The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

29 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

1. Average means some GMs last more time and some last less than that 5 years. 7 years would be in line with the average that you indicate as other GMs are going to be less..

Evaluate progress? OK?

1. We started with an old and stale core. Though the Sedins' still had game. 

2. People say that we need to build our team through the draft and we have Podz, Hogz, Bo, Boes, OJ, JV (I do not care what you think. He played how many seasons), Petey, Hughes, Rathbone, Mac, Gadj etc...

3. We have added through UFA, players that have helped the team not lose terribly, that has kept the team wanting to win to avoid becoming Buffalo or AZ

4. We have now added players that put us into a win now.

The process has not always been pretty but we are here. The problem that you and many others that slam this deal is that you cry IF and we have not even played a game yet. If can work for your argument and against it for example, what if we add another player or 2 at FA and win the cup. 

So, my evaluation of JB. We are ready to compete. I like our core. I like the trade. We are progressing forward instead of an endless draft picks. We shall see what this season brings.

Yep.   Good post.  

14 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm talking about the trade only within the context of that specific trade. The McCann trade was an entirely separate trade.

Yes it was a trade on its own and has merit.    JB lost the first trade on the tree and corrected his mistake - overall it's a wash.    

Edit:  One way you can look at it, is he's far surpassed the average late draft pick with the games Guddy and Pearson have played and will play.   People overrate draft picks on the CDC all the time.    A late first has the same odds (23 and on actually) as the entire second round of ever playing 200 nhl games.    50/50.    Guddy is fine as a third pairing D, he's still in the league right?   Maybe not a good one ... at 4.5 last year too.   Intangibles.   I'm sure we are way past those 200 nhl games, and McAan was also a good pick.  

Basically we used that first for Guddys games (wasn't great and i was dissappointed in his reluctance to stick up for things that happened on the ice)  and Pearson (for sure got value and will keep getting value there). 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

You bet Spook!   He's earned it, and put up with some angry fans too (including put his kids through it too).   Really rooting for him, want to see what he can do now that he's finally in a position of some power, that is 100% entirely from his own creation, minus like you said, Horvat.    Seen better expansion teams from the old rules ... which take usually took a decade or longer to become relevant.    I'm excited for them this year now. 

100% agree Ibatch...

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Lol... can just imagine the responses here... Go back to play your NHL 21 muppet... are you crazy etc.... 

The fact he pulled it off is genius in itself... 

He got a top 6 winger (hopefully)

He got a top pairing D-man (hopefully)

And he got rid of 3 dead weight contracts while doing so for the price of a 9th OA in draft, where nobody has much idea, who's good, great, or stinks up the joint... +a second...

And all the garbage about it being another anchor contract, the boy can play on the 3rd D pairing if he eventually stinks, and even sop Benning just showed that anchor contracts are movable. so in my book it an A for imagination and maybe a B for the players, but over all I'd give him an A for this. 

Just on a side note, I've been playing a little with combinations of our forward lines, and they look quite interesting in a positive way now. Even room for a few injuries...

Defence still needs a player or two (depending on how far Woo is in his development, but we are getting close.... This team definitely is a playoffs team, with a bit of roughness on the back end. Wonder if Schmidt will be move to RD or shipped out entirely (if he stays as LD, 2 RD's will be needed....)

I haven't been this excited in ages...

Yes what a different looking team!   TG must be grinning from ear to ear right now at the idea of three scoring lines.   Who do other coaches send out to defend now?   So many close losses the past two seasons.   A lot of one goal games.    A lot of those should become Ws now. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

1. Wrong. Schmidt/LV trade - 3rd round pick. Clear win. Easy for you to say something and just ignore evidence.

2. Drafting - Benning has revived this prospect pool. Demko, Hoglander - all regulars on this team. Gillis left him with ABSOLUTELY nothing with regards to prospects. Horvat was obtained from Gillis trading a goalie he didn't draft. In fact. Gillis never drafted a goalie in the system that could replace anyone! That's why we have the Luongo/Schneider mess.

3. Trading picks - Benning at least can draft the players, so he can move picks if it helps the team. Gillis burned all the picks he traded, and messed up the ones that he did draft, for the most part.

I liked the Schmidt trade  at the time but in hindsight I think Vegas did good here dumping his contract and getting a third round pick. Of course this hinges on if we get that pick back for Schmidt or if we lose value and if Schmidt has a good season coming up if we can’t trade him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

You are undervaluing Schmidt in the fact that he is a top 4 defenceman. Worth well more than the 3rd round pick. He shouldn’t be traded. The guy was a steal.

Schmidt looked good on a aggressive robust Vegas team but looked average last season maybe another season he looks better. If he plays with the Canucks this season it’ll tell us if this was a win trade. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, hateleafs said:

I liked the Schmidt trade  at the time but in hindsight I think Vegas did good here dumping his contract and getting a third round pick. Of course this hinges on if we get that pick back for Schmidt or if we lose value and if Schmidt has a good season coming up if we can’t trade him. 

If the whole team looked terrible, how can you single out one player as being bad and deserving to be traded? I see that the whole team collapsed and this year will be a better gauge and you do not give up on a player after such circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Tenacity and ability on every line... Yeah TG hasn't stopped smiling for 48 hours.... me neither :)

There's a guy smiling over here in Aus to.

Petey healthy,2 great additions that bring more than just playing ability to our team, experience and determination.

Hopefully Quinn develops more through the season.

Hopefully we may have a additional player or 2 still coming.

Happy days.....

Edited by Ilunga
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Ilunga said:

Petey healthy,2 great additions that bring more than just playing ability to our team, experience and determination.

Happy days.....

Spot on, just the fact QH doesn't have to play 22+min a night should help him lots...

Yes happy days Down under :)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, hateleafs said:

Schmidt looked good on a aggressive robust Vegas team but looked average last season maybe another season he looks better. If he plays with the Canucks this season it’ll tell us if this was a win trade. 

I am also thinking maybe Schmidt is the kind of player that doesn't really rise to the occasion if the team isn't any good.

He's supposed to be a locker room guy based on reports on him on Vegas but I didn't hear any of that while he was a Canuck. And now he wants out (allegedly)

Maybe he's just the type of player that can build off by piggy backing on a good team rather than someone that can help do the piggy backing. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Happy days.....

Those Aussie girls can swim too, what a 4 x 100 free relay clinic they put on.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nzan said:

And way more than half of them into the oppositions goal

Two wake-ups and it’s still unbelievable that Jimbo dumperooed Loui, Beagle, and Rouselle in this deal.  We get out top pairing D, and top six forward, and dump three toxic contracts.  The cost?  Geunther and a 2022 second.  That’s a friggin’ kick ass win for Jimmy!  Geunther looks like such a putz too.  Klimlovich is better!!!  Happy Alfer!!!  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1