The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

Make it stop.

Was not a fan of trading for Miller with a 1st.

Am not a fan of trading a 9th overall full stop.

It will take me a few days, or something, before I can say I want to cheer for OEL because he is a Canuck...

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Someone on 650 just said Ghost is better than OEL. I’m dying….. how is anyone that dumb? 

Edit: a phone in commenter not a host**

Ok if I said that and you said I was wrong you'd be right. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, smokes said:

Awww man with Louie, Beagle, Roussel, Edler, and most likely Virtanen gone. Who will be the new CDC whipping boy?

We're gonna re-sign Sutter to take Beagle's spot, just wait 

It'll be cheaper, and his cap will likely reflect his role better, but just wait

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

This can be true, but what is also true is that the Canucks could have waited a year, at which point they'd have 13million off the books and could pursue this type of player without giving up assets. 

So the better solution is JB even more desperate trying to fill numerous holes in the UFA market next year? I think I like that plan less than the trade. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/177208/conor-garland

check this out:

68 games in 2019/2020 : 39 pts

49 games in 2020/2021:  39  pts

one of the best right wingers in the NHL past 2 season with 39 points , sorry man  ?

Do you have concept of valuation? 49 games is less than 68 games, so he actually produced the same amount of points in fewer games.

And he did it while assisting his teammates.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Our defence just got a lot better. 

Ekman Larsson  Schmidt 

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone/Juolevi Myers 

Check out our top 9 as well, might be top 5 for depth and quality in the league.  We also have a bunch of space to rebuild our 4th line as well.

We have a really good team heading into camp.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

This can be true, but what is also true is that the Canucks could have waited a year, at which point they'd have 13million off the books and could pursue this type of player without giving up assets. 

Then everyone would complain about over paying or too much term. Free agency is a crap shoot, look at a lot of our signings in the past or look at Edm with Hyman with reports he's getting a 7 year $5.5m contract. The vast majority of cap room crippling contracts are given out to UFAs.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

With this room we could also probably go long term on Petey or Hughes - which could save us money down the road. 

Opens up a lot of options… and with the cap space you know we aren’t done yet.  

After sitting on it for a few minutes I’m excited for the season - adding OEL, Garland and Dickinson is a pretty awesome way to start the offseason. 

I concur. It’s no surprise that the usually suspects are doing the loudest whining. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Make it stop.

Was not a fan of trading for Miller with a 1st.

Am not a fan of trading a 9th overall full stop.

It will take me a few days, or something, before I can say I want to cheer for OEL because he is a Canuck...

I didn't stop being a fan of the Canucks even after a certain #11 was a Canuck (I will refuse to type his name though, even today :lol:).

SOi we got rid of three dead anchor contracts and added a large contract back.

So we added term when we would have had that dead anchor space free after the next season.

What people FAIL to understand is that without those roster spots available our kids don't get to play.

Could you imagine Eriksson being played OVER Podkolzin JUST because of that contract?

I am 50/50 about this deal because I despise the dearth of picks that seem to be leaving this club over the last 3 seasons but at the same time I am not deluded enough to believe this is a bad deadl.

Honestly, if HF Forums is melting down and /wrists than usually it works out well.  

The one thing people failed to take in to consideration is that OEL< checked out of the Arizona locker room 2 seasons ago.  After all of the rumours of him wanting out popped up his play nose dived.  IS that because he's magically unskilled, can't pass shoot or skate anymore?  Or did he just flat out have enough in Arizona and just wanted the hell out?

I would say it's the latter and we get the OEL from 4-5 seasons ago on the team.  I might also say that this possibly opens the door to Edler wanting to stay as well and at a moderate discount.  There is some good blood between the two of them and who knows.

Needless to say, I am very meh about this deal right now but do not believe it is entirely bad as of yet.  We drop short term cap to re-sign some important kid(s) we open up roster spots for our youth to actually play AND possibly get a rejuvinated OEL in the line up.  

And if not...Benning is unemployed in 2 seasons or less.  Win win win

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1