The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

It seams like the Swedish scouts are the only ones who seen anyone.

Maybe that has something to do with the amount of games that were played in Sweden, over the last year and a half, as opposed to elsewhere?

• Vintage 1

It seems like a waste of time trying to reason with certain posters. All you get is repeated buzzwords and catch phrases. The worst though is the media clowns and whiners with he said this but he meant that. Then the actual quote is paraphrased as gospel while ignoring what was actually said. 

eg. "reading between the lines" etc. The he said this but reading between the lines he meant that strawman is then used as fact when it is obviously a whiners personal opinion.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

What did they have in the organization, when the decision was made?

Where you start from makes a difference in how fast you get to the finish line.

Why do we keep needing to post this. Benning liked where he was coming from he visualized  quick success

“I like this team - I like the core players. This is a team we can turn around in a hurry.” - Benning

4 hours ago, FlyLow_ said:

No they weren't. 3 mill for 4th liners is awful. So is 6 mill for Myers, so was Sutter's contract. He's great at drafting, he's had a few good trades. But he is absolutely useless at signing ufa's.

GMs don’t really draft - it was Brackett who Benning fired and has traded away our high picks since 

he has made some good deals for sure but planning for the future is not his bread & butter 

Edited by canucklehead44

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

It seems like a waste of time trying to reason with certain posters. All you get is repeated buzzwords and catch phrases. The worst though is the media clowns and whiners with he said this but he meant that. Then the actual quote is paraphrased as gospel while ignoring what was actually said. 

eg. "reading between the lines" etc. The he said this but reading between the lines he meant that strawman is then used as fact when it is obviously a whiners personal opinion.

Here's a buzz word "bubble" living in a bubble know mater what somee will say it's to be disregarded

6 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Why do we keep needing to post this. Benning liked where he was coming from he visualized  quick success

And he did turn around the team in a hurry.

They made the play offs in his first year, you wanted it quicker than that?

Just now, canucklehead44 said:

GMs don’t really draft - it was Brackett who Benning fired and has traded away our high picks since 

Here's the sad part of what you state. If indeed JB is fired will Aquaman conceed he fired the wrong guy.  :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

Is that a fact?  Doubt it.

Jim said a few months back that he felt they were two years back.

Then all of the sudden they were going to be aggressive and be back into the playoffs this year.

Just now, gurn said:

And he did turn around the team in a hurry.

They made the play offs in his first year, you wanted it quicker than that?

True, but it wasn't JB team at that juncture was it. His team was the one that followed

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

He said that he and Linden had a similar vision of what a Stanley Cup contending team looks like. He also said it would take some time to get there. He said that before the quote all the whiners like to hang their hats on.

That quote is in response to a leading question from a media clown. Once again. what did you expect him to say? The media clowns and whiners always act like their quotes exist in a vacuum. Most of the ones spewed are in response to a leading question from a media clown hoping to find a whining point. Then when they find one the re-spew it endlessly.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

True, but it wasn't JB team at that juncture was it. His team was the one that followed

Every so often I check in on your posts, inevitably I leave asking myself why I bothered.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Many conflate the salary with the players value. I prefer to judge & value myself rather than listen to the drum beats. It serves no purpose to chnage horses after the failure. I didn't like Virtanen, Ericksson and frankly have serious reservations about Juolevi. In all those cases I hoped for a better result and maybee OEL is OK for a while but bad habits are tough to break IMO

Are you referring to your habits or JB’s?  Well at least it wasn’t a boring draft, just not what anyone expected.  

At some point, however, Benning needs to hold on to these high draft picks and restock the prospect pool.  Looking at drafts from 2020 to 2022 we find:

in 2020, traded away 1st. and 2nd. round picks

in 2021, traded away 1st, 3rd. & 4th. round picks

in 2022, has (to date) traded away 2nd. & 3rd. round picks

I'm not necessarily quibbling with the assets received in return, however with a flat salary cap, prospect entry level salaries are pure gold, especially with high priced help such as OEL, Myers, soon-to-be Hughes & Pettersson on the team.  Early round picks historically produce high quality players and the team cannot afford to keep trading them away and hoping for diamonds in the rough in the later rounds. With some of the "deadwood" cleared from the team it's time to reset and accumulate high round picks.

24 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Many conflate the salary with the players value. I prefer to judge & value myself rather than listen to the drum beats. It serves no purpose to chnage horses after the failure. I didn't like Virtanen, Ericksson and frankly have serious reservations about Juolevi. In all those cases I hoped for a better result and maybee OEL is OK for a while but bad habits are tough to break IMO

If you whine about every single move, it's easy to point back and criticize saying that you whined about it when it first happened..

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

23 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Tanev was only 31 and they turned down a 4 year deal for $4 mill

Different players, different skillets, different teams needs- the age correlation between the two is irrelevant. That likely means they thought Tanevs somewhat one dimensional skillet wasn't worth the money he was going to get in free agency...I certainly hope you're not comparing the skillsets and versatility of OEL and Tanev.....OEL much more dynamic player.

Edited by CJ44