The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

1 minute ago, Phat Fingers said:

The contracts were very consequential, devastating IMO to this teams changes this year.  

let’s say we repeat last years finish in the playoffs with a decent jump in our division this upcoming season, which is not unlikely.

then I would call this deal a win.  Same as I view the Miller deal.

Garland is now were Guenter is in a few years.  So what is the immediate loss to the club?  

the salary makes the Quinn and Petey deal easy with JV’s contract being wiped and buying out Holtby.  

Mikey is ready, or get a less the 4.7 m cap hit goalie to back up Demko for now.  

Next year, JB keeps the pick, and we draft at 23, isn’t that were Boeser was picked?  

not worried about JB’s ability to draft. But this is a Miller, JT Miller type deal and he did a good job IMO.  

Perspective is the fly in the ointment. I see OEL as a failed player who is not playing like he has in his past. A negative player and his salary is much like Erickssons a boat anchor in the future. Every one swooned over Ericksson if you recall and within 2 years the refrain was how and when can we geeet rid of this guy. I see a similar story line for OEL.... perspective

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Perspective is the fly in the ointment. I see OEL as a failed player who is not playing like he has in his past. A negative player and his salary is much like Erickssons a boat anchor in the future. Every one swooned over Ericksson if you recall and within 2 years the refrain was how and when can we geeet rid of this guy. I see a similar story line for OEL.... perspective

I think by the end of this season the fans will want Jim's head.  If he isn't healthy or quite as mobile then it might not even take the season. 

6 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Everyone swooned over Eriksson? Some people liked the signing, but a sizeable portion of the fan base was not impressed with it at all, myself included. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Everyone swooned over Eriksson? Some people liked the signing, but a sizeable portion of the fan base was not impressed with it at all, myself included. 

Yeah, I remember the day and I was trying to be optimistic about the deal - have the same feeling about this deal and based on the rumour the twins had a lot to do about this one as well (?).

Twins hired to be a scapegoat when this doesn’t work out ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Fred, 

seeing OEL as a failed player, well your entitled to your perspective.  

I disagree unless you can bring in comparison at 7 million on today’s market for a smooth skating d man that plays 23 minute s a night and was a tea, captain.  

whether the failings were solely at the foot of him, vs his entire team, coaching and the players feet together, then see if there could be a better fit here.  

another thing.  OEL wants to be here.  Maybe that could be indicative of his motivation and positive mindsets to contribute to players abilities.  

so is OEL a irredeemable player at 30 with no chance of turning or stabilizing his scoring and seeing a drop in his plus minus, a stat you over deepened on and mis interpret when using it as a stand alone metric of reference when criticizing defence.  

a lot of other more deeper looks should be considered prior to calling a player a failure. 

Also, OEL makes the loss of Edler gone… vanished and no FA frenzy for the craven dollar only.  

it could go either way.  

good luck.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If the team falters and fails to make the postseason, Benning will be gone. 

It seems to me that his directive has been to get the Canucks back to playoffs ASAP. 

Yeah, Aquaman seems to be trying to flex his $ muscle ?  I wonder what GMs’ like Yzerman & Sakic are saying about this deal ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

21 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Losing Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel are not "holes" that you're going to have trouble filling... those three would combine for like 82 games this upcoming season... you're also assuming the JB would be the GM at that time. 

Back on "Ignore" for you.

What a bunch of nonsense posts.

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If the team falters and fails to make the postseason, Benning will be gone. 

It seems to me that his directive has been to get the Canucks back to playoffs ASAP. 

Jim said two years to get back and the owners said now or you are out. This deal is all on the owners and it will not end well. 

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

More comments about how J.B. said he would turn around the team fast?

Then same poster(s) fail to mention the team made the play offs in J.B.'s first year?

Colour me shocked.

7 years ago the fan base wanted and were ready for a rebuild. Where would we be right now if they had of done that?

10 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I think by the end of this season the fans will want Jim's head.  If he isn't healthy or quite as mobile then it might not even take the season. 

I agree, but there is a catch. Aquaman who makes the decission has approved ( some might say instigated ) many of the moves. He seems Hell bent on making the play-offs as the goal. NOT winning the SC IMO. JB has had a long leash ... a real long leash

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, appleboy said:

7 years ago the fan base wanted and were ready for a rebuild. Where would we be right now if they had of done that?

Likely further ahead, however that is not what the owner wanted.

Still J.B. said he'd turn the team around fast and  they did.

He did not say it would last, and he did not promise 4 cups in 3 seasons, unfortunately that seems to be what a lot of posters heard.

9 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Fred, 

seeing OEL as a failed player, well your entitled to your perspective.  

I disagree unless you can bring in comparison at 7 million on today’s market for a smooth skating d man that plays 23 minute s a night and was a tea, captain.  

whether the failings were solely at the foot of him, vs his entire team, coaching and the players feet together, then see if there could be a better fit here.  

another thing.  OEL wants to be here.  Maybe that could be indicative of his motivation and positive mindsets to contribute to players abilities.  

so is OEL a irredeemable player at 30 with no chance of turning or stabilizing his scoring and seeing a drop in his plus minus, a stat you over deepened on and mis interpret when using it as a stand alone metric of reference when criticizing defence.  

a lot of other more deeper looks should be considered prior to calling a player a failure. 

Also, OEL makes the loss of Edler gone… vanished and no FA frenzy for the craven dollar only.  

it could go either way.  

good luck.  

Many conflate the salary with the players value. I prefer to judge & value myself rather than listen to the drum beats. It serves no purpose to chnage horses after the failure. I didn't like Virtanen, Ericksson and frankly have serious reservations about Juolevi. In all those cases I hoped for a better result and maybee OEL is OK for a while but bad habits are tough to break IMO

• RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I agree, but there is a catch. Aquaman who makes the decission has approved ( some might say instigated ) many of the moves. He seems Hell bent on making the play-offs as the goal. NOT winning the SC IMO. JB has had a long leash ... a real long leash

What I find real interesting right now is that Jim hasn't been able to move Schmidt. There is a huge shortage of top four D in the league. Why is he still here?

Just now, appleboy said:

What I find real interesting right now is that Jim hasn't been able to move Schmidt. There is a huge shortage of top four D in the league. Why is he still here?

I don't think he wants to, he was a JB man and plays the right side. RHD are like hens back teeth not many around

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Likely further ahead, however that is not what the owner wanted.

Still J.B. said he'd turn the team around fast and  they did.

He did not say it would last, and he did not promise 4 cups in 3 seasons, unfortunately that seems to be what a lot of posters heard.

Hopefully this works and we are at least competitive for a couple of years.  Then we will see if Bo and Miller want to reup. We will see next year the cost of Boeser and if they are prepared for his cap hit. Can they sign Hughes and Petey for reasonable hits.

Two years from now we will see if he can't resign Bo and Miller will he have the balls to flip them and find a way to keep the ball rolling. So far he just lets our talent walk.

1 hour ago, FaninMex said:

Why was it Bennings fault that he left? What if there were 2 plans and the wanted to go with getting into the playoffs and that was Linden's plan and when it failed he bowed out.

What if.... in business there are a thousand things that can sour a relationship but you choose the it is Benning's fault because it suits you. 

There were clearly 2 plan as you have stated. One was to make the playoffs with the Sedins and when that failed. Linden quit and the Sedins' retired. There have not be many plans. Even with the contracts of Beagle and co coming off the books next year. If the cap was going up, Petey and Hughes get up'd this year with plenty of space add a piece and next year go for gold. It shows a plan. No wishy washy. He tried different players and traded some 2nds looking at players who might still have potential because as a rebuilding team you can give those kinda long shots a chance. A second making it to the league is a long shot so a player around Horvat's age that suddenly excels is gold. If not well you tried. No big deal. It is business. You take risks. However, this fan base is so enamored with shiny picks and status quo they go ballistic if anything changes. Even Shannon - Hockey guy - I had a great draft planned now JB ruined it by making the team better Boo Hoo. 132 pages of people crying about what if OEL becomes the next Eriksson.

He says we are 2 years away from contending then pulls this trade, really? Building a strong team this year then evaluating its needs and tweaking it next year would put us 2 years away. What are you talking about? Also, maybe dumb fans and media that fly banners and constantly make crap up can have the effect of causing plans to be pushed ahead before they are ready. It is call consequences of ones actions.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rationalize

So Sedins would not retire according to Linden`s plan?????

Benning such a genius? come on man.

Rangers did their rebuild in 3 years,

Also rumor is Linden wanted draft and develop kinda system.

And it is the job of GM to take care of the business, and in time you evaluate those moves GM does,that is why he gets paid, again Benning is not a great GM that you give credit for. He is not the worst GM, true that, but not that great.

5 minutes ago, alucard said:

Rangers did their rebuild in 3 years,

What did they have in the organization, when the decision was made?

Where you start from makes a difference in how fast you get to the finish line.

• Upvote 1