The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Theoretically we could flip Schmidt and Holtby to a team for picks and save 10M then put 8.5M towards Hamilton, buyout Virtanen (get 2M cap relief) and Hamonic for 2.5-3M.

OEL - Hamilton

Hughes - Hamonic

Rathbone - Myers

Juolevi

Sadly I doubt that'd happen, plus neither of those top guys are particularly tough or play super solid defence but boy it'd be fun to have some stars, arguably 3, all together.

That being said, SJS went to crap after they united Burns and Karlsson...

;) Not enough defence in that defence. I'd rather keep Schmidt and flip Holtby and Virtanen to find a stay at home guy for cheaper.

1 minute ago, B.C.Renegade69 said:

I agree, add a lower cost rhd and switch Nate to his offside

I actually think Hughes is a candidate to play his offside.  He's got the hands and agility to do it and it really only matters in the ozone

... so is "very soon" in geological terms?  Just want be able to manage my expectations :)

If the Montreal rumours are true, I wonder what the trade could involve?  Our "need" is now down to a top 4 RD and a 3C or 4C.  It doesn't make a lot of sense to trade D for D straight up, but maybe in a package.  Maybe Chiarot coming our way?  If not it is just picks coming to us and then using the cap space in a different deal.

Vegas has the extra D to auction off and some that could fill our needs.  Borgen, Soucy maybe depending on who can play their off side.

Edited by Provost

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Gotta wonder if Benning will wait till after free agency when teams are more desperate after striking out.

I think, at this point, he's probably content to sit back and see how things shake out.  I'd imagine he'd be happy enough to go into the season with this lineup but will seize an opportunity if it's just right

6 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

maybe schmidt to montreal for romanov and a 3rd round pick.?

That’s very unlikely to interest Montreal.  Just like Vancouver they aren’t looking to move out their top prospects.  Montreal have brought in stop gap vets but Romanov is a key part of their future.

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

... so is "very soon" in geological terms?  Just want be able to manage my expectations :)

If the Montreal rumours are true, I wonder what the trade could involve?  Our "need" is now down to a top 4 RD and a 3C or 4C.  It doesn't make a lot of sense to trade D for D straight up, but maybe in a package.  Maybe Chiarot coming our way?  If not it is just picks coming to us and then using the cap space in a different deal.

Vegas has the extra D to auction off and some that could fill our needs.  Borgen, Soucy maybe depending on who can play their off side.

Don’t get your hopes up. It’s an Eklund rumour.  Montreal needs a right shot D. Not Schmidt.  

22 minutes ago, B.C.Renegade69 said:

I agree, add a lower cost rhd and switch Nate to his offside

Ryan Murray is left handed, but he gets my vote for a more reasonably priced, somewhat defensively responsible d man target.

26 minutes ago, Provost said:

I wouldn't mind trading Schmidt for a cheaper, bottom pairing right hand D + a draft pick. 

1 minute ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I wouldn't mind trading Schmidt for a cheaper, bottom pairing right hand D + a draft pick. 

It really is the only deal with Montreal that would make any sense unless there were larger packages in play.

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

It really is the only deal with Montreal that would make any sense unless there were larger packages in play.

Looks like we're phoning up David Savard's agent in a few days then haha

Regardless of whether we actually get Savard, I wonder how much he's going to go for. I've noticed some people throwing out numbers north of $5 mil...I'm not so sure about that, but I guess we'll find out. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan