The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

To be fair he did mention, he's glad for a new start and to be happy playing again. Playing in the desert when your team is a revolving door of talent might have a deep effect on your morale. 

He said all the right things in my book. Knows he can be better. Change of scenery can do wonders 

• Cheers 3

Just now, appleboy said:

He also said he is trying to improve his conditioning. The Sedins conditioning has been elite since their mid twenties. That is how they played until 35. 

Trying to improve your conditioning at 30 is a bit late.

Edler played his best hockey from 2014-2020. There’s precedent here if he can adjust his game and have a second prime. It’s unlikely but a definite possibility.

I am going to reserve most of my judgement on how he performs on this team until game 82. 

I do think there’s basically no level he can perform at where people wouldn’t call him a top four D as we’ve seen with Myers. 

Just now, Tom Sestito said:

Edler played his best hockey from 2014-2020. There’s precedent here if he can adjust his game and have a second prime. It’s unlikely but a definite possibility.

I am going to reserve most of my judgement on how he performs on this team until game 82. 

I do think there’s basically no level he can perform at where people wouldn’t call him a top four D as we’ve seen with Myers. 

We will all keep our fingers crossed. 

I think Hughes is going to want to get paid. If this guy is getting 8.25 then Hughes is worth 9 mil.

• Wat 5

7 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

Yeah, I don’t doubt some level of improvement because of the coaching change but there have been some insane denials of how bad OEL has been for the last few years.

They need him to perform like an elite top four D. If they do, and his contract becomes only a slight overpayment, the trade becomes a win.

If he performs near the level he has under Tocchet, we are &^@#ed.

Only we aren't. The deal is very buyout friendly (especially when you factor in a rising cap) and unlike some of the guys they moved, he can still play the game and fill a role even if he is no longer a top pairing D-man.

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

We will all keep our fingers crossed. 

I think Hughes is going to want to get paid. If this guy is getting 8.25 then Hughes is worth 9 mil.

We can’t be going relative to a bad contract.

Hughes isn’t at the level of Heiskanen and Makar because of his defensive play compared to those guys. Hughes should slot in far lower. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

Why not? With Ferland's LTIR, we have over 22 million to work with right now

We still have to sign Petey, Quinn, Garland and Dickenson though. If worse comes to worse and we can't move Jake and Holtby, then we sign lower cost Ufas to fill out the roster.

Speaking of cap space..

Kind of a question from left field here - we know you can trade an LTIR contract but I can’t find anything on trading a recapture penalty. I’m sure the answer is no but does anyone know if there is a specific rule barring it? @mll?

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

Speaking of cap space..

Kind of a question from left field here - we know you can trade an LTIR contract but I can’t find anything on trading a recapture penalty. I’m sure the answer is no but does anyone know if there is a specific rule barring it? @mll?

No, we're stuck with it for one more season.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

Feels like people weren’t happy when I said OEL hasn’t been good for five years - he himself said he’s struggled for the last four years. 

I guess when his standard for himself had become 20+ goals, those two 14 goal seasons, the 12 goal season and the 9 goal season are seen as pretty poor. He was on pace for 40+ points in each of the last 5 seasons. Including like I said multiple 10+ goal seasons. Was he great? No. Was he bad? Not really, could argue last year he was pretty bad. But I think most of his struggles came from not connecting with the coach and being on a team that never seemed to improve.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Haha.. then this 'media person' is obviously clueless.   

OEL is one of best skaters in the league 

I don't want to sound like a negative nancy but what better to get a good read of a player from a specific team than with from people who report on that market? 

These are warning signs that should be taken into consideration

Here is the interview :

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/vancouver-canucks-radio/craig-morgan-ekman-larsson-left-garland-electric-ice/

And to be fair he had nothing but great things to say about Garland

15 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Yeah and that coincides exactly with when Tocchet took over as head coach in Arizona. OEL and Tocchet really didn't get along to the point of taking veiled shots at each other in the media, which is exactly how I read this comment. This is why I think he is a prime candidate to have a strong bounce back season with a change of scenery.

Hoping the players click with Green ?

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I guess when his standard for himself had become 20+ goals, those two 14 goal seasons, the 12 goal season and the 9 goal season are seen as pretty poor. He was on pace for 40+ points in each of the last 5 seasons. Including like I said multiple 10+ goal seasons. Was he great? No. Was he bad? Not really, could argue last year he was pretty bad. But I think most of his struggles came from not connecting with the coach and being on a team that never seemed to improve.

Points aren’t what I judge a defenseman by. 

9 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I don't want to sound like a negative nancy but what better to get a good read of a player from a specific team than with from people who report on that market? 

Here is the interview :

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/vancouver-canucks-radio/craig-morgan-ekman-larsson-left-garland-electric-ice/

Yeah, I heard this whole thing live when the trade was about to be announced - the redflags are quite concerning given the contract but if the Twins has vouched for him, then maybe they will help mitigate any issue(s) (?) that was mentioned by the local reporter.

How this turns out will now be associated with the twins.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Here is the interview :

If 4 years of 40+ point seasons is a decline then JB pulled off a huge steal.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Could you imagine if Dubas pulled off a trade like this, unloading all of those bad contracts and bringing in a legit top pairing Dman and top 6 winger? It would be forever known as Dubas Day in Toronto, he'd be a hero.  It kind of sucks to lose the 1st and 2nd, but picks get traded all the time by all teams. VAN is better, that's all that matters. 

TSN would be bringing in scientists to discuss how brilliant Dubas is and asking if he should be considered for the office of PM.

• Haha 2