The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Flyers trade Shayne Gostisbehere, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2022 7th-round pick to Coyotes

12 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Not interested in giving up any assests to dump his contract, I don't want any buyouts this year either. Deal with him and the others for one more year and have over 23 million in cap space for next offseason. We only have Boeser as major contracts to sign next year with minor resignings of Motte, MacEwen and Rathbone. Then go after a couple of big name free agents next year, I get that it's still early and a lot can happen between now and then as far as players resigning with their current teams, but next year's free agent class is far more impressive than this year's. 

Free agents next year include names like Malkin, Giroux, Barkov, Forsberg, Hertl, Jones, Parayko, Reilly, Couturier, Klingberg, Manson, Perron, Colin Miller, Murphy, Rakell, Jenner, Ekholm and a bunch more, and those are just from the UFA class nevermind the RFAs we could potentially offer sheet.

Oh I agree, but this current GM also has to please the owners and try to ice a competitive team to keep his own job. He isn't looking at next off season, or if he is then by golly do we have the wrong person in charge of our team! Focus at filling roster holes, specifically on D! I see 0 need to make another top 9 F a priority at this point...we have these F's

Petey

Miller

Brock

Bo

Hog

Pod

Pearson

Dickinson

Motte

Highmore

Roussel

Ferland?? Pipe dream I know but he hasn;'t officially called it quits yet I don't believe

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

9 goals 11 assists 20 points in 42 games is struggling? The guy averaged just under 20 minutes ice time per game and is under under an easy 2 year 4.5M per cap hit.

He is only 28 years old.

I would say he is still a pretty damn good defenceman, easily cracks our top 4!

Ghost's offensive numbers are still pretty decent yes, but they have been far off the pace he was at in the first several years of his career.  More importantly, Ghost's defensive play has been criticized heavily, so much so that, IIRC, he was healthy scratched a good number of times.  He was even waived at some point last year IIRC.

All I'm saying is that the price ARI payed is surprising based on the questions about Ghost's defensive play and the dip in his production.  There's still a lot to like about Ghost, but I didn't think he would garner a 2nd Rd pick, no less in 2022 when teams expect scouting to return to something closer to "normal".

Just now, EternalCanuckFan said:

Ghost's offensive numbers are still pretty decent yes, but they have been far off the pace he was at in the first several years of his career.  More importantly, Ghost's defensive play has been criticized heavily, so much so that, IIRC, he was healthy scratched a good number of times.  He was even waived at some point last year IIRC.

All I'm saying is that the price ARI payed is surprising based on the questions about Ghost's defensive play and the dip in his production.  There's still a lot to like about Ghost, but I didn't think he would garner a 2nd Rd pick, no less in 2022 when teams expect scouting to return to something closer to "normal".

Philly added the picks (2+7) as sweetener to dump Ghost.  

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Schmidt to Philadelphia?

I sure hope not.

This whole Schmidt thing really bothers me. JB said he did not want out and we need him more than whatever we can get for him. It’s like having a nice car that the dealer won’t give you a good return in a trade. Just keep the car! He is just too valuable for our team. If he is ever traded, ought to be for another top 4D. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Minus 2 while playing 20min per game is not bad for a team that isn’t really tops on the NHL. I personally haven’t seen him play last season but his numbers look good in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I sure hope not.

This whole Schmidt thing really bothers me. JB said he did not want out and we need him more than whatever we can get for him. It’s like having a nice car that the dealer won’t give you a good return in a trade. Just keep the car! He is just too valuable for our team. If he is ever traded, ought to be for another top 4D. 

I'd rather replace him with a more defensive minded right hand shot.  Hopefully a hockey trade to be made somewhere.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Minus 2 while playing 20min per game is not bad for a team that isn’t really tops on the NHL. I personally haven’t seen him play last season but his numbers look good in my opinion.

Was just clarified to me that earlier reports of the picks going from ARI to PHI were mistaken.  ARI received the picks from PHI which makes a lot more sense considering PHI was likely mostly trying to move out $.

Good move for both teams. Arizona needs assets, and they take on a guy for two years to get them. Considering how many of their D are pending ufa's, that's very palatable. 

Philly gives itself a bit of flex. 

Edited by Coconuts

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sure becoming more apparent that Francis the Talking Mule over played his hand.  

Yup.  It looks like he mismanaged the expansion draft big time.  He drafted several players that are AHL players and got nothing back in return.  Not even ONE side deal yesterday.  An absolute disaster for Seattle.  And today ONE trade for a 4th round pick.  Seattle is already in rebuild mode after their first draft.

He's gonna screw up the regular draft now as well.  Just watch.  They should fire him before he causes any more damage to the team.  

No first line, barely a second line, no starting goalie, no puck moving defenceman.  Your best defenceman and player is 38 years old.  What a joke...

• Like 1