The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

11 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

That as^hat never has a positive thing to say about the Canucks.

I'll be all the more wonderful to stick it to them, when we stay around longer than the laughs next year.... The most overrated franchise in the world of sports...

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, khay said:

This is what I don't get. They want Risto but complain that we got OEL even when OEL is better than Risto. OEL is a suspect in his own end? What about Risto? Risto is big that's all that he's got on OEL. And look at what it cost to get him. If OEL didn't have a two team trade list, we don't get OEL at this cost. He's still a good player although no longer at the level he used to be.

Also, OEL at slightly north of 7 mil is not too bad of a cap hit. He is still a smooth skating dman who transitions the puck very well and could suit the style that we play. He will have plenty of forwards that know what to do with the puck, unlike in Arizona.

People complain that we should have just put up with one stinker of a season and let those bad contracts expire. I don't think that would sit well with the players. The players hate losing and to come back with the same team and finish in the bottom 5 would equate to losing morale and players feeling lost. This is not an NHL game where you can sim the whole season. The players digest the 82 game schedule with the goal of making the playoffs, it is extremely demoralizing to lose and feel inferior to other teams/players. The frustration level in the locker room after this season is higher among the players as evident from Horvat's comments. 

Last season saw us go on an upswing, winning two series, only to be let down this season. If no significant moves are made and the same type of season followed in 2021-22 season, the team may never recover and this core may be in jeopardy.

Also, keep in mind the division that we are in. The three Cali teams are rebuilding, Calgary is in a disarray, Seattle doesn't look like they'll be as good as Vegas was, and Arizona is, well, Arizona. That leaves Vegas and Edmonton as the only teams that are likely to make the playoffs, which leaves the door open for Vancouver. We should capitalize on this opportunity.

Arizona is gone ... too bad for us.  Seattle has enough money to be better then Vegas was for sure if they are wise spenders - but agree we just got a whole lot better too. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Filthy McNasty said:

And how we got schmidt for a 3rd he had a bad year and suddenly he is worth a 1rst 

I bet my left testie benning trades Schmidt for a  3rd and holtby for a 3rd or 4th to have some spending cash at free agency

benning is going for a breath of fresh air and to win now, those 2 will be traded for way less than what people think just to get cap relief 

I dunno I’m seeing some teams like Carolina and Montreal with multiple 2nds.

Maybe we can land one of those who knows?

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If he didn’t trade the pick people would criticize him and say he should have traded it for Reinhart.

Basically they want him to improve the team without trading anything significant or overpaying in free agency. Two things that aren’t possible.

If Benning had traded McD for 6th, they would say nice, but could it not have been a 7th and they should have retained some cap... Benning can't win here...

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

I still think they will be looking to move Schmidt 

Yep most likely.

Hughes (6 mil?) Schmidt (5.9 mil)

OEL (7.25 mil) (Myers 6 mil)

Thats 25 mil on D with not much balance. We could save money on a right side stay at home d man for Hughes which should be our number 1 target.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Yep most likely.

Thats 25 mil on D with not much balance. We could save money on a right side stay at home d man for Hughes which should be our number 1 target.

Hughes could be 8mil.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep most likely.

It should have been our number one target.

Now we have high priced Edler.

Just now, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Only if he took a long term deal which he will not want. Could see it last night all three Hughes brothers want to play together he will be going to njd asap

No he won’t.

Quinn doesn’t want to go to stink town. He’s got a pretty sweet gig here.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

The interesting thing is I called OEL the second worst contract in the NHL a few weeks ago on this board and was happy that we missed out on that mistake. 

Then we ended up acquiring it. 

@IBatch@aGENT

I KNOW you guys weren’t fans of OEL a few weeks ago.

Lol...you know do you ... Just to reply i'm not sure JB could have done a much better job of clearing cap for so little cost during flat cap or otherwise.    LE was worth the first on his own (not saying i agree with that - yet - either) ... 

12% retention, not sure where that puts him as far as worst contracts now, maybe still near the bottom, of course that depends on his actual play.   Better then Trouba at 8x8 lately now.    

A first glance, like the Miller trade, found this a head scratcher - even more so because of how massive the deal was.   

Garland for sure is a win.   He was worth the second and 7th plus on his own plus actually.  We underpaid during flat cap for a first, but it was a ninth so let's call that a wash for LE.   Means in a way we traded OEL for Beagle and AR plus the retention and the extra we didn't pay for Garland.    In the macro sense I get this trade after some thought.    I was ok with the team trading for Reinhardt and QHs to acquire a guy like Ekblad or Chychrun to make the team better now - this does the same thing and more.   We keep QHs, we replaced Edler - and the cost was carried out over the length of OEL's deal.. which mitigates all that wasted cap we'd have sitting on the bench this year yet again.  Might be 2 mill a year - that's ok.   Instead of 12 again all at once. 

Our team is better now, and sure the players will be excited.   QHs won't be killed night in night out with OEL there to help.    And he's only 30.   If you follow my posts i've said many times blue chip D's (which of course he is, just overpaid) often have their best seasons 30-34....Burns did...Lidstrom did, Visnovsky...Coffey almost won the heart 15 seasons in...we paid Edler six during his 30's cant see this been much different.    This might end up one of the better trades the Canucks have made in a very long time.   

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It still can be.

Im thinking they grab someone like Savard. If not Hamonic is not a bad plan B.

EFriedman reported that Savard is one of the only D's available, including Jones (CHI), that was willing to listen to offers from Canadian team.   High taxes, social media and pandemic freedoms reported as the reasons for that.    We have basically the highest taxes (53%) since the NDP came in.    Why Miller looks so darn grumpy out there lol.   

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1