The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

2 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

I’m gutted by LE’s departure Blunt. A huge void has been created. Who will do all the little things? Who will pot those crucial empty netters? 
My LE #21 Jersey is now a sad relic of better times. :P

We’ll make it through. A day at a time. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

As Juice said. Skate around them and score a goal. 

As of right now Seattle doesn’t have much for defencemen that can move the puck. I’m not worried about that defence what so ever as it stands today 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

Plus he just turned 30… I think people look at a few rough seasons and think his body has given out, but as Canuck fans we need to remember how many times we wrote off Edler and Tanev only to see them come back and play great hockey… and as much as I appreciate those two I don’t think they’re quite up to OEL’s peak ceiling. 

I had a major oof first thing this morning when I read the grade tweet and thought OELs contact went up until he was 39. As you say 36 ain't so bad. After reading through the thread I'm coming around that the last 2 years were an outlier. You have to think Benning and co.  watched the hell out of him this year so they must have a good idea he has more to give. The best thing we will see 23 finally get a goal next season. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

I know the quote you are referring to.  This trade changes that timeline though.  We have a much,much better team now than we did this morning.    A few years down the road is there risk? sure, but for next year, we have a solid looking team.  I expect a few more move will be made in the next few days.  OEL is a significant upgrade on Edler, and Garland could put up 65-75 points next season.   Dickinson was a very good add as well.

Those bad contracts were front loaded and now are like half the cap hit which makes it very attractive to the broke @$$ Coy dogs.

ps: they protected 2 good players for us now that’s a good deal!

Looks like all the good picks were gone by #9 anyway, maybe JB had the inside scoop.

This is now Geunther for Garland basically and OEL for a 2nd round pick plus a free cap dump.

Geunther may be good but Garland has a higher chance of being a top NHL player and fits with this core better.

Smart move JB once again.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Yes we won’t be able to move Boeser, Peterson, Hughes or any of our young players because of their no movement clause and declining skills :bigblush:

I’m afraid that Boeser & Hughes could/will bolt from the franchise for family considerations, eventually.

Swedes & Finns are the better  investments, because the weather is gorgeous in Scandinavia for a few months out of the year (a normal hockey off season) and they generally don’t care where they’re residing for the other 8 or 9 months.  

VanCity is among the best NHL environments to offer guys who appreciate those similarities to home geographically, environmentally, politically & socially.  

It’s not always the same, but I swear, there are days in the woods, by the sea or by a lake, when I think to myself that this easy-breezy birch tree chillaxin’ vibe feels akin to being there in Sweden or Finland. 

Edited by viking mama
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, SergioMomesso said:

Like someone posted earlier. Better to pay 7.6 million to watch OEL play than 6 million to watch LE21 eat popcorn, 3 Million to watch Roussel lose fights and take stupid penalties and another 3 to watch Beagle break his arm blocking a shot in a 5-1 game

But it was only for 1 more year.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Oh haha missed that.  Guess it’s Smith forever!

Certain GMs are hard wired in their belief that you can hoist Lord Stanley’s chalice with average goaltending. They point to Chris Osgood as their shining example.

Good luck with that KH :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Been listening and reading alot of the opinions on this deal and despite the hype there is an lot of nervous energy associated with this deal for the Canucks.

The Canucks took all the risk and the pressure is now on Green to put it all together cause having this next season turn out like it did for Calgary (after there big offseason last year) is not an option.

4 hours ago, EmilyM said:

Benning himself said we’re aiming to be competitive in two years. So why sell off 9th overall to be a little bit better right now?

Probably figures he can improve his team  more than his opposition can, gain an extra year of window time.

12 minutes ago, alucard said:

But it was only for 1 more year.

But Larson can play and the others no longer could. Plus they got a 2nd or 3rd line winger that plays with speed and effort, a long with getting a good amount of points

4 minutes ago, RomanP said:

You have got to be kidding me. Demko, Petterson, Hughes, Boeser, Hollander, Horvat, to a lesser degree Rathbone and Juolevi - isn’t it sufficient for you from draft perspective? No one builds a team entirely on draft alone…

You forgot Podz

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I wonder if theres a chance to get demelo from winnipeg for schmidt. I know they want to upgrade their D and demelo would be a great d partner for quinn

Winnipeg are looking for the same kind of Ds as Vancouver - defensively reliable Ds to stabilise their pairings.  Feels unlikely that they would trade DeMelo and Schmidt is not even the kind of D they are looking for.

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

Honestly a really good take. This was the year to trade the 1st rounder - I expect a lot of busts in the 1st round, due to lack of playing time and limited scouting opportunities. He should focus on recovering picks in next year's draft and 2023. 

I'm pretty surprised this deal got done. Guenther for Garland? GREAT deal for us. 
Beagle, Roussel, LE, 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, bucket of chicken for OEL? With Salary retained? Incredible deal for us.

Really not sure how Arizona benefits from this, unless Garland was not going to want to sign with them. Seems like a pretty bad deal to trade away a great top 6 forward for Dylan Guenther (potentially a top 6 but who knows)

7th rounder