The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

25 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

You haven't researched the other guy we got, have you....

Lol. I'm not assessing the trade. Just showing how cap does matter. I'm aware of all the pieces - and despite his size, it should be fun to watch Garland.

4 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

He's a nice target but our left side is pretty set with OEL, Hughes, Rathbone, Juolevi

I wonder if we sent them Schmidt or OJ even if we couldn't get Gavrikov and a 2nd or 3rd round pick?

51 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Yep you are right. Capfriendly had moved Ferland onto IR, but once moved to LTIR we have some cap space.

Assuming we do not move anyone else, we will have about $2.6m of cap space. Factoring in the $649k of overages, that leaves less than $2m to sign a RHD and a 4C. Who we gonna get for that? Maybe Graovac for $750k at 4C. Leaving $1.2m for a RHD. Maybe Bogosian?

If we trade or buy out Holtby it gives us more options.

Canucks 2021c.JPG

I still see Rathbone on the outside looking in (ie. in the AHL), mostly because he is waivers exempt, but also because he wasn't all that great last season (in a limited role).

regards,  G.

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

I wonder if we sent them Schmidt or OJ even if we couldn't get Gavrikov and a 2nd or 3rd round pick?

I would expect CBJ is on Schmidt's no trade list. Let's not trade Juolevi now, he looks to be developing nicely.

2 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

I still see Rathbone on the outside looking in (ie. in the AHL), mostly because he is waivers exempt, but also because he wasn't all that great last season (in a limited role).

regards,  G.

I don't know what you were watching but my eye test said he was a level above Juolevi. The stats show that Rathbone-Myers were a good pairing, whereas Juolevi-Myers were not.

• Upvote 1

Since we are looking for defensive oriented RHD men how about trade:

To VAN: Gudas

To FLA: Schmidt

Gudas has 2 years left at $2.5m. Gives us another $3.45m space to sign someone like Savard. Our D becomes:

OEL Savard

Hughes Gudas

Rathbone Myers

(Juolevi Bowey)

I have Rathbone higher on the depth chart than Juolevi, but realistically Juolevi and Rathbone will need to sub in/out for each other to shelter them against the long season

10 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Gudas has 2 years left at $2.5m. Gives us another $3.45m space to sign someone like Savard. Our D becomes:

OEL Savard

Hughes Gudas

Rathbone Myers

(Juolevi Bowey)

I have Rathbone higher on the depth chart than Juolevi, but realistically Juolevi and Rathbone will need to sub in/out for each other to shelter them against the long season

I like but think its better for us to keep both atm. Just incase of injury cause who would we put in if one gets injured. 

OEL Savard

Hughes Gudas

Rathbone Myers

(Juolevi Bowey)

Gudas would be a good target. Just for the beard alone!

Savard would be a good pick up as well but might be highly sought after and over paid.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

I don't get the need to make cap space is largely gone... those 3 canucks were only signed for this upcoming year for a total of 12m, we just acquired OEL for 7.26m and need to sign Garland for what 4-5m maybe? 

Same exact cap we traded out, losing picks along the way and committing that $ to term...leaving less wiggle room for next off season as instead of that 12m coming of the books its staying. 

Let's see how these 2 new Canucks do next season, boy does the Canuck GM sure know how to convince owners to take on $$$ tho and trade picks, he must have some knowledge against them he can leverage or the owners are the actual GM and he is just the puppet that goes on tv and radio?

Wish the Canucks all the best, hope we make some more moves to free up contracts with some term to get a much needed top 4 RHD

The cap needed to be cleared so that we can upgrade our roster. If we don't clear that cap, we can't upgrade our roster.

Those 3 players that we "lost" are marginally above AHL level replacements players (well maybe except Beagle who handled PK and defensive tasks).

With this trade, we cleared 12 mil of dead cap (non roster players), and used that money to get 2 roster players + enough wiggle room to handle Petey signing. 

I don't know what you were watching but my eye test said he was a level above Juolevi. The stats show that Rathbone-Myers were a good pairing, whereas Juolevi-Myers were not.

Sorry, wait a minute... you actually have to watch the games?  :P

Rathbone is waivers exempt, so sending him to the AHL (even for a little while) is better than losing another d-man on waivers. Heck, if the team decides that they do want Rathbone in the top-6, then that would be fine by me. I'd like them to find a way to get some value from another player via a trade. Pretty straight forward.

Also, my recollection of Rathbone this past season is, "..........". He scored a goal, didn't he?

regards,  G.

1 minute ago, khay said:

The cap needed to be cleared so that we can upgrade our roster. If we don't clear that cap, we can't upgrade our roster.

Those 3 players that we "lost" are marginally above AHL level replacements players (well maybe except Beagle who handled PK and defensive tasks).

With this trade, we cleared 12 mil of dead cap (non roster players), and used that money to get 2 roster players + enough wiggle room to handle Petey signing. 

If we are able to trade holtby or schmidt we could possibly sign both petey and quinn long term. I mean that would be huge for us

• Cheers 3

What if we move Schmidt for a 2nd to save on cap, promote Bowey to the third pair for some cost control and go all in with Hamilton?

Ekman-Larsson - Hamilton

Hughes - Myers

Joulevi - Bowey

Rathbone

Top two pairs get over 20 mins so the third pair gets some pretty sheltered mins as they develop.