The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Right now the lack of news about Hamonic is a puzzling to me as was the lack of an attempt to retain Fantenberg last season.

Both players did exactly what we wanted from them and did so at a team friendly price. Unless TH's camp is holding out for some sort of raise, based on what he did for Hughes last season, it makes no sense to me that we haven't heard anything about retaining him.

I know JB has been working on the OEL thing for weeks, but c'mon man....multi-task....

With all the goings on in Edm/Cgy it wouldn't surprise me if Hamonic's camp is content to wait it out until the 28th and see if one of those GM's is going to move a piece and/or ante up.

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

Throwing some shade at his former franchise/coach.  At least he's honest.

Really seems like Tocchet was not well liked which is probably why he and the team "mutually agreed to part ways"

Plus add in the reports from last off season about the Coyotes front office being a "toxic work environment". I'm betting there are more players that wish they were included in this trade.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Petey Miller Boes

Pearson Bo Garland

Hogs Dickinson Podz

Gadj Highmore Motte

Imagine the depth if Ferk could get healthy?  I know,  unlikely - but it was unlikely we unloaded Loui,  right?

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Is Hughes so inadequate that he needs the perfect player to make his game better?   

I dont think i remember a player in recent memory be this high maintenance.

Hamonic was perfect alongside Hughes this past season.  Its going to be near impossible to find a dman that covers up for Hughes deficiencies as well as Hamonic did.

You still need a defenseman you can jive with to be the version of yourself (or the best chance for the team to win). Back in 2019 - 2020 that was Tanev. Hughes doesn't need a Jones or Eckblad to play along side him just a responsible good D-man (someone who Benning still has to get). You mention Hamonic, but he's going to test the open market as well. 

Edited by iinatcc

10 minutes ago, alucard said:

We are rebuilding for 7 years dude, Life is not that long so you know.

He says we are two year away from contending, then pulls this trade.

He changes lanes and does not stick to the plan.

There is a reason LInden left.

All I am saying you are giving him too much credit, credit he has not earned.

Again if no progress next season I would fire him, also what is the average lifespan of a NHL GM in a team????

Why was it Bennings fault that he left? What if there were 2 plans and the wanted to go with getting into the playoffs and that was Linden's plan and when it failed he bowed out.

What if.... in business there are a thousand things that can sour a relationship but you choose the it is Benning's fault because it suits you. 

There were clearly 2 plan as you have stated. One was to make the playoffs with the Sedins and when that failed. Linden quit and the Sedins' retired. There have not be many plans. Even with the contracts of Beagle and co coming off the books next year. If the cap was going up, Petey and Hughes get up'd this year with plenty of space add a piece and next year go for gold. It shows a plan. No wishy washy. He tried different players and traded some 2nds looking at players who might still have potential because as a rebuilding team you can give those kinda long shots a chance. A second making it to the league is a long shot so a player around Horvat's age that suddenly excels is gold. If not well you tried. No big deal. It is business. You take risks. However, this fan base is so enamored with shiny picks and status quo they go ballistic if anything changes. Even Shannon - Hockey guy - I had a great draft planned now JB ruined it by making the team better Boo Hoo. 132 pages of people crying about what if OEL becomes the next Eriksson.

He says we are 2 years away from contending then pulls this trade, really? Building a strong team this year then evaluating its needs and tweaking it next year would put us 2 years away. What are you talking about? Also, maybe dumb fans and media that fly banners and constantly make crap up can have the effect of causing plans to be pushed ahead before they are ready. It is call consequences of ones actions.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Petey Miller Boes

Pearson Bo Garland

Hogs Dickinson Podz

Gadj Highmore Motte

OEL Schmidt

Hughes Hamonic

OJ Myers

Rathbone, Breezer

Even if that's the lineup they go into the season with, it's pretty solid top to bottkm

I'm hoping we trade Schmidt for a +/- $3.5m 3C and sign Hamonic and Hakanpaa.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Garland

Hoglander, trade, Podkolzin

Highmore, Dickenson, Motte

OEL, Myers/Hakanpaa

Hughes, Hamonic

Juolevi/Rathbone, Myers/Hakanpaa

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Top 2 lines are too soft and small.   I wont be surprised to see Podz in top 6 even next yr.

They will be bigger, and younger  than the team that played Vegas couple of years back.

Though Garland will skew the numbers down.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm hoping we trade Schmidt for a +/- $3.5m 3C and sign Hamonic and Hakanpaa.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Garland

Hoglander, trade, Podkolzin

Highmore, Dickenson, Motte

OEL, Myers/Hakanpaa

Hughes, Hamonic

Juolevi/Rathbone, Myers/Hakanpaa

I'd have mo issue moving Schmidt, but they need to have assurances in place beforehand.  They can't risk losing that kind of player form the lineup

Just now, stawns said:

I'd have mo issue moving Schmidt, but they need to have assurances in place beforehand.  They can't risk losing that kind of player form the lineup

Yeah I don't expect that trade to happen until after free agency. That's not what I'm suggesting.

One, we need some teams to miss out on Hamilton etc first.

Two, we need deals agreed to for guys like Hamonic and Hakanpaa.

Then you move Schmidt for the 3C, clear a couple mil and we're on our way 

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

If you missed Ekman-Larsson’s media availability from earlier today, here it is:

I love this guy!  He’s so happy to come to our team.  Those are the guys we want.  He’s going to be fantastic!