The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Four years ago is when Tocchet took over from Tippett.

Read between the lines and you’ll see it was a coaching issue.

He’s not too different from Tortorella in terms of how he handles his players. I could see them clashing pretty good. There’s a reason why Tocchets out of a job too.

Hated him when played, hated him as a coach.

• Haha 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

Four years ago is when Tocchet took over from Tippett.

Read between the lines and you’ll see it was a coaching issue.

He’s not too different from Tortorella in terms of how he handles his players. I could see them clashing pretty good. There’s a reason why Tocchets out of a job too.

I’m not disputing any of that.

My point is it wasn’t a guarantee that Edler had a renaissance post-torts and turned into this fantastic defensive player rather than the primarily offense guy he was before. 

Now with OEL, you’re banking on that Edler-like renaissance and you basically need it to happen because of the contract that is attached to it. 

14 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

We can’t be going relative to a bad contract.

Hughes isn’t at the level of Heiskanen and Makar because of his defensive play compared to those guys. Hughes should slot in far lower. 

TBH, I think "far lower" is wishful thinking.

Makar just got 9 million AAV from the Avs.....I'd expect Quinn's number to be around 7.5 - 8, unless (as reported) JB can convince him to take a bridge deal, in the 5 or 6 range....

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

TBH, I think "far lower" is wishful thinking.

Makar just got 9 million AAV from the Avs.....I'd expect Quinn's number to be around 7.5 - 8, unless (as reported) JB can convince him to take a bridge deal, in the 5 or 6 range....

I would bet you they go to a 2-3 year deal in the 6 range. That’s what I would pay him, at least. If you pay him more, you’d be banking on some hope that he improves defensively to be passable. He isn’t there yet. I wouldn’t want to risk that bet.

I would do 8 years on Pettersson if we had the capspace.

Edited by Tom Sestito
  • Cheers 1

It's a good deal on paper. Benning damned if he do, damned if he don't. I was obviously critical of him letting Toffoli walk for nothing - but now he's unloaded three guys who unfortunately weren't doing much for us and eating a ton of cap for two guys who should be able to contribute for many years to come. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, I heard this whole thing live when the trade was about to be announced - the redflags are quite concerning given the contract but if the Twins has vouched for him, then maybe they will help mitigate any issue(s) (?) that was mentioned by the local reporter.

How this turns out will now be associated with the twins.

Yeah and to be honest the Twins vouching for OEL, if true, doesn't reassure me. How involved were the Twins when with Eriksson ?

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

My point is it wasn’t a guarantee that Edler had a renaissance post-torts and turned into this fantastic defensive player rather than the primarily offense guy he was before. 

Now with OEL, you’re banking on that Edler-like renaissance and you basically need it to happen because of the contract that is attached to it. 

“No way to create great gains without taking great chances”

- Bob Iger, ex-CEO of Walt Disney

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Hated him when played, hated him as a coach.

I mean to me I think it’s obvious he’s calling out the coach without actually calling him out.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence he said 4 years.

• Vintage 3

8 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

Think pretty much the only player who excelled under Torts was Tanev but that's more on just how good defensively Tin Man was