The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

It really is the only deal with Montreal that would make any sense unless there were larger packages in play.

Schmidt doesn’t make sense for Montreal.  There are better options out there for them. 

• Thanks 1

love Dougie as a player but 28 year old hitting up a 7 year contract at the range of 8-10m per year is a no go for me... as much as i want draft picks i'd rather keep Schmidt at 6m and bank on that he can have a great season next to OEL as a top pair veteran unit on our team

thinking

to VGK - Schmidt and Holtby - just over 10 mil, Schmidt happily goes back to Vegas and they get a good replacement for backup

to VAN - Fleury and Stephenson - just under 10 mil, Fleury for one season while DiPietrro gets ready for 2022/23, and a good #3C

10 minutes ago, rekker said:

I want to keep Myers. He's the least of our issues. 

I was responding to a post about the potential of adding Dougie Hamilton, in which case, keeping Myers at $6M does become a bit of an issue. 

And with the sea change of OEL coming in, and then hypothetically adding Hamilton as well, re-signing Hughes, adding a defensive RHD partner for Huggy (Hamonic or other), and having Juolevi and Rathbone in the mix, I think that last D spot on the right side needs to be filled with a cheaper option, and ideally a defensive minded Dman (which Myers is not), with size and physicality, who can support and shelter either Rathbone or Juolevi.

Also, the third pair in this scenario would probably barely get any minutes, as between OEL-DH and the Hughes pairing, there’s probably very little remaining 5v5 icetime for the third pair.

A $6M Myers in that kind of D order becomes an expensive luxury piece and one who IMO doesn’t provide nearly enough team value to justify the expenditure against the cap. 

(Of course, this is all based on a hypothetical where Dougie Hamilton is added, which is unlikely to happen. However, I also thought dumping all three of Eriksson, Roussel, and Beagle was pretty unlikely, especially in one trade, so who knows? ;))

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

thinking

to VGK - Schmidt and Holtby - just over 10 mil, Schmidt happily goes back to Vegas and they get a good replacement for backup

to VAN - Fleury and Stephenson - just under 10 mil, Fleury for one season while DiPietrro gets ready for 2022/23, and a good #3C

I really like Stephenson. Guy is a hound on the puck. Excellent penalty killer, forechecker, can pot some goals. Excellent role player. 

Saying that, doubt this happens. Good thinking tho

Edited by KKnight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Schmidt, Pearson for a 2nd, 3rd.  Sign Douggie, BOOM 

Except we keep adding pieces, moving pieces out. These guys have never played before and might take 'a long time' to gel together to be any legitimate threat, but by then the playoffs are already gone and we're back at the drawing board wondering what happened. 

55 minutes ago, mll said:

That’s very unlikely to interest Montreal.  Just like Vancouver they aren’t looking to move out their top prospects.  Montreal have brought in stop gap vets but Romanov is a key part of their future.

difference between Canucks and other teams when it comes to drafting is that other teams have a much higher rate of success with their 2nd and 3rd round picks. Romanov as a second rounder just one example.

It's a joke - I can't say it in other words - that Canucks have zero prospects in the system than can step in and play 3C or 4C. On defence it's only Woo who might make it to the NHL. Canucks amateur and pro scouts have done a poor job over the last couple of years.

Dahlen a miss. Goldobin a miss, Leipsic a miss. Chatfield a miss, Rafferty a miss. Gadjovich most likely a miss because he can't skate, Lockwood a miss won't make it, most likely.

Best way for Jim is to trade 2nd and 3rd round picks away because Canucks won't strike with those picks.

This franchise isn't going anywhere.

• RoughGame 5

4 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Why is there urgency to move Nate anyway. He's not a bad player and already has some connection with the team. I'd be tempted to keep him.

OEL-Hughes
Schmidt-Myers

Not a lethal D core but very respectable, and you can't make chicken salad out of chicken $&!# overnight, folks. 

Is it possible - cap wise - to keep him?

- OEL        7.3 M

- Myers      6,0 M

- Schmidt   6.0 M

- Hughes    6.0 M - that's a guess to be fair.

- Harmonic 2.0M

I can't see it.

I'd agree that there is no rush to move Schmidt and his value is higher to remain in Vancouver then get dealt, that being said his value isn't garbage either due to one season struggling. Its been said time and again that teams are being very careful to not make rash decisions or put too much stock into last season, coivd has screwed with many people's lives and professional athletes are not immune literally and figuratively.

One thought, under the radar maybe, but the Kings could be a trade partner in that they are seeking to add a couple NHL veterans this offseason. If there is a scenario where a Right handed defenseman in Matt Roy could be made available he'd be someone to explore a little further. One of the only plus defensemen on the Kings, reliable two way game, can add offense, can play with an edge, 6'2" and 205 lbs. Might be a player the Canucks could use on the right side on the top four. $ 3.1m per caphit as well and 26 years old I believe.

8 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

difference between Canucks and other teams when it comes to drafting is that other teams have a much higher rate of success with their 2nd and 3rd round picks. Romanov as a second rounder just one example.

It's a joke - I can't say it in other words - that Canucks have zero prospects in the system than can step in and play 3C or 4C. On defence it's only Woo who might make it to the NHL. Canucks amateur and pro scouts have done a poor job over the last couple of years.

Dahlen a miss. Goldobin a miss, Leipsic a miss. Chatfield a miss, Rafferty a miss. Gadjovich most likely a miss because he can't skate, Lockwood a miss won't make it, most likely.

Best way for Jim is to trade 2nd and 3rd round picks away because Canucks won't strike with those picks.

This franchise isn't going anywhere.

Only 2 of the mentioned players above are actual Canucks draft picks... Demko and Hoglander are the latest 2nd rounder to make it, but for some that's just not good enough I guess... 

5 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I think Schmidt to Florida for Gudas and a pick is a realistic option. 

They have Ekblad, Weegar, Montour, Stralman and Gudas. Somebody's got to go and they're weak on the left side. 

They've been looking to move Stralman and were in talks with Arizona per Craig Morgan / LeBrun.  Stralman might no longer wish to waive now that OEL has been traded though.

31 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

thinking

Vegas are so cap strapped that they had to play games with 15/16 skaters this past season.  This wouldn't help their cap situation.

Stephenson is their C1 - plays with Stone and Pacioretty.  Unless they get an upgrade it's hard to see them moving him.

McNabb, Schmidt's former D-partner, has formed one of the best pairings with Shea Theodore this past season.  Martinez is a UFA and they wish to bring him back.  Don't see why they'd want Schmidt back - they traded him because they wanted an upgrade in Pietrangelo.

Fleury just won the Vezina - can't see them wanting to replace him with Holtby who has struggled.  

6 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Romanov as a second rounder just one example

O.k let's look at all those second round picks of Montreal over the years.

https://hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00006929.html

In 2018  they picked Romanov, and  they had 2 other picks in that round

Total NHL games between those 2,      1 game.

2017 Josh Brook and  Joni Ikonen        0 games

2016, 15 and 2014   no 2nd round picks

2013 Jacob LaRose 242 games, Zach Fucale 0 games, Lehtonen 338 games

2012 Sebastion Collberg  0 games, Dalton Thrower 0 games

2011- 2009 no 2nd round picks

2008 Danny Kristo 0 games

2007 P.K. Subban 757 games on various teams.

Not all that great, imo.

8 guys with 1 game  total  played in the show

4 that have played significant games

Around 33% hit rate on 2nd  round picks.

Vancouver, same timeline

2018 Jett Woo      0 games

2017 Kole Lind     7 games Gads 1 game

2014  Thatcher Demko 72 games 

2012 Mallett                   0 games

2009 Anton Rodin      3 games

2008 Yann Sauve 8 games

2007 Taylor Ellington 

7 players, 1 is now a starting goalie; Lind and Gads  have minimal games played  so far, the other 2 are done.

Plenty bad.

Good thing Benning's scouting team is picking up the average hit rate.

Once free agency opens and we have deals lined up for Hamonic and Hakanpaa, I'm hoping we trade Schmidt for a +/- $3.5m 3C and sign Hamonic and Hakanpaa.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Garland

Hoglander, trade, Podkolzin

Highmore, Dickenson, Motte

OEL, Myers/Hakanpaa

Hughes, Hamonic

Juolevi/Rathbone, Myers/Hakanpaa