The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

2 hours ago, vancan2233 said:

Nope, has not, complete lie. Look up the stats. He has been putting up the same number for the last 6 years. 

2014-15 Arizona Coyotes NHL 82 23 20 43 40 -18 -- -- -- -- --
2015-16 Arizona Coyotes NHL 75 21 34 55 96 -6 -- -- -- -- --
2016-17 Arizona Coyotes NHL 79 12 27 39 48 -25 -- -- -- -- --
2017-18 Arizona Coyotes NHL 82 14 28 42 44 -28 -- -- -- -- --
2018-19 Arizona Coyotes NHL 81 14 30 44 52 -16 -- -- -- -- --
2019-20 Arizona Coyotes NHL 66 9 21 30 38 -3 9 1 3 4 8
2020-21 Arizona Coyotes NHL 46 3 21 24

40+ point D man, and is going to continue that for another 3+ years. Arizona did not have(or ever had during OEL time) the top end players Vancouver has. You will see him get back to the 50 point mark for the next couple years in Van. 

He’s a twenty point at even strength D. 

Hughes is the first PP guy. OEL PP production will fall.

If he gets deployed in hard matchups like Benning suggests he will, his production will fall at ES as well.

• Like 1

I still don’t understand why so many people are framing the salary trade-off as a win for the Canucks. Beagle’s, Louie’s and Roussel’s contracts. are. expiring. OEL’s contract is a whopping $7 million/5 years (after Arizona’s cap retention). 

It’s not that difficult to understand. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I still don’t understand why so many people are framing the salary trade-off as a win for the Canucks. Beagle’s, Louie’s and Roussel’s contracts. are. expiring. OEL’s contract is a whopping $7 million/5 years (after Arizona’s cap retention). 

They're buying Benning's sales pitch that OEL is a top-pairing defenseman who just had a "tough couple years" versus another Myers. Should have just flipped the 2nd for Garland.

Edited by TheCustodian
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Players that were useful at one time get older, injured, and become surplus to needs. It seems foolish to expect them to play at the same high level forever. Not going to pretend that they are still useful, and sing their praises. 

That’s the way of the world in professional sports. 

Except Eriksson at 31, Beagle at 33, and Roussel at 29 (when they signed the deals) were far more closer to "past their best" than they were "in their prime".  Eriksson was a fine risk, given he was a top 6 forward and played a great two-way game.  It was indefensible to have signed Beagle and Roussel to their contracts, however.

We committed too much money and term to those bottom-six guys to provide "mentorship".  That's foolish.

Signed into the forum for the first time all year because of this trade. While I'm pleased Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel are gone, nobody wants to see a first round pick surrendered + absorbing a new albatross contract. I've never been particularly keen on OEL, but Connor Garland is a very, very exciting acquisition. The overwhelming narrative about this draft was it was underwhelming and very difficult to predict, due to the world. So we'll see. 

Edited by zzbottom

2 minutes ago, J-Strap said:

You really ought to listen to your shrink and stop fantasizing about another person’s strap.

You have chosen the right username for yourself man 

You know what a J-Strap is ?

A nutcase 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

We gained 5 mil in cap,  gained a top 4 defender, and a top 6 forward.

OELs deal is no riskier than the deal Jones and Hamilton will get.

Whats not to like?

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Cause eventually the flat cap will end, and by then 7mil for OEL won't really be that bad. It's not that difficult to understand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

You realize OEL was miserable in Arizona right? You think he was giving it a full 100% last couple years? He was given a ton of Norris votes not that long ago. 

He wants to come HERE and will play WAY better. I would love to bet anyone this. Having the top 6 forward makes this even more sweeter.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Whats not to like?

Agree on Jones. Do not agree at all on Hamilton.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Whats not to like?

I haven’t said that I’m against this trade precisely because it hinges on which OEL shows up. 

But that cap would’ve been gained next year regardless. Is what we paid the Yotes to take 3 1-year contracts off our hands worth it when we could’ve just bided our time? We’re certainly not contending this coming season. 

Edited by guntrix
  • Haha 1

Beagle Eriksson and Roussel gone.

All in one deal.

That is JB killing it.

No reason to nit pick this deal. OEL top 2F and Garland top 6 F.

Ya it's a game changer  like the Erhoff deal back in the day.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 2