The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

7 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Tbh, question whether this guy IS a legit, and/or devoted Canucks-backer. His channel is successful; but like a politician, seems he wants to be everything to everyone. The old 'please all the p, all the time' adage...

Hard for me to trust the opinion of one who claims the Canucks & Broon-goons as two of his fav teams. Is there ANY franchise a self-respecting Van loyalist hates more, over this past decade?

If one claims to back a team, just don't get how they should constantly denigrate/diminish the one who has built it(for nearly a decade), as JB has been doing. Throwing shade from such a platform(or HF, reddit, twitter, etc...) appears to me a convenient ploy to play things both ways. But I don't know, don't really follow such channels too closely.

If one really dislikes the GM/direction of their fav team, why not find a hobby to burn off a few yrs? But then, to each, their own, as they say.

This guy is a goof.  He seems to forget that you actually have to play a season full of games with actual players.  He's the guy who plays franchise mode, but sims all the games!

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, 70seven said:

Everyone keep in mind TOR gave up a first for one year of Marleau retention.

Using a dumb trade made by an analytics dweeb who has proven himself to be grossly incompetent isn't exactly setting the bar high.  Dumbass is the worst GM in the history of the league other than Milbury.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Write these words down

OEL has only once in his entiree NHL career been a plus player and that was his first ( actual half  season ) iin 2013. Now we have Ericksson Mk2 covering up for Ericksson Mk1 and to think we couldn't sign Tanev because the term was too long ..... 4 years @ $4mill per. I hope the Xmas card you get from Arizona is  worth it all

You negative Nellys always give old Alfer a good chuckle.  Garland is a fabulously gifted player, who brings bite.  He’s a nasty piece of crap to play against.  OEL turned 30 last week.  He’s still great.  Guy is big, can skate, handles the puck great, and plays huge minutes.  This is a friggin’ steal!  And it’s for Geunther!  He’s a bustaroo bonsai!!!  

• Cheers 2

I didn’t dislike the trade when first hearing about it. I knew OEL was nowhere near his prime but thought he was a good 2nd pairing, just way overpaid. 

Is he really this bad??? Yikes. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vancouverisawesome.com/amp/canucks-hockey/jim-benning-ekman-larsson-is-going-to-be-our-number-one-defenceman-3982396

image.png.0562b9c542d02a519baff01291478f6e.png

Edited by canucklehead44

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You negative Nellys always give old Alfer a good chuckle.  Garland is a fabulously gifted player, who brings bite.  He’s a nasty piece of crap to play against.  OEL turned 30 last week.  He’s still great.  Guy is big, can skate, handles the puck great, and plays huge minutes.  This is a friggin’ steal!  And it’s for Geunther!  He’s a bustaroo bonsai!!!  

You left the best part out about OEL he's a negative player for his entire career .... his entire career. Plus the guy behind him is Hughes another proverbial negative player. You think the D looked like a fire drill last season  ...... you ain't seen nothing yet. All these years fans have gone on and on ad nausea about Ericksson and his .....   l  o  n  g  expensive contract and poof like a cloud of smoke they forget it and waht do we do sign Ericksson Mk2. The future will be all about, why did we sign this guy and for such a long long term??? Remember this day Alf. OEL going to be still screwing up the Vcr salary Cap long after you and I have moved along LOL

Edited by Fred65
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, stawns said:

It's good to back after a three day ban........well worth it though 

It took some time to process this move but ultimately this might go down as one of the biggest moves in Canucks history, a real franchise changer.

I'm not sure why people think OEL is washed up, he was on a 40+ point pace last year and I don't see any reason why he won't continue that trend for at least 3&4 years.  He plays a very smooth game and does so without a lot of effort........he's the kind of guy who might have some mileage, but they've been easy miles.  I can see him being very effective well into his late 30's.

Garland is a legit top 6 and plays the kind of game JB and TG like.........I think this aspect of the deal is as can't miss as it gets.

It's tough giving up the #9, but in the end JB must have known who each team was taking ahead of him.  I got a little worried when eklund dropped, but ultimately it was a brilliant move by JB.  

Listening to Don Taylor whine about giving up another first was no nauseating (what happened to this guy?).  Do all these people think these players want to keep losing for 3 more years all in pursuit of the almighty draft picks?  Young players are great, but Bo is the heart of this team and he's at an age where he needs to start winning. 

Pursuing a Cup doesn't happen in one year, it takes 4-5 years of trying and failing to get there.......that process needs to start asap.  This core can't wait any longer.

You're right this is a chnager, much like Cam Nelley was a chnager LOL

• Haha 1

I know OEL hasn’t been great the past few years. JB is banking on a return to form, it’s a risk. But how can you possibly win the Stanley Cup without taking any risks? Would you rather never swing the bat & draw the safe walk every time, or would you rather swing for the fences? You might strike out, but you might hit a 400 ft grand slam

14 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Write these words down

OEL has only once in his entiree NHL career been a plus player and that was his first ( actual half  season ) iin 2013. Now we have Ericksson Mk2 covering up for Ericksson Mk1 and to think we couldn't sign Tanev because the term was too long ..... 4 years @ $4mill per. I hope the Xmas card you get from Arizona is  worth it all

Wouldn't Tanev on 4 X 4 look good right now. He is exactly what we need. LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, whcanuck said:

I know OEL hasn’t been great the past few years. JB is banking on a return to form, it’s a risk. But how can you possibly win the Stanley Cup without taking any risks? Would you rather never swing the bat & draw the safe walk every time, or would you rather swing for the fences? You might strike out, but you might hit a 400 ft grand slam

I don't get where people get this idea from?  

7 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

You left the best part out about OEL he's a negative player for his entire career .... his entire career. Plus the guy behind him is Hughes another proverbial negative player. You think the D looked like a fire drill last season  ...... you ain't seen nothing yet. All these years fans have gone on and on ad nausea about Ericksson and his .....   l  o  n  g  expensive contract and poof like a cloud of smoke they forget it and waht do we do sign Ericksson Mk2. The future will be all about, why did we sign this guy and for such a long long term??? Remember this day Alf. OEL going to be still screwing up the Vcr salary Cap long after you and I have moved along LOL

So you planning on dying in 6 years? Alf gonna be gone 2?sad!

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Wouldn't Tanev on 4 X 4 look good right now. He is exactly what we need. LOL.

I agree, funny thing is the majority of CDC thought differently. Injury prone... lol 2 years now . the van Bubble playoff year and his first in Calgary. He ne

ver should have left.

Just now, Dannydog said:

I agree, funny thing is the majority of CDC thought differently. Injury prone... lol 2 years now . the van Bubble playoff year and his first in Calgary. He ne

ver should have left.

Cap space. We have paid for Jim's mismanagement. 

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 2

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't get where people get this idea from?  

Yeah I actually looked at his numbers and they’re not bad. I hear he & Tocchet didn’t see eye-to-eye, that didn’t help I’m sure.

Edited by whcanuck
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Show me game tape, not analytics crap. Those charts aren't worth the bandwidth they use.  I'm not a fan of OEL, but this is not how actual hockey people should be evaluating players.  Never go Full Toronto.

I was reading some comments from Arizona fans about this trade, and their biggest issue with OEL was his effort. they said that they feel he will play better for us because new team, better teammates and coaches etc. Apparently he didn't see eye to eye with Tocchet.

I think he bounces back next year. B)

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1