The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sabres trade Rasmus Ristolainen to Flyers for Robert Hagg, 2021 1st-round pick, 2023 2nd-round pick

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that's just bad. PHI must really not like who they have at 13... but there's really good players at 13

there must be an extension in place

yup. He has just one year left on his contract. I assume that Philly made sure in advance that they can sign him long term. Philly just gets another Gostisbehere in Ristolainen, a guy who can't defend well.

Looks like an awful trade from a Philly perspective, I mean that's a high 1st round pick (13th overall), a 2nd round pick and a prospect.

• Vintage 1

I would have loved to acquire this player - but not at that price.  Hagg is a solid piece imo - to add to a couple picks.

So much for the "but but Ristolainen can't play defense" storyline you read in here all the time.  This return pretty clearly indicates that the Flyers do not agree - whatsoever - and add to this price the return they sent out to clear Gostisbehere's cap hit....

It'll be very interesting to see what Ristolainen becomes playing for a coach like AV on a team like Pittsburgh.

Glad he landed in a place like that - I love AV - and have a solf spot for the team the Flyers are building.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

I'd have thought if Risto was being acquired, Ghost would be involved in the deal, rather than sent out separately.

A bit steep, but Philly is making moves to address their defense. I don't think Risto is as bad defensively as some claim. He was stuck in Buffalo after all, where no one has thrived. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

What does it now cost to get Seth Jones?  Your entire farm system?

If Risto is worth 4 picks and a prospect (they had to move two picks to get rid of Ghost to fit him under the cap) then I would say Seth Jones is worth an entire draft class...

• Haha 1

Wow. If that's what Risto is going for then I can only imagine what Schmidt would go for. With contract taken into consideration, I'd rather have Schmidt. If Schmidt could get us that I'd rather trade him and tank this next season. We'll have great cap space the following year to really build a competitive team. 

36 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Philly being aggressive. 
I guess that shrinks the market for Schmidt if there is one. 
I kind of think Risto is a player better avoided, just never quite pulls it together into a complete package. 

There's absolutely a market for Schmidt if we really want to move him. I'd say that it puts our expectations at a mid, 1st round pick and possibly a prospect.

18 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

OUT: Shayne Gostisbehere, Robert Hagg, Philippe Myers, Nolan Patrick, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2022 7th-round pick, 2023 2nd-round pick.

IN: Rasmus Ristolainen, Ryan Ellis.

That is a big gamble on this year.