The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Thats what im hoping for. Thats if green gives him a chance which he didnt last season for some reason.

Likely because it seems the intention was to bring him in for ED exposure and that’s all they thought of him. Plus the plan was for Rathbone and OJ to get some time, had to see what they had in Chatfield, etc. After signing EP and QH, and others, don’t think we’ll have much $ left and this may end up being the best option left.

We need to keep Schmidt. I think moving him without a viable replacement would be a mistake. If we could get a right-handed guy to replace him, allowing more space for Juolevi and Rathbone. A pairing of OEL-Schmidt, followed by a pairing of Hughes-Hamonic/Goligoski/Schenn/Savard/Ceci, followed by a pairing of Juolevi/Rathbone and Myers. Whoever doesn't win the 3LD spot becomes the 7th D, unless they both make opening night in which case somebody will have to sit. 

Just now, morrissex95 said:

We need to keep Schmidt. I think moving him without a viable replacement would be a mistake. If we could get a right-handed guy to replace him, allowing more space for Juolevi and Rathbone. A pairing of OEL-Schmidt, followed by a pairing of Hughes-Hamonic/Goligoski/Schenn/Savard/Ceci, followed by a pairing of Juolevi/Rathbone and Myers. Whoever doesn't win the 3LD spot becomes the 7th D, unless they both make opening night in which case somebody will have to sit. 

Might need the cap space though. Even with Holtby traded/bought out.

Just now, RWJC said:

Might need the cap space though. Even with Holtby traded/bought out.

OEL and Schmidt is a great top pairing. We haven't had a defense with this many good players since 2012. If Schmidt can bounce back, he'll be contributing to this team in the ilk of a guy like Dan Hamhuis. You don't trade players like Hamhuis they're too valuable. Vegas needed to get rid of him due to cap concerns and now it's time for us to deploy him in a roll where he can be most useful. It might make sense to put Schmidt and Myers on a pairing together, Hughes and OEL and then sign one more defenseman to play on the right side with Rathbone/Juolevi

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

OEL and Schmidt is a great top pairing. We haven't had a defense with this many good players since 2012. If Schmidt can bounce back, he'll be contributing to this team in the ilk of a guy like Dan Hamhuis. You don't trade players like Hamhuis they're too valuable. Vegas needed to get rid of him due to cap concerns and now it's time for us to deploy him in a roll where he can be most useful. It might make sense to put Schmidt and Myers on a pairing together, Hughes and OEL and then sign one more defenseman to play on the right side with Rathbone/Juolevi

I totally agree with you but we don’t know what EP and QH are going to get for term or dollars yet. Imho that’s what’s going to dictate whether we keep Schmidt or not. Heard that contract talks are very close to an agreement, and if you can offload Schmidt’s cap and pick up two players who can fill plug any remaining holes in the roster you have to do it. Schmidt isn’t part of the core, which we need to cater to and build around. 

I hope we can keep him. He’s a great 2 way Dman and what this team needs. But between him and Myers one of them is moveable at that salary and I don’t think it will be Myers. 

It’s a shame to move him but what this team has lacked is depth in all positions. JB has done a great job of addressing it so far and with the market being the way it, could likely fetch a nice return/profit on Schmidt. Asset management.

Edited by RWJC

38 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I totally agree with you but we don’t know what EP and QH are going to get for term or dollars yet. Imho that’s what’s going to dictate whether we keep Schmidt or not. Heard that contract talks are very close to an agreement, and if you can offload Schmidt’s cap and pick up two players who can fill plug any remaining holes in the roster you have to do it. Schmidt isn’t part of the core, which we need to cater to and build around. 

I hope we can keep him. He’s a great 2 way Dman and what this team needs. But between him and Myers one of them is moveable at that salary and I don’t think it will be Myers. 

It’s a shame to move him but what this team has lacked is depth in all positions. JB has done a great job of addressing it so far and with the market being the way it, could likely fetch a nice return/profit on Schmidt. Asset management.

Let's say QH43 gets $6.25M, EP40 gets $7.25M, Garland gets $3.5M and we trade Holtby at 33% retained for a 2nd Round Draft Pick in 2022. We've got enough cap after trading Holtby, signing a replacement and then keeping Hamonic and possibly Sutter or a Sutter replacement for the fourth line. I find Jujhar Khaira to be very intriguing for our bottom six 

There is zero urgency to move Schmidt.

Canucks have cap room.

I expect they will explore trading Holtby next.

They have a bunch of RFA's to qualify and then sign.

Then then then down the road they can look at Schmidt and the market.

Probably the dumbest thread title of the year. Lol.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I totally agree with you but we don’t know what EP and QH are going to get for term or dollars yet. 

I very much agree here. I'm hoping very much so that at least Petey is signed here in the next few days. What if...let's say Seattle slaps a tough, but doable offer sheet to match.  That could handicap Vancouver SO badly. When Benning said he would match any offer sheet for Petey, it indicated to me that he didn't have any intention to get a deal done prior to free agency. That is a baaaaad move, IMO. I know I'll be breathing a sigh of relief when that deal is done.

1 minute ago, morrissex95 said:

Let's say QH43 gets $6.25M, EP40 gets $7.25M, Garland gets $3.5M and we trade Holtby at 33% retained for a 2nd Round Draft Pick in 2022. We've got enough cap after trading Holtby, signing a replacement and then keeping Hamonic and possibly Sutter or a Sutter replacement for the fourth line. I find Jujhar Khaira to be very intriguing for our bottom six 

have to sign Dickinson as well.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Hawryluk and Michaelis can probably be let go IMO.

Hughes 7 + Juolevi 1.3 + EP40 7 + Garland 3.5 + Dickinson 1.75 = 20.55

Holtby likely has to go to fit Hamonic/his replacement, a 4th line C and another depth D right? Maybe moving Schmidt for cap space and paying David Savard slightly less is also a possibility