Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland


Recommended Posts

Just now, Phat Fingers said:

Solid bet.  IMO it is one more legit top four home grown d man away from being a solid well built team for a good few years.  

yeah it would be great if Woo panned out to be a 5/6 that would really help. I still think Juolevi has a lot more in him, and Rathone looks to be a gem. It all has a to work out so some more depth would be nice for sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Add Podkolzin, Rathbone who just arrived, a better used Juolevi…

 

To me there are only three dead weight problems to take care of and those are:

 

Unloading Virtanen

Unloading Holtby

Luongo’s recapture penalty

 

Were turning the corner and fast on this one.

 

I agree. Playoff floor.

JV is a voided contract ala Richards, Holtby is a buy out at minimum and could still be a tradeable asset.  Demko’s play and Mikey’s progress makes spending 4.7 in cap on a back up OS better spend elsewhere or reduced on the position.  

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Ironic that Kobe is still a legend in LA while Jake is written off regardless of investigation results. 

I know a girl that had a run in with Kobe. Gross stuff. 

 

Not a legend in my mind. 

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not hedging anything. He'll never be more than what he is right now. Nothing special and not worth the baggage. 

That was absolutely hedging

 

I posted this a short while ago ."People are writing him off but he will rebound and fans will cry about why couldn't he do that here."

 

  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not hedging anything. He'll never be more than what he is right now. Nothing special and not worth the baggage. 

Jake Virtanen isn’t making it in life.

He’s where Kassian once was and he will need help soon. 
 

Unfortunately such help is only asked for when tragedy hits.

 

Edited by Me_
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, RWMc1 said:

That was absolutely hedging

 

I posted this a short while ago ."People are writing him off but he will rebound and fans will cry about why couldn't he do that here."

 

what is it I'm hedging? I said under a different coach who is willing to shelter him more he might produce a bit more. Here he won't. How is that a "hedge"? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah it would be great if Woo panned out to be a 5/6 that would really help. I still think Juolevi has a lot more in him, and Rathone looks to be a gem. It all has a to work out so some more depth would be nice for sure. 

Depth, lucky that plays to JB’s proven strength.  This is a burgeoning club with real talent in all key positions save that other D man.  JB passed on a lot of other d men to take OJ.  Injuries have been legit issues, but let’s see if that IQ can flourish of not.  
 

he would fill that hole and that’s a solid group.  
 

Woo and Rathbone are also good candidates.   

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OEL - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic

Schmidt - UFA

Extras: Rathbone + Joulevi

 

I’m happy with that. I don’t think we should just pencil in Rathbone and Joulevi top 6. You know we are going to have injuries so let’s not pretend. Lol


Get a hard nosed RH defensive defencemen.

 

  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I am optimistic about a bounce back season from OEL. 

He just turned 30 and ppl are acting like he's a senior citizen. Moreover OEL wants to come to Van. I don't think a guy capping the bed commands a 2 team trade list unless he is confident he can play better and fulfill his contract. 

If OEL plays like I expect him to play AND we are adding Garland, I don't see how this isnt good news for everyone. 

I'd be stoked if I was a player on the team. JB is showing that he wants to surround his core with better players immediately 

 

And much more optimistic about a bounce back season for the entire team!!

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Slide Schmidt in with ODL and Hughes takes the lighter match ups.  
 

Gives a solid smart good skating pair of vets to handle the speed of today’s game and free up Hughes to do what he does best.  Water bug the heck out of everyone.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

what is it I'm hedging? I said under a different coach who is willing to shelter him more he might produce a bit more. Here he won't. How is that a "hedge"? 

Unless we keep him here, there is no way to confirm or disprove your opinion. Do you see him on our roster next season?

 

If he does well you can say you predicted it but there is no way to prove how he would have done here. That's hedging.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

I’m 100% aware that Chychrun was the first PP guy.

 

But the canucks heavily lean on the first unit to the point of Hughes/EP often sitting out for a full two minutes. His PP time is going to go down from his career averages. 

Well, OEL can join in unit 2 if Petterson or Hughes choose to stay and their 4th forward will need to change anyways if goalie choose to pass up the ice that would cause them to stay for extended PP time and somewhat half of the unit would be fresher and higher chance of scoring than a tired Hughes who playing high minutes.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, RWMc1 said:

Unless we keep him here, there is no way to confirm or disprove your opinion. Do you see him on our roster next season?

 

If he does well you can say you predicted it but there is no way to prove how he would have done here. That's hedging.

of course there is. We can look at his usage and if a coach sheltered him more or less. I don't think you understand what a hedge is. 

 

Green uses him sparingly, he doesn't trust him outside of 5 on 5 and maybe PP2. Maybe another coach gives his 2 or. 3 more minutes and he scores a bit more. Thats the reality of the tool in the box and how its used. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Michael P said:

I can`t for the life of me decide if this trade is a disaster or if Benning is a genius. But if we look at history, i`m guessing the former. And I`ll bet my hairy a## LE scores 50 points

for arizona just to spite us.

Maybe if they are on Arizona s own net

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

of course there is. We can look at his usage and if a coach sheltered him more or less. I don't think you understand what a hedge is. 

 

Green uses him sparingly, he doesn't trust him outside of 5 on 5 and maybe PP2. Maybe another coach gives his 2 or. 3 more minutes and he scores a bit more. Thats the reality of the tool in the box and how its used. 

He was on a 42 point pace the season before with similar usage. So, you're already wrong.

 

hedge your bets

COMMON If you hedge your bets, you are careful not to commit yourself to one thing, so that you do not make a mistake whichever way the situation develops.
 
 
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I am optimistic about a bounce back season from OEL. 

He just turned 30 and ppl are acting like he's a senior citizen. Moreover OEL wants to come to Van. I don't think a guy capping the bed commands a 2 team trade list unless he is confident he can play better and fulfill his contract. 

If OEL plays like I expect him to play AND we are adding Garland, I don't see how this isnt good news for everyone. 

I'd be stoked if I was a player on the team. JB is showing that he wants to surround his core with better players immediately 

 

Hey, we should see improvements in the dollars to point ratio just by adding OEL and losing Edler.  
 

What is our PP going to look like with Hughes on one side of OEL and Petey on the other?  
 

The puck movement is going to be very hard to defend as compared to last year.  
 

he can score, has only scored less than 10 goals 3 times in the last number of years, one 66 game season, 9 goals, and two shortened 48 game seasons with 3 goals.  
 

could he be a player that gets better as the season gets longer.. no one can say, but in the other years when he breaks 70 games his goals go as high as 21 in a full 82 game season.  
 

safe to say, in Vancouver’s line vs Zona’s considering how much he wants to be here, I see good upside in the near term in terms of his production.  
 

Demko can really save a defence, it’s the offensive side of the game that really could swing upwards if OEL can match his normal production in a full healthy season with a guy like Hughes to set up his shot, or Petey.  
 

it will be better than last year… 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

He was on a 42 point pace the season before with similar usage. So, you're already wrong.

 

hedge your bets

COMMON If you hedge your bets, you are careful not to commit yourself to one thing, so that you do not make a mistake whichever way the situation develops.
 
 

okie dokie, real usage is a hedge but "pace" is fair game. Got it. 

 

Not sure what you're actually arguing about here. If a coach also gives him 5 on 5, pp2 12-13 minutes a night I expect exactly what we saw here, not more. But maybe you do somehow. 

 

Maybe go have a look at why he had more points in 2019. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Hey, we should see improvements in the dollars to point ratio just by adding OEL and losing Edler.  
 

What is our PP going to look like with Hughes on one side of OEL and Petey on the other?  
 

The puck movement is going to be very hard to defend as compared to last year.  
 

he can score, has only scored less than 10 goals 3 times in the last number of years, one 66 game season, 9 goals, and two shortened 48 game seasons with 3 goals.  
 

could he be a player that gets better as the season gets longer.. no one can say, but in the other years when he breaks 70 games his goals go as high as 21 in a full 82 game season.  
 

safe to say, in Vancouver’s line vs Zona’s considering how much he wants to be here, I see good upside in the near term in terms of his production.  
 

Demko can really save a defence, it’s the offensive side of the game that really could swing upwards if OEL can match his normal production in a full healthy season with a guy like Hughes to set up his shot, or Petey.  
 

it will be better than last year… 

We keep hearing OEL is a smart player. He has the tools / skillset. 

 

I see him doing well here. 

Last year was a crappy season for our team in a weird covid year. 

The same team lost in game 7 to move on to conference finals the previous year. 

 

I see a massive bounceback season for both the Canucks and OEL. 

 

  • Cheers 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

okie dokie, real usage is a hedge but "pace" is fair game. Got it. 

 

Not sure what you're actually arguing about here. If a coach also gives him 5 on 5, pp2 12-13 minutes a night I expect exactly what we saw here, not more. But maybe you do somehow. 

It should be obvious. You claim that he won't be able to produce here but he might somewhere else. I asked if you see him on our roster next season and you ignored that. I also showed that he has already produced more than last season which you seem to be using as a benchmark.

 

If he is unlikely to be here next season then you can make any prediction you want because it is unverifiable. That's hedging your bet. That's what I was arguing.

 

Real usage: 18 g 18 a.

Edited by RWMc1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, RWMc1 said:

It should be obvious. You claim that he won't be able to produce here but he might somewhere else. I asked if you see him on our roster next season and you ignored that. I also showed that he has already produced more than last season which you seem to be using as a benchmark.

 

If he is unlikely to be here next season then you can make any prediction you want because it is unverifiable. That's hedging your bet. That's what I was arguing.

Why are you arguing?  It’s a hockey forum on draft weekend, we are all mostly half cut, so chill man, this is as close to a sports bar outing that many of us have had in a long time.  It’s only a game until someone ruins it by pointing fingers… I know, I have phat ones.  

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...