The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

2 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

For those with continuing arguments about his age, he’s only 4 years older than our captain Bo Horvat. 

He’s also 7 years younger than Mark Giordano. 

I know math is tough sometimes and heck, pulling out a calculator isn’t easy when we all have so many poop shooters downloaded, but I thought I would just put this here. 

He was also the captain of a team where the previous captain, of said team, was Shane Doan.

Then there’s Conor freakin Garland. Our “Amazon” version of Johnny Hockey, who is pretty freaking good. Garland is a stud. 

Yes but according to the HERO chart OEL is in a major decline and is a bottom pairing Dman...  :frantic:

Interesting given the fact that he was a 43 point defenceman (over 82 games) last season.  I didn't know bottom pairing Dmen were that proficient in scoring...

Garland is a beauty.  I would not trade him straight up for little Johnny.  He may be small but he plays like Tyler Motte and will definitely show up for the playoffs, unlike little Johnny...

10 hours ago, gurn said:

What did they have in the organization, when the decision was made?

Where you start from makes a difference in how fast you get to the finish line.

Agreed but seven years and those UFA signings.

trading away picks.

He is not the great GM some people give credit to.

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 2

Just now, alucard said:

trading away picks.

you nailed it. Thanks. Canucks sacrificed way to much in this trade - got fleeced. Would have been OK. with giving away the 9oa pick but also adding a 2nd round pick 2022 is a joke. Huge gamble on OEL only a very desperate GM is willing to take.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 4
  • RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

you nailed it. Thanks. Canucks sacrificed way to much in this trade - got fleeced. Would have been OK. with giving away the 9oa pick but also adding a 2nd round pick 2022 is a joke. Huge gamble on OEL only a very desperate GM is willing to take.

The 2nd round for 2022 makes the trade a "fleecing"?

What about these other deals?

NYI/AZ trade for Ladd: AZ gets 2021 second-rounder, a 2022 conditional second-rounder and a 2023 conditional third-rounder.

PHI/AZ trade for Ghost: AZ gets the second- and seventh-round draft picks in 2022 to take the puck-moving player they call “Ghost.”

:picard:

You're so biased, Wolfgang. I know you're never gonna respond to the criticism and just repeat your biased comments.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

average lifespan of a GM is 5 years in NHL, JB has done some good, but lot of mistakes also. he has been here 7 years.

http://www.healthgeomatics.com/hockey-gm-tenure-length/

He never fleeced another GM in trades, pulls very very even trades.

He never signed a UFA that has been a great great success.

Again he is not the worst GM, but he is not that great either.

if he messes up next year he should be accountable.

this amount of loyalty to him I find so hyperbolic.

he has courage and takes risks, I give him that, but with those risks comes accountability.

It is fair to fire him if team does not show progress this upcoming season.

I just hope- if canucks fire him- owners don`t hire a Gillis type and go for someone seasoned with coherent system, draft and develop as we have the core now.

a team is as good as its prospect pool.

I hate trading away too many picks. 

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

12 minutes ago, alucard said:

trading away picks.

No one said he is the 'great GM'. However, Benning revived this prospect pool, which was completely wrecked by Gillis. People say "Well, that was seven years ago". No, the problems last a lot longer than that.

An empty prospect means EXTRA time needed, whereas with Tampa Bay, their prospect pools were continually renewed, even during transitions. Of course they'll be on track.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, alucard said:

average lifespan of a GM is 5 years in NHL, JB has done some good, but lot of mistakes also. he has been here 7 years.

http://www.healthgeomatics.com/hockey-gm-tenure-length/

He never fleeced another GM in trades, pulls very very even trades.

He never signed a UFA that has been a great great success.

Again he is not the worst GM, but he is not that great either.

if he messes up next year he should be accountable.

this amount of loyalty to him I find so hyperbolic.

he has courage and takes risks, I give him that, but with those risks comes accountability.

It is fair to fire him if team does not show progress this upcoming season.

I just hope- if canucks fire him- owners don`t hire a Gillis type and go for someone seasoned with coherent system, draft and develop as we have the core now.

a team is as good as its prospect pool.

I hate trading away too many picks. 

1. Wrong. Schmidt/LV trade - 3rd round pick. Clear win. Easy for you to say something and just ignore evidence.

2. Drafting - Benning has revived this prospect pool. Demko, Hoglander - all regulars on this team. Gillis left him with ABSOLUTELY nothing with regards to prospects. Horvat was obtained from Gillis trading a goalie he didn't draft. In fact. Gillis never drafted a goalie in the system that could replace anyone! That's why we have the Luongo/Schneider mess.

3. Trading picks - Benning at least can draft the players, so he can move picks if it helps the team. Gillis burned all the picks he traded, and messed up the ones that he did draft, for the most part.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Dazzle said:

1. Wrong. Schmidt/LV trade - 3rd round pick. Clear win. Easy for you to say something and just ignore evidence.

2. Drafting - Benning has revived this prospect pool. Demko, Hoglander - all regulars on this team. Gillis left him with ABSOLUTELY nothing with regards to prospects. Horvat was obtained from Gillis trading a goalie he didn't draft. In fact. Gillis never drafted a goalie in the system that could replace anyone! That's why we have the Luongo/Schneider mess.

3. Trading picks - Benning at least can draft the players, so he can move picks if it helps the team. Gillis burned all the picks he traded, and messed up the ones that he did draft, for the most part.

That is the thing, your bar is very low, you compare him to Gillis? sure , he is miles better at drafting.

also Schmidt has not worked out as much as I like him and he requested a trade it seems.

All I am asking why some people so loyal to him like he has won us the cup?

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, alucard said:

That is the thing, your bar is very low, you compare him to Gillis? sure , he is miles better at drafting.

also Schmidt has not worked out as much as I like him and he requested a trade it seems.

All I am asking why some people so loyal to him like he has won us the cup?

The so-called loyalty term is divisive language in describing the fans. I'm sure the new GM would receive plenty of "loyalty" too. There's also people who are STILL loyal to Gillis. :lol:

Of course Benning has made plenty of mistakes. The very good drafting is probably the single reason why he's still around, among other things. Benning can indeed draft/evaluate prospects.

Schmidt for 3rd round was a clear win at the time. Just because he didn't work out here doesn't make the trade a wash. LOL. :picard:

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 3
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, alucard said:

What? read the sentence man, with respect there is some great logic.

Are you just going to nitpick something and not add anything new to the post? I obviously meant to say single biggest reason

Oh right, I forgot you like to ignore evidence and then shift over to another tactic when your argument is exposed. Oops.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Are you just going to nitpick something and not add anything new to the post?

Oh right, I forgot you like to ignore evidence and then shift over to another tactic when your argument is exposed. Oops.

You are not thinking objective and rationalize things, that is all I am saying, with respect.

And also yes if a trade does not work out then of course it makes it a wash, you know any other way to judge the trades?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, alucard said:

You are not thinking objective and rationalize things, that is all I am saying, with respect.

And also yes if a trade does not work out then of course it makes it a wash, you know any other way to judge the trades?

Where's your proof for that statement? Just because you don't like the countered arguments doesn't mean I'm not thinking objectively. :lol: What a LAZY response.

Schmidt was a top four defenceman in LV for a 3rd round pick. That trade IS a win. No buts about it.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Dazzle said:

Where's your source for that statement? Just because you don't like the countered arguments doesn't mean I'm not thinking objectively. :lol: What a LAZY response.

I think I quoted some false logic in your argument before man.

Just now, Dazzle said:

Schmidt was a top four defenceman in LV for a 3rd round pick. That trade IS a win. No buts about it.

it was vegas, everybody is so good in vegas man, I like Schmidt but it has not worked out which does not make it a fleece.

so in your opinion if team does not progress next year Benning should stay?

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

Just now, alucard said:

it was vegas, everybody is so good in vegas man, I like Schmidt but it has not worked out which does not make it a fleece.

There is no false logic. All I simply left out was one word, biggest.

The single BIGGEST reason for Benning having a job is the drafting, among other things. There is no FALSE logic. You are just nitpicking.

I'm not even gonna bother answering your posts because you've already demonstrated that you're too lazy at addressing the countered points. Did you know the 3rd round pick was not the year of the trade, but the year after? That PROVES that the trade had leverage because LV doesn't even get to get a prospect until then.

Schmidt traded to Canucks by Golden Knights for draft pick

Defenseman has five seasons remaining on six-year contract; Vegas gets 2022 third-round choice

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, alucard said:

I think you are addicted to losing or just like to watch the Canucks lose. 

The whole Canucks team played bad. We will be a much better team this year and you cry about 6 years from now. Who cares about 6 years a lot can happen in that time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

I listend to Garlund's media availability- kid seems like a perfect fit. Hockey obsessed, wants to win, sounds like a down to earth but fiery kid.  Love it.

OEL too.  

Canucks just need a gritty defender now.  Wouldn't mind Hamonic at all as I think he'd compliment a number of guys well. 

Did you notice what he said about OEL?

I also read that OEL admitted to losing some of his MOJO last couple years. An invigorated OEL is going to be great. He also spent a lot of time talking about wanting to help the young guys

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

There is no false logic. All I simply left out was one word, biggest.

you said the only reason he is still there is his drafting then said among other things.

9 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

The single BIGGEST reason for Benning having a job is the drafting, among other things. There is no FALSE logic. You are just nitpicking.

the single biggest?

anyway lets move on.

9 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I'm not even gonna bother answering your posts because you've already demonstrated that you're too lazy at addressing the countered points. Did you know the 3rd round pick was not the year of the trade, but the year after? That PROVES that the trade had leverage because LV doesn't even get to get a prospect until then.

but you did not answer my question about Benning next year did you? I answered you always my dear,

8 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

I think you are addicted to losing or just like to watch the Canucks lose. 

The whole Canucks team played bad. We will be a much better team this year and you cry about 6 years from now. Who cares about 6 years a lot can happen in that time.

Please elaborate, with respect what are you talking about?

with all respect.

My arguments is:

THE AVERAGE LIFESPAN OF A GM IS 5 YEAR. BENNING HAS BEEN HERE FOR 7. OKAY?

WHEN IS THE TIME TO EVALUATE HIM BY HIS PROGRESS? IF NEXT YEAR TEAM IS NOT GOOD WE STILL CHASE OUR TAIL?

with all respect, dudes.

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1