The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

My gut reaction is that this is a good deal for us, but there are a LOT of moving pieces, so it's really hard to rely on the gut reaction. We move out TONS of cap, but take on a monster contract with OELs. Garland is also a very good take as well, but he needs a new contract.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, The.Burrowers said:

OEL was a Norris Contender a few years ago..... He could be the stud defenseman we have needed since Jovo.... he could also suck in a few short years.  Time will tell.  At least he wont be sitting on the taxi squad anytime soon.  We could compete for a cup next year if we refine the roster a bit more and add a good free agent.

He's already pretty bad in his own zone and unlikely to improve.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

How does the money situation work out? Assuming we sign Garland, aren't we even more capped out than we were before? 

Better though. And may not be done dealing. Loui is gone!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Spoosh said:

This. I think we got another JT Miller -like trade here and we gave up just about nothing compared to what we got both in the players and the cap relief.

It's short term cap relief disguising long term pain. I would have been fine with one more year of Loui and Roussell.

We've lost the $7ish mil in cap flexibility for the next five years, which is prime in the flat cap era.. Opportunity cost wise, you are banking on OEL in his late thirties outperforming the 9OA pick and whatever Free agents you could have signed with that cap space. 

I don't think this is going to age well. 

Edited by DSVII
  • RoughGame 2

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Jim better have a Schmidt trade.for a first rounder in his pocket!

I for one ain't that high on the 9th overall but we need a first rounder to help replenish the cupboard. 

Schmidt is essentially tradebait at this point. Guaranteed Canucks will get a nice return back.

1 minute ago, -SN- said:

So, I have to say I don't like this.  We've essentially extended an awful contract, except now it's worse. We don't have a first round pick, again, and we're running dry on prospects. For everyone saying Gillis left us with the cupboards empty, Benning is doing the same. 

That is a funny way of spelling Benning is desperate to save his job.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

JB lives and dies by this trade. If we make the playoffs next year, no complaints. If OEL hits 40-50 points, no complaints.

No, I'm not happy with OEL as our go-to guy but look at the cost of Risto - too much. 

Would have preferred giving up less/just cap dump and sign Hamilton but this is pretty decent return all together. JB got rid of our dead weight and added a top-1 defenceman and future top-6 (if not top 3) winger for the next 5 years. 

Of course if OEL is trash or Garland never hits 20 goals, JB's job is done. If OEL slows down in 3 yrs time we have some options later but let's see how he performs the next couple of seasons before judging this trade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1