The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

9 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

What just happened?

1.  Benning painted himself into a corner by adding players who were good in the past so they cost a lot of money, and they are not good any more.  Canuck fans have resigned themselves to the reality that these contracts would expire in 2022 and that the team would be severely limited as to what they could do until then.  Benning brought out his broom and swept 3 of the worst away.  Eriksson 6.0 cap hit, Roussel 3.0 and Beagle 3.0.  

2.  Benning has been trying to add top 9 forwards and reasonable prices who play with jam, can skate and put up points also who fit in within the age range of the core (Horvat 26 and Hughes 21).  Now, Garland is 25 and just coming into his own.  He will likely slot into the 2nd line, sign for around $4.0, and put up 40 points.  

3.  Benning has been trying to add a top pair quality 2-way D who can move the puck, play the PP and PK, match up against top players and give us some offense.  

The cost.  

9 OA, 2nd next year, 7th in 2 years.

The benefits, all of the above.

Now, the core of the Canucks has been drafted but they need to be properly supported.  Draft picks should be considered as assets to be either used and the players developed over the next 3-5 years or parleyed into players who can support the present core today.  

In one fell swoop, Trader Jim awoke from a slumber and made the Canucks a helluva lot better.  Is there more work to do?  Of course, but I'm feeling a helluva lot more at ease with the line up that he might trot out on opening night.

And the extra 4.75 Cap mitigates the impact of a run on our top RFAs

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

44 points

23:38 / game

162 hits

But the guy has been a soft, slow, overpaid 3rd pairing defenseman for the last three yearz!

Worst contract in the entire league!  

Seriously - that claim is embarrassing.

Shoulda been a one-for-one for LE!

Honestly - I got more than tired of the OEL rumours- particularly once it became clear how deluded Arizona was in seeking a ridiculous return for him - but as 1/3 of the value in this deal....including Garland - taking LE and Roussel (and my man Beagle)....much more in line with what most of us would have found acceptable last summer.

Plus he just turned 30… I think people look at a few rough seasons and think his body has given out, but as Canuck fans we need to remember how many times we wrote off Edler and Tanev only to see them come back and play great hockey… and as much as I appreciate those two I don’t think they’re quite up to OEL’s peak ceiling. 

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I love how some fans put so much value in a first round pick.

Like that’s going to be the difference of us being a contender in 5 years.

Here’s the thing, if we’re not a contender before 5 years we’re probably already in another rebuild anyways.

The time to go for it is now. We have the core in place. 

First round pick always a gamble be interesting see how these picks pan out

• Cheers 3

Just now, Crabcakes said:

I think that Eriksson + Roussel + Beagle = 12.0

OEL 7.2 + Garland 4.0 = 11.2

But there is no need to go back to Edler 6.0 or even 2.0

We don’t need to sign Garland until we need to sign him, gives us flexibility 

• Vintage 1