The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sabres trade Rasmus Ristolainen to Flyers for Robert Hagg, 2021 1st-round pick, 2023 2nd-round pick

20 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

How bad is it when you're doing a full rebuild by trading guys who are 24 - 26 years old?

Rebuild is supposed to be when you are trading guys in their mid 30's, not down at this age, because they are generally refusing to play for you any longer!

When given chances and the player continues to underperform to your expectations as coach or GM, sometimes it’s just best to move on and utilize the roster space and cap.  
Virtanen falls into the same category.

Myers and Nolan the same thing. 
Ghost in the (haunted)doghouse because of his own defensive miscues.

The draft picks are the real loss, imho.

5 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Ah yes, good reminder. 

I'm no insider, but I suspect Trymakin's demands were too much and Benning was probably still considering him to be a fringe-NHL defencemen because of the lack of an NHL track record. 

Tryamkin wanted a guaranteed roster spot and playing time. His ask was above what he had earned. Also was never truly committed to North America. No sense in signing that type of attitude above trying to find a better option. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Larsson, Oleksiak and Risolainen gone... as hesitant I am to bring it up again... It actually makes me more upset that GM JB couldn't get a deal done with Tryamkin. He would have been exactly what we need. Ugh. 

Tram would have to be sold on coming over, that's not just on management. What his asking price and demands were are on him and his agent.

14 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

“I told the Canucks what it would take on both a 1 or 2 year term and they told me what they could guarantee today, and the gap was just too wide for Nikita,” Tryamkin’s agent Todd Diamond told Dhaliwal. “Nikita didn’t want to wait and be in a situation like last summer where the team didn’t act and the KHL Club had nearly exhausted its budget.”

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/05/02/nikita-tryamkin-signs-2-year-deal-stay-khl/

Alternatively, if Benning had ponied up whatever Tram had asked, and Tram had gone on to be underwhelming, would you still be fussing about Benning? 

If Tram had unreasonable demands and expectations for someone with his degree of NHL experience and Benning said no is that a bad thing? Because there are an awful lot of fans here who fuss when they perceive someone to be overpaid.

56 minutes ago, TheCustodian said:

Seriously, Schmidt is a significantly better player by all metrics and has contract/cost certainty ... too bad we couldn't get that package out of Philly for him. Benning will now magically get an inferior return on a better player.

Never to early to throw some shade on Benning.

If your opinion is anything to go by, then I guess JB must have done one hell of a good job when he acquired Schmidt for a third round pick. 

#dimjim bad trades

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, CR7 said:

Why not? He's a pretty decent D, would be a good replacement if we do trade Schmidt 

Just that the 1st letter of the name on each would be kinda ridiculous. 

I don't know that MP is the kind of imposing D man we need.

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Tram would have to be sold on coming over, that's not just on management. What his asking price and demands were are on him and his agent.

Alternatively, if Benning had ponied up whatever Tram had asked, and Tram had gone on to be underwhelming, would you still be fussing about Benning? 

If Tram had unreasonable demands and expectations for someone with his degree of NHL experience and Benning said no is that a bad thing? Because there are an awful lot of fans here who fuss when they perceive someone to be overpaid.

The highest paid defenseman in the KHL gets paid $1.04 Million. It couldn't have been that much of a gap. I would have been happy with giving Tram $2 mil to see if he sticks for a year or two - even if he doesn't work out in the end. Even now GM JB is rumoured to be trying to a find a Russian player to help acclimatize Podz... 

40 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

So really it amounts to Philly trading:

Ghost

Hagg

Myers

Patrick

1st

2 2nds

7th

for 

Ristoleinen

Ellis

Now that it's listed like this, honestly it doesn't look so bad for Philly.  
At least on paper, Risto is a top-4 D, while Ghost was done in Philly, Patrick was a question mark and I wonder if Ellis in normal circumstances would've cost a 1st + Myers, so Hagg and the other picks look like scraps in exchange for Risto.

Just now, HomeBrew said:

The highest paid defenseman in the KHL gets paid $1.04 Million. It couldn't have been that much of a gap. I would have been happy with giving Tram $2 mil to see if he sticks for a year or two - even if he doesn't work out in the end. Even now GM JB is rumoured to be trying to a find a Russian player to help acclimatize Podz... 

It's not always just about money. It could be about a guaranteed spot, about playing time, about who he plays with. Could be about term. 

For whatever reason it didn't work out, but the reality is it takes two to tango. 

He's also a young father now, with a young bride. Was likely family pressure to stay home. 

53 minutes ago, Western Red said:

Just that the 1st letter of the name on each would be kinda ridiculous. 

I don't know that MP is the kind of imposing D man we need.

Probably not the D we need, but the D this management has thought we've needed haven't worked out so well, so... I'd rather this guy than some of the 37 year old FAs that are being linked to the team