The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

10 minutes ago, Jacereid93 said:

Is it safe to say that if the Canucks miss the playoffs this year there is a management change?

Most likely, however if the team loses too much time to injury, J.B. will likely stay.

9 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Well Sportsnet interviewed someone from the Coyotes media and the Coyotes organization felt OEL's play had been on a sharp decline and they wanted to get rid of the contract. 

Seems like some warning signs to me 

It was a reporter from there.....def an expert, just like the media here are experts. Please! 

Edited by IRR
  • Cheers 2

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

can they afford him?

Why not? With Ferland's LTIR, we have over 22 million to work with right now

We still have to sign Petey, Quinn, Garland and Dickenson though. If worse comes to worse and we can't move Jake and Holtby, then we sign lower cost Ufas to fill out the roster.

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Being that they are now all in we need to see some buyouts to clear up a little more cap. The lack of grit and defensive players still needs to be solved.

Define grit. What do you perceive as grit?

• Wat 1

4 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Problem with your post is that everything is always bad.

Here is my response to all that keep saying build through the draft blah blah....

Draft has brought us: Horvat, Petey, Hughes, Hogs, Podz, Mac, Lockwood, OJ, Bonner, Demko and... How many more players must we draft before we can take on others through trades to try to make the playoffs. Why must we always draft and draft.

For example; Posters have been saying how bad our D is for years. So, one poster stated that we need to trade Schmidt for a 3rd and re-sign Edler and Hamonix. Keeping the same.

Last year they wanted us to keep the same by not letting Tanev and Markstrom walk

Every time we progress people howl. Benning does anything this board blows up. How dare he trade Shinaruk OMG!

We got better with the trade and I like watching Playoff hockey not the draft. Trading a few draft picks that gets us there is not the end of the hockey world. 

What if OEL turns into Eriksson, we will cross that bridge when we get there. However, what if you get Covid tomorrow, then it may or may not matter what happens to his contract. Point is a determined GM can get all sorts of things accomplished. 

problem with my post is everything is always bad?? lol wtf are u even talking about? everything is bad? i said i have no issue with the trade? i have issue with him telling us season ticket holders one thing and then changing it again and again? like when did i even talk about the draft or draft pick in the post? others have been saying our rebuild just started couple years ago. all i said is i can't stand benning flip flopping between rebuild retool tossing in all prospect to compete then go back to saying we are still couple years away and then next thing you know toss everything in again. pretty sure i've never even said anything ever about build through the draft as i'm never a big fan of his drafting outside of the 1st rounders as i think it's not great considering we are like bottom 5 in terms of worse records in the league since benning took over.

12 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Being that they are now all in we need to see some buyouts to clear up a little more cap. The lack of grit and defensive players still needs to be solved.

Coward. You can't even answer a simple question.

Just now, RWMc1 said:

Coward. You can't even answer a simple question.

I have no intention on getting into a stupid conversation about how a 165lb player plays with so much grit. LOL

Did you watch the playoffs over the last few years and see what kind of defense is needed. Open your eyes.

19 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I don't get this trade. Benning said during the middle of last season the team was 2 years away from competing.

It's pretty simple. When he said that, we WERE 2 years away because he didn't have the cap space available until then. 

Now, with the cap relieved a year earlier than expected, he he's trying to build a contender this season.

Fact is, by the time the season starts, this is THE team. He might squeeze another piece in to bolster the team if we are truly contenders (like many teams do), but this IS the team that's expected to vie for a cup by the time the season starts. He's basically done once he signs a 4th liner (Sutter?) and one more defenseman. Possibly small depth moves top.

...and now starts the climax of the make or break Benning show.

Edited by kloubek
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

I have no intention on getting into a stupid conversation about how a 165lb player plays with so much grit. LOL

Did you watch the playoffs over the last few years and see what kind of defense is needed. Open your eyes.

Too bad he’s not a d

1 hour ago, Wanless said:

So are saying that Benning should have traded tanev and markstrom at the deadline in 2020 because he knew he wasn't going to be able to afford them?

Also so many dingbats on here forgetting Edler had a NTC and said he wasn't waiving it- as was his right. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, appleboy said:

You didn't say lack of grit in defensive players. You said lack of grit and defensive players.

We have players that can play a heavy game along the boards and who battle hard for pucks. I think that several of our players play with "grit".

You also used just one player as an example. That reeks of preconceived bias.

Edited by RWMc1

27 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Doubt they'll set them up this way, but I hope this is the Top 9 to start the season

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Garland

Pearson - Dickinson - Podkolzin

I would like to see Hoglander on the 3rd.  Pears has chemistry with Bo.

Dick is not offensively gifted, so having Hogs on the 3rd will support Podz efforts.  Podz is a great playmaker, so Hogs will continue to show his offensive abilities.

5 minutes ago, kloubek said:

It's pretty simple. When he said that, we WERE 2 years away because he didn't have the cap space available until then. 

Now, with the cap relieved a year earlier than expected, he he's trying to build a contender this season.

Well Benning should have said that done. If that is what he really thinks then fair enough. 

But his official reason seems to be quite different 

17 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Why not? With Ferland's LTIR, we have over 22 million to work with right now

We still have to sign Petey, Quinn, Garland and Dickenson though. If worse comes to worse and we can't move Jake and Holtby, then we sign lower cost Ufas to fill out the roster.

I have a sneaking suspicion Virtanen could be back in a bottom 6 role for us next year if we can't find a trade for him.  

Pearson-3C UFA-Podkolzin

Motte-Dickinson-Virtanen

We would have a ton of options with that lineup.  

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

I would like to see Hoglander on the 3rd.  Pears has chemistry with Bo.

Dick is not offensively gifted, so having Hogs on the 3rd will support Podz efforts.  Podz is a great playmaker, so Hogs will continue to show his offensive abilities.

Dick Hog 

Great chemistry on the 3rd line. 

:bigblush:

• Haha 1