The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

3 hours ago, mll said:

He wasn't looking to be traded - the team had just finished 2nd in the Pacific and went to the playoffs and sounded genuinely shocked in his trade interview.  Seem to remember him saying he was building a house but NHL.com has him buying the house - either way he was settling himself in Vancouver:  "It wasn't much more than a year ago that Bonino had been traded to the Penguins, a disappointing moment after he had established himself in Vancouver, bought a house, and settled in."

Nope.  Have first hand knowledge on this one.  It wasnt reported but his wife wanted out of canada, so naturally he did too.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

That is just Miller trying to do way too much and became a turn over machine. Petey barely played this season and Brock was world beater.

They were fine the season before and no reason they will to go back to form in a normal season.

Id hardly call Boeser a world beater.

Defensively the line was brutal, and they got wrecked physically.  Teams have figured out they can easily be neutralized with physical play.  If we intend to compete we need a stronger top line.  

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

You all know that is was Squam and the dummies that he follows reported that Schmidt was unhappy. Drance then followed it up with his Eklund like stupidity and then Dhal mentions I hear and you all treat it as gospel despite Benning saying that it is nothing more than people calling in.

Sure if there is enough interest in him because Kraken went and took all those D men, I guess he could be traded but I think you are barking up the wrong tree. My two cents.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Geez. Did he sleep with your girlfriend or something?

Nah but cmon....he doesnt look/act like your stereotypical douchey jock from high school to you?

Hes 30 but it seems he acts like hes 15. I almost expect him to light his farts on fire or give wedgies to the rookies. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Id hardly call Boeser a world beater.

Defensively the line was brutal, and they got wrecked physically.  Teams have figured out they can easily be neutralized with physical play.  If we intend to compete we need a stronger top line.  

This. If Green would mix up his lines we could have a better chance. Bo's line becomes more effective when the opposition plays tight checking , physical , playoff type hockey. 

15 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Good post and I have to admit you had me very worried about our drafting so I thought I better look into your theory. Turns out you and I can both relax as it seems like someone might have been feeding us bad information.

The Canucks have 10 players on the roster that they have drafted, 6 in the 1st rd, 2 in the 2nd, 1 in the 3rd and 1 in the 4th. Since you cited Romanov -

The Habs have 7 of their picks on the roster, 3 in the 1st, 2 in the 2nd, 1 in the 5th and 1 in the 7th. OK that’s not fair, let’s look at some better teams - 

Colorado has 6 of their picks on the roster (get this) all from the 1st. 1 1st OA, 1 2nd OA and 2 4th OA.  Let’s look at the champs now -

Tampa Bay has 12 of their picks on the roster. 4 in the 1st, 2 in the 2nd, 3 in the 3rd, 2 in the 4th and 1 in the 7th. Of these 1 is 1st OA & 1 is 2nd OA.

Summing up from the second and third rounds we have 1 more than the Habs, 3 more than the Avs and 2 less than the Lightning. By God we’re close to the Champs aren’t we! Looks like you and I can stop worrying and get back behind our team, eh! Good times ahead.

Coming at what you have written, but from a bit of a different angle:

TB has 12 guys in their lineup who were their own picks, 8 of them were selected below the 1st round (as @4petesake has pointed out). Who got selected ahead of these 8 guys in their draft year? (* too lazy to fully do this, but go through the draft picks and look at who was taken prior to the guy who has been kept, or you can take my word for it  :P)

The point is, that if other teams are so much better at finding guys outside of the first round, why aren't they finding better players ahead of these guys? If Kucherov was such a great find in the 2nd round, why did TB take Namestnikov ahead of him? Point was a 3rd round selection, behind DeAngelo(:P), Masin and MacLeod (2nd round x2). DeAngelo looks like he is a better hockey player than he is a person, but those guys in the second round were taken ahead of Point? 

And what about any 1st rounders selected by TB, who aren't world beaters? Koekkoek (2012), Drouin (2013), DeAngelo (2014), Howden (2016) as examples.

regards,  G.

• Upvote 2