its own either. This last year on all 3 contracts came at a cost to our prospect pool... which is rather dry as it is. And we furthermore only kind of exchanged it into one contract in OEL with many more years of term.

You haven't researched the other guy we got, have you....

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Schmidt dealt in a straight up 1 for 1 hockey trade for another Dman. We need a RHD with some size that can play hard minutes. Our blueline is already ridiculously mobile, so the production of this theoretical player is irrelevant, as long as they can play in their own end.

Gavrikov?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1