The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

10 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

So do we move hog to horvats other wing or move him down to the 3rd line with dickey and podz and keep pearson with bo?

Well the lines will probably start the season looking one way and end the season looking another B)

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

You can debate the trade but you have to admit that for better or for worse - it was aggressive!

Like you I was a little iffy about it but now that it’s done I fully support it and hope for the best.

On that, I think we can all agree.     ::D

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I am certainly no Boston fan or a particular fan of Chara however as the commentator states,that's his job.

What I do admire about Chara is that at 44 he is still playing at the elite level 

8 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

You can debate the trade but you have to admit that for better or for worse - it was aggressive!

Like you I was a little iffy about it but now that it’s done I fully support it and hope for the best.

At least we can do away with the lame aggressive quips that the negatives were spewing.

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Time will tell, but why buy him out when you could of probably traded him instead if you don't want him... That's the part that doesn't make sense, instead of a 7th round pick you don't think Virtanen could of been dealt instead... 

Nobody wanted him apparently and that was before the news release on him.  That said, I don't recall the asking price for JV.  My hunch is that JB will find a deal for him but we may not like the return.  It is possible that he plays this season too.  All I know is that he's under investigation........unfortunately JV's history as a partier who brags about how the Canucks need him while he's drinking hard each summer isn't doing him any favours now but at this time he is not found guilty.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I am certainly no Boston fan or a particular fan of Chara however as the commentator states,that's his job.

What I do admire about Chara is that at 44 he is still playing at the elite level 

I watched him play when he was with the Cougers. I remember thinking that that young man is going to be a force some day. I thought he would be in the goon mold though. I didn't think he would be a top tier D-man. And for this long as well. I know he ain't what he used to be but still.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

I watched him play when he was with the Cougers. I remember thinking that that young man is going to be a force some day. I thought he would be in the goon mold though. I didn't think he would be a top tier D-man. And for this long as well. I know he ain't what he used to be but still.

In my mid to late 40's I was competing with and occasionally setting better times than kids half my age that went on to race at world cup level in Downhill MTB racing.

Gotta respect us old dudes.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Nobody wanted him apparently and that was before the news release on him.  That said, I don't recall the asking price for JV.  My hunch is that JB will find a deal for him but we may not like the return.  It is possible that he plays this season too.  All I know is that he's under investigation........unfortunately JV's history as a partier who brags about how the Canucks need him while he's drinking hard each summer isn't doing him any favours now but at this time he is not found guilty.

We won't get a return because he has negative value. He's gonna get bought out this season, plain and simple. He won't play this season with us, guaranteed. Guilty or not, the allegations sealed his fate because he was basically on his last straw with the Canucks.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 4

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

We don't a return because he has negative value. He's gonna get bought out this season, plain and simple. He won't play this season - at least not with us. Guilty or not, Virtanen is not playing with us again. The rape allegations, true or not, sealed his fate because he was basically on his last straw with the Canucks.

I didn't say it's likely....I said it's possible.  The organization is in a tough spot because if the allegations are false, it's not supporting your players.  To be fair, I am guessing the allegations are real but there is a process for these things.

A buyout is very likely but a trade is also possible.  JV playing is also possible though.

10 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Well yeah it depends on the asking price Benning was after for JV at that time, but this time it would of been to just get ride of if him especially if you really want to get ride of him. I have a hard time believing a team wouldn't want to take a chance on an ex first rounder in his mid 20's over a 7th round pick, heck even over Roussel.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, alucard said:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rationalize

So Sedins would not retire according to Linden`s plan?????

Benning such a genius? come on man.

Rangers did their rebuild in 3 years,

Also rumor is Linden wanted draft and develop kinda system.

And it is the job of GM to take care of the business, and in time you evaluate those moves GM does,that is why he gets paid, again Benning is not a great GM that you give credit for. He is not the worst GM, true that, but not that great.

Rangers didn’t even make the playoffs last year. Fired their GM and their coaches. How is their rebuild finished?

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well yeah it depends on the asking price Benning was after for JV at that time, but this time it would of been to just get ride of if him especially if you really want to get ride of him. I have a hard time believing a team wouldn't want to take a chance on an ex first rounder in his mid 20's over a 7th round pick, heck even over Roussel.

Boston seems like a natural fit…he’d make a great Bruin if they could ever unlock his talents.  It would be torture for us if that happened, but good for him. Hard to believe they wouldn’t take a flyer on him for a late round pick but if they want retention it’s cheaper for us to buy him out.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Is OEL at 7,25 better than EP and Quinn AT 7 AND 6 .?

Not sure why some don't hold value with 1st rounds?

JB already stated 9 very good picks before we got the 9th pick

No one was expecting Boeser or EP to make impacts right away, so why make light of this years picks, just because we traded it?

I think the last 2 years we have jumped the gun on trading picks for players who won't be of value in 2+ years and would have had no worse result than last year

I agree we will be a better team, but what is the objective?

I think we lost strength to push us OVER the hump in 2 yrs ,with how things have transpired the last 2 years

Yes this, Jim benning shrinking our window before we're even in our window and competitive. 

Edited by Conscience
  • Wat 7
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

We weren't shopping him last year. That is a false narrative perpetuated by media and CDC. Benning called him out and that was twisted in to he was being shopped. Except Benning went on record saying that they weren't trying to trade him and that he was just sending him a message. Virtanen worked harder in the off season and came in to camp in shape so it seems like he got the message.

I think he was already walking on eggshells when Brock and Petey threw him under the bus before the season even started. They criticized his defensive game and as a result, I saw Jake focusing on the defensive side to the detriment of his offensive game. He started to round out his game and was playing better when the scandal hit.

He's was on the wrong side of the popularity contest fans before the incident came to light. If you go back to the patrick kane thread, you can see how many people defended him; It's bizarre. He was accused of drugging and raping a woman.

Speed size and skill. Some team is going to get a good player who can move up and down the line up.

• Cheers 1