The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

14 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Tbh, question whether this guy IS a legit, and/or devoted Canucks-backer. His channel is successful; but like a politician, seems he wants to be everything to everyone. The old 'please all the p, all the time' adage...

Hard for me to trust the opinion of one who claims the Canucks & Broon-goons as two of his fav teams. Is there ANY franchise a self-respecting Van loyalist hates more, over this past decade?

If one claims to back a team, just don't get how they should constantly denigrate/diminish the one who has built it(for nearly a decade), as JB has been doing. Throwing shade from such a platform(or HF, reddit, twitter, etc...) appears to me a convenient ploy to play things both ways. But I don't know, don't really follow such channels too closely.

If one really dislikes the GM/direction of their fav team, why not find a hobby to burn off a few yrs? But then, to each, their own, as they say.

He has some points:

1.Why as a team which does not make playoffs we always trade picks?

2.Why pay so much with picks to take a big contract? especially in flat cap era?

Edited by alucard
  • Cheers 1

The future is now, as hard as it is to loose a 1st round pick the future is now 4+ years. As long as OEL shows up to plays hockey unlike Eriksson, we are looking a lot stronger.

Edited by koregen
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, sassbs said:

I hope We keep Schmidt now

100% agree. Schmidt plays best on the right side, and OEL has the defensive awareness that comes with being a top PK unit guy. I'm thinking he makes a perfect partner for Schmidt, and they make each other a whole lot better.

Savard to play with Hughes, and lets Hughes run up the score b/c teams are busy trying to match up against OEL and Schmidt. 

OEL-Schmidt
Hughes-Savard
Juolevi-Myers
Rathbone

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Shannon is great as a source for comprehensive nhl news. His takes are more level headed than most out there except when it comes to the Canucks. 

He is one of those disgruntled old timer fan that has just given up on the team and just defaults to whatever the team does is bad. 

Called him out a few times and he got really mad at me. 

That said, this was posted before we knew all the 1st tier players are gone at 9th. So his take was based on is getting one the top centers or d man and he is also suspectable to the believe that the team with the most cap space and picks wins the cup. 

It's hard for me to give too much credence to such channels. If I tried to run one like his, it'd prob be shut down in a freeken' day.

I don't trust how the NHL runs their biz(which I state here regularly), & it'd be the point I'd constantly try to hammer home.

When folks(and/or media) try to cover large entities like a pro sports league, they must either be fully believing(or apologists), or TPTB won't leave such a platform up for long.

He seems like a decent enough bloke, but I'll only devote leisure time to analysts(of any pastime, topic or realm) that are hard-hitting skeptics. We are living in a period of corruption & media-wh*res, thus require insights from folks who are willing to look under carpets!

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, alucard said:

He has some points:

1.Why as a team which does not make playoffs we always trade picks?

2.Why pay so much with picks to take a big contract? especially in flat cap era?

Why has a team got rid of so much dead cap?

• Vintage 2

11 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

Why has a team got rid of so much dead cap?

No, all the cap we traded was only for ONE year.

we now have a lengthy big contract, my problem is giving up too many picks. JB always trades his 2nd rounders.

Hoglander was a 2nd rounder, at least keep the 2nd round pick.

Edited by alucard

6 minutes ago, Nave said:

Wow, he actually did it. Offloaded three horrible contracts of guys who can no longer play... 

But, to get a top 4 defenseman and top 6 forward while doing it? Wow, wow.
When I found out the news at work, I decided to reserve judgment until I saw how the draft played out after my shift.
None of the guys I really wanted were still there at 9. So, I feel really good about the trade.
Benning bet that none of the top 4 D would fall to us, and won.

Yet if you visited HFboards, you'd guess he boiled minced rabbits in a pot, ala Glenn Close...

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, alucard said:

we now have a lengthy big contract, my problem is giving up too many picks. JB always trades his 2nd rounders.

Hoglander was a 2nd rounder, at least keep the 2nd rounder.

Honestly the picks really don't matter in this deal. In an average year, you may hit on 2/7 of your picks. Yes we traded away picks, but we got a guaranteed roster player, who also happens to be a bona fide top 6. 

We basically traded Dylan Guenther away for Conor Garland. Take that deal any day and run fast before the other team changes their mind haha

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, alucard said:

Hoglander was a 2nd rounder, at least keep the 2nd rounder.

Yeah. Think most people's problem with Jim is he ain't fleecing anyone in trades. 

Comes with the personality. Jim probably prefers to greese the wheels and not burn any bridges whereas most fans want their GM to go for the kill, but as a process destroy their relationship with the other guy for all future moves. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Now the real hard work of signing everyone and getting them to fit, Schmidt and Hamonic included.

JBs been a great drafter and great trader but his signings have been questionable sometimes so let's hope he manages to get everyone in, don't want to forget anyone.

I think we still have to move cap, whether it be a Holtby trade ideally, Virtanen buyout or (hopefully not) a Schmidt trade, it's going to be tight.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Honestly the picks really don't matter in this deal. In an average year, you may hit on 2/7 of your picks. Yes we traded away picks, but we got a guaranteed roster player, who also happens to be a bona fide top 6. 

We basically traded Dylan Guenther away for Conor Garland. Take that deal any day and run fast before the other team changes their mind haha

But whole strategy of Benning always trading away picks is what i am talking about.

what happened to build through the draft. trading away this year 1st round I get because it was a covid year.

but he always trades picks, I do not like that.

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Yeah. Think most people's problem with Jim is he ain't fleecing anyone in trades. 

Comes with the personality. Jim probably prefers to greese the wheels and not burn any bridges whereas most fans want their GM to go for the kill, but as a process destroy their relationship with the other guy for all future moves. 

Exactly, he is not Yzerman savvy type.

• RoughGame 3