The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

30 minutes ago, canuckfromlangley said:

Yes. 

No.

Try telling your core players that you're going to dump your unaffordables at the deadline every year. They'll hate your guts for being a coward. 

Edited by Jack Fig
  • Vintage 1

Garland is a stud who produced on a bad team.  Excited for him to get to play with the talent we have here.

OEL is a ‘we’ll see” for me.  I can’t imagine wanting to give it your all playing in a spot that has run its course.  Odd he signed that long deal but looking forward he will no doubt be better simply by being somewhere he is wanted and excited to be.  

• Cheers 2

Just now, Dave K said:

Garland is a stud who produced on a bad team.  Excited for him to get to play with the talent we have here.

OEL is a ‘we’ll see” for me.  I can’t imagine wanting to give it your all playing in a spot that has run its course.  Odd he signed that long deal but looking forward he will no doubt be better simply by being somewhere he is wanted and excited to be.  

Hard to pass up on 8.25m long term when offered to you with full NMC protection. Did the Canucks honour his NMC so he has it for the entire contract, or does it switch to a NTC near the end??

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dave K said:

Except he's still producing 40+ point seasons and still playing every shift against the other teams top players.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Hard to pass up on 8.25m long term when offered to you with full NMC protection. Did the Canucks honour his NMC so he has it for the entire contract, or does it switch to a NTC near the end??

Good point on the NMC and passing it up.  I’m not sure on how it works in the future. 

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Cant believe how badly ppl are underestimating OEL here.  If you had watched him play youd realize this guy is a legit #1 dman and an absolute gamer.  Hes going to give us about 4 or so excellent seasons and by the time he starts slowing down hopefully we have developed a few good dmen to make up for it.  

More than likely, his impact and influence on the younger dmen should be another plus to this acquisition. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

18 hours ago, oldnews said:

what $&!#?

Not sure what take you're assuming/expecting.

I love Jay Beagle - but moving both LE, and Roussel is massive cap at a time it's extremely expensive to move.  Almost shocking that Zona took that much back, while giving up both Garland and OEL.  This team can still go get a faceoff guy/penalty killer - placeholder, whatever - and has more flexibility to do so now imo.

I was in favour of dealing the 9th overall for a guy like Cal Foote - but the amount that Benning accomplished in one fell swoop is surprising, and the package aspect of it would appear to have made the price far more palatable. 

Garland alone would have cost us more than the additional picks imo (2nd and 7th).

I personally think that OEL is one helluva player - and like the deals for people like Shea Weber that folks went apeshat over when Montreal took that on - the term is likely misleading in the end - and doesn't put us on the hook for anything if/when he retires.

I'm ok with losing my Jay Beagle under the circumstances - and I'm certain most people here will look at this as 12 million worth of cap dump going the other way..so....

Wasn’t arguing thought that was something you and provost would agree with. 

I also was pretty drunk so forgive my vagueness. 

• Cheers 1

I have been digesting this trade since it happened, and like most JB moves it is a mixed bag. We are better, you can't deny that and the effects this will have on our young players development. But I simply cannot ignore that this only had to happen because JB handed out stupid contracts. And the fact that OEL's NMC came with him is unacceptable to me.

OEL basically has to give us 4 excellent top pairing years for this to be okay. I'm not worried about Garland, very high on him.

• Vintage 1

Just now, FlyLow_ said:

I have been digesting this trade since it happened, and like most JB moves it is a mixed bag. We are better, you can't deny that and the effects this will have on our young players development. But I simply cannot ignore that this only had to happen because JB handed out stupid contracts. And the fact that OEL's NMC came with him is unacceptable to me.

OEL basically has to give us 4 excellent top pairing years for this to be okay. I'm not worried about Garland, very high on him.

Aside from LE (though that was market price for a 30 goal guy) the other two were fine.  Rous got hurt, but Beags earned his money.  They weren't albatross contracts, it's just that JB wants to start moving up now, not in two years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

19 minutes ago, Dave K said:

Good point on the NMC and passing it up.  I’m not sure on how it works in the future. 

It automatically travels with the player.  Was changed last summer when they renewed the CBA.

He has a full NMC on all remaining years of his contract per CapFriendly.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 3
  • Wat 1

I've been critical of JB as well as supporting moves he's made. I have no problem with this one. We no longer have to talk about the three duds that got shipped out. Done!

Also the finger prints of the owner are on this too, it's his loot.

I really like this move.

So to the fans that keep on bitching and moaning about the Canucks missing this and that move I'd like to point out that both Edmonton and Calgary need fans and support with the flimsy management teams they sport.

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

Aside from LE (though that was market price for a 30 goal guy) the other two were fine.  Rous got hurt, but Beags earned his money.  They weren't albatross contracts, it's just that JB wants to start moving up now, not in two years.

No they weren't. 3 mill for 4th liners is awful. So is 6 mill for Myers, so was Sutter's contract. He's great at drafting, he's had a few good trades. But he is absolutely useless at signing ufa's.

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

JB was trying to toughen up our team and at least make us semi competitive at the time until more contracts came off the books but you nailed it, the only albatross contract is gone as off yesterday, LE is gone!! woooo!  hell yeah? HELL YEAH!! my eyes could hardly believe it when I read it but that lazy fu_k is out of here! :)

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, FlyLow_ said:

No they weren't. 3 mill for 4th liners is awful. So is 6 mill for Myers, so was Sutter's contract. He's great at drafting, he's had a few good trades. But he is absolutely useless at signing ufa's.

Beagle was more than worth that $ and he earned it when he was in Van.  Believe it or not, defensive fwds are just as important as offensive fwds.

Roussel, though I'm not a fan, was a tweener 2/3 liner before his injury, that was fair value.

Ultimately they were just place holders anyway, their contracts didn't hinder anything so I'm not sure what there is to complain about them.  

This was always the timeline

• Upvote 2
  • RoughGame 1