The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

What if we move Schmidt for a 2nd to save on cap, promote Bowey to the third pair for some cost control and go all in with Hamilton?

Ekman-Larsson - Hamilton

Hughes - Myers

Joulevi - Bowey

Rathbone

Top two pairs get over 20 mins so the third pair gets some pretty sheltered mins as they develop.

Because Hamilton would cost 8-9m and we wouldn't have that much cap space just by moving Schmidt

25 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Because Hamilton would cost 8-9m and we wouldn't have that much cap space just by moving Schmidt

Theoretically we could flip Schmidt and Holtby to a team for picks and save 10M then put 8.5M towards Hamilton, buyout Virtanen (get 2M cap relief) and Hamonic for 2.5-3M.

OEL - Hamilton

Hughes - Hamonic

Rathbone - Myers

Juolevi

Sadly I doubt that'd happen, plus neither of those top guys are particularly tough or play super solid defence but boy it'd be fun to have some stars, arguably 3, all together.

That being said, SJS went to crap after they united Burns and Karlsson...

4 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

Imagine if Benning pulled off Schmidt for cernak and we eat Tyler Johnson contract 

We would have to trade or buy out Holtby to afford Cernak + Johnson, but I think TBL want to clear contracts, not take on cap. This deal only nets them $2m in cap space with one less roster player. Once they fill that roster spot at min of $750k then they only end up saving $1.25m in cap. I think TBL are more likely to trade Palat very cheaply, which will give them the cap space to sign a bunch of league minimum guys to complete their roster.

12 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Schmidt, Pearson for a 2nd, 3rd.  Sign Douggie, BOOM 

If we were/are chasing Dougie, I’d actually trade both Schmidt and Myers, and then sign Hamilton and Hamonic with the ~$12M in freed cap space (ideally with some change left over). And look to add another RHD (maybe in the mode of a Hakanpaa, Ceci, etc) for the third pair.

We don’t really need a $6M Myers on the  third pairing. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

If we were/are chasing Dougie, I’d actually trade both Schmidt and Myers, and then sign Hamilton and Hamonic with the ~$12M in freed cap space (ideally with some change left over). And look to add another RHD (maybe in the mode of a Hakanpaa, Ceci, etc) for the third pair.

We don’t really need a $6M Myers on the  third pairing. 

I would cheer Jim Bennings name if he was able to move Myers and Schmidt. I’m kind of over the Myers experiment. I just don’t see him being any better than he already is. Would be nice if he used his size to hit. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Theoretically we could flip Schmidt and Holtby to a team for picks and save 10M then put 8.5M towards Hamilton, buyout Virtanen (get 2M cap relief) and Hamonic for 2.5-3M.

OEL - Hamilton

Hughes - Hamonic

Rathbone - Myers

Juolevi

Sadly I doubt that'd happen, plus neither of those top guys are particularly tough or play super solid defence but boy it'd be fun to have some stars, arguably 3, all together.

That being said, SJS went to crap after they united Burns and Karlsson...

On the one hand, that blueline would allow 45 shots a night.
On the other hand, that blueline would feed Petey a 100+ point season.

Just now, Wayne Glensky said:

I would cheer Jim Bennings name if he was able to move Myers and Schmidt. I’m kind of over the Myers experiment. I just don’t see him being any better than he already is. Would be nice if he used his size to hit. 

I didn’t think it was possible before, but seeing some of the trades this year, I actually think there might be a way to move Myers at his full cap hit, if it’s basically just for future considerations. Or use assets from the Schmidt trade to sweeten Myers. I think both of them could be cleared off the books, and if it means Hamilton coming in (I think and OEL-Hamilton first pairing could really work), I would be fine with zero net assets on Schmidt+Myers, and just a pure cap dump.

Myers also had a pretty good season, at least by his standards. And he’s viewed much more positively by a lot of people than his analytics suggest.

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I didn’t think it was possible before, but seeing some of the trades this year, I actually think there might be a way to move Myers at his full cap hit, if it’s basically just for future considerations. Or use assets from the Schmidt trade to sweeten Myers. I think both of them could be cleared off the books, and if it means Hamilton coming in (I think and OEL-Hamilton first pairing could really work), I would be fine with zero net assets on Schmidt+Myers, and just a pure cap dump.

Myers also had a pretty good season, at least by his standards. And he’s viewed much more positively by a lot of people than his analytics suggest.

I want to keep Myers. He's the least of our issues. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I would mind trying for futures. Need to keep the prospect pool full. I don’t see Jim moving Myers unless a team is willing to take on that contract. JB isn’t done yet.