The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

It cost the Canucks a 1st, 2nd and a lot of cap space to fix his past mistakes (looking forward, I wonder how much it will cost to fix the OEL contract - if it becomes stale).   Still waiting on any potential Schmidt trade.   Also, Dickson & Garland are RFA’s.  The numbers don’t work long term - LE 2.0 ?

My summary - the Yotes gained picks and a lot of cap space moving forward.

Still having a wait & see approach cause lots of moves are potentially still being worked on.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

Too much hate on OEL in here. Will be better with better players around him. Yes the contract is a bit long and a bit high but the retention is huge. This makes us WAY better for the next 2-3 years. After that, maybe not depending who is available at 9. Garland is going to be a slightly worse Miller. We have a good looking versatile top 9 now where players can shift up and down and have a couple decent two way lines and a strong 4th line with Motte there. 

Miller Petey Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Garland

Pearson Dickinson Pod

Motte Hawrylyk MacEwen

Curious what we do on our back end, I hope we keep Schmidt as I don't want to sell low and think this would be a pretty good 7.

OEL - Schmidt

Hughes - Hamonic

Rathbone - Myers

Juolevi

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Garland - Horvat - Hoglander

Pearson - Dickinson - Motte

MacEwan - Sutter - Highmore

OEL - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic

Rathbone - Schmidt

Juolevi

Demko

Holtby (for now)

You know what, that's finally not a half bad top-6, decent 3rd line, and a solid, deep defence with good puck movers.

How's that cap wise?

4 minutes ago, Spoosh said:

The problem in my view is people overthinking it way too much. For whatever reason fans think it is their problem to manage the cap and analyze deals and future what ifs. 
I’m looking forward to seeing the on-ive product. Everything else will be fixed by people well aware of the financial landscape in the NHL and trust me they have thought this through. 

We gave up nothing of real value compared to what we got in return. We moved out 3 players proven to be past their prime and not being able to help the team and one good chance (still just a chance).

We got a great top-9 energy guy and a proven d-man with more upside than anyone we moved out. 

Someone has to...

It is hard to be excited about the product on the ice when it is so far away from being able to contend for the cup. That's why managing the cap is important, because it gets you closer to a point where you can be excited about the on-ice product. I'm not going to be excited about a Flames/Oilers/Leafs-type situation where they perennially underachieve in the postseason.

The Canucks had just one year to go before their major cap issues were over. Benning clearly couldn't wait that long and the Aquas wanted that ticket revenue back, and so here we are. 

I think Garland is a great add. I think OEL will be better than his past performance, but still nowhere worth his current salary, even with 1.2 mil off the books. This would have been a great deal 3 years ago. Making the deal now just feels like a lack of patience.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, Raspberries said:

Virtanen is toast.  Hopefully Schmidt too, he does not want to be here.

Agreed.  Just wanted to put pen to paper.  I feel completely fine with Schmidt being. Over now as my biggest concern leading up to this is what our defense would look like without Schmidt.

29 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

We still have Holtby and Schmidt. I don't think the Canucks are done yet and could see a domino effect happening.

SOURCES SAY CANUCKS TRADING HOLTBY AND SCHMIDT IN DOMINO EFFECT

edit: this is a joke, referring that -VC- is the source

Edited by Roberts
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Only person to blame if Frankie. His cheap ass didn’t fire Jim and not it resulted to this

You can't be so naive as to think that Frankie, possibly the most hands on owner in the NHL, didn't approve a deal of this magnitude before it happened.

Jim agrees on a deal that he thinks can improve our team, presents it to the owner, the owner approves.