Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland


Recommended Posts

The nitpicking in this thread is nothing short of  breathtaking.

The fear of failure, even more so.

 

Edited by Me_
  • Hydration 3
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

This is true… it’s easy to sit back and criticize the OEL pickup but what were the alternatives to replacing (improving upon) Edler’s contributions that didn’t involve any contract risk down the line? 
 

There aren’t any - no decent UFA who isn’t in their career twilight mid-late 30s is signing 1 or 2 year deals.  Look at a a guy like Stralman who’s about to turn 35 signed a 3x5.5 at age 33.  Look what it cost to pick up (and sign) Jones or Risto.  Look at the rumoured ask for Dumba (Boeser).  
 

It’s so easy to sit back and say it’s a bad contract… (and even if that’s fair - and there’s some risk about his overall play) the alternatives all suck.  You can’t just trot out bargain bin war darlings when your core needs to win now.  Sometimes you need to take a chance.

Exactly. I'm not saying it's risk free, but all deals carry a risk and not all deals are even options. 

  • Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

And the facial expressions.....

OEL actually reminds me of an old #19 from Van in his interview.

He has Pettersson and a couple swedish twins in the hood so he should be energized!

If he can produced 40+ points without a ton of PP1 time and take care of the other teams top lines reasonably well he's worth 7M for the next few years.

Garland is the icing on the cake though IMO as he solidifies  our forward group now.

Now move Schimdt and Holtby, spend some cash on some RHD's and I think we are finally ready to be taken seriously.

 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rekker said:

Yip. Another fringe benefit of the big trade. JB now has some hammer. He has options and is in no way desperate. 

Some right hand defensive d men targets imo would be David Savard, Radko Gudas and Jani Hakanpaa to name a few.

 

They could also just re-sign Hamonic.

 

OEL-Savard

Hughes-Myers

Rathbone-Gudas/Hakanpaa/Hamonic

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nuck-lifer said:

OEL actually reminds me of an old #19 from Van in his interview.

He has Pettersson and a couple swedish twins in the hood so he should be energized!

If he can produced 40+ points without a ton of PP1 time and take care of the other teams top lines reasonably well he's worth 7M for the next few years.

Garland is the icing on the cake though IMO as he solidifies  our forward group now.

Now move Schimdt and Holtby, spend some cash on some RHD's and I think we are finally ready to be taken seriously.

 

What Garland and OEL do is allow for two solid, balanced PP lines.  I'd actually like to see Boes and Petey split up on the PP.

 

Garland Bo Petey

 Hughes Myers

 

Boes Miller Hogz 

OEL OJ/Rathbone

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

and bye bye Jake....

 

I will never Forget the time on 3v3 overtime when he dumped the puck in for a line change instead of keeping postion untill new guys jumped on 

  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Side note. We are going into an interesting couple or three years in the league. Last two years was pretty much plain and simple Tampas cup to lose. Now, Tampa, Avs both taking steps back. Boston old, Vegas has crap center depth. St Louis won three years ago thanks to a good team with some Pixie dust added. We will see similar stories moving forward (Habs this year) Good teams punching a ticket to the dance with some Pixie dust added. To me, if we can still get Hamonic here, Demko is Demko, we can be one of those teams. Sounds far fetched but with the evening of the playing field we have witnessed this summer. Why not?

  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

and bye bye Jake....

 

Wow they couldn't even get like a 5th round pick for him even...

 

His contact is not that terrible but the off ice character and work ethic concers must be.

 

Habs will be interested surely...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what I think happened.

 

ARI lost their high 1st rounder due to the forfeit (penalty), and they wanted back in the top 10 - eyes set on Johnson. They wanted Johnson badly I think. So Armstrong rolled the dice on the #9 with VAN, assuming KJ would be there, but then CBJ took Johnson at #5. The Coyotes had to take who they thought was the the next best forward (Guenther), and I'm okay with that. 

 

Hayton - Guenther

 

I'm not scared.

 

Looking at the trade I'm trying to see where VAN got hosed. I can't. 

 

OEL makes too much - ARI is covering 12%

OEL is 30 - and just joined a Swede lovin' team on the rise. He'll be rejuvenated.

Of course getting rid of Eriksson, Roussel and Beagle is a massive bonus

 

It was a masterful trade by Benning

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I doubt you'd find anyone here who's happy about taking on a $7m cap hit, but this off season is the fork in the road and if JB chose to continue the rebuild then he might as well trade Bo, Miller, Pearson etc etc because they wouldnt be around when this mythical completion actually happens.  At some point you have to make your move and he got two players who will be a big part of the push for a Cup.

Bang on.

  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, 4petesake said:


I think that if you watch NS in the charity baseball game that someone posted in the NS thread you start to get a feeling for the difficulties of changing teams last year. It’s a beautiful night playing baseball with a bunch of your friends in front of a large crowd and having loads of fun. Here, because of Covid none of those things were able to happen. Imagine how hard it would be to come to a new team and have almost zero interaction away from the ice, no chance to bond and form new friendships. No chance to become part of the community for you or your partner/s.o.

 

 

Yes those are factors but, at the same, time other players had to go through a similar situation. If I'm not mistaken Jake Allen was also traded from a Cup Contender to a bubble team (much like the Canucks were expected to be) and he thrived under that environment 

 

Also at the same time with restrictions loosening next season you would think Schmidt would give it another go with being able to do the things you said. 

 

 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rekker said:

Side note. We are going into an interesting couple or three years in the league. Last two years was pretty much plain and simple Tampas cup to lose. Now, Tampa, Avs both taking steps back. Boston old, Vegas has crap center depth. St Louis won three years ago thanks to a good team with some Pixie dust added. We will see similar stories moving forward (Habs this year) Good teams punching a ticket to the dance with some Pixie dust added. To me, if we can still get Hamonic here, Demko is Demko, we can be one of those teams. Sounds far fetched but with the evening of the playing field we have witnessed this summer. Why not?

Seattle is built so terribly. Ron Francis so far looks like a total loser with all the expansion picks they had. He tried to outthink the competition, but he ended up stickhandling himself into mediocrity. He could've gotten so much more in his returns, or at least picked players that don't make this team seem like it's filled with scrubs.

 

I think we'll get a lot of points against them. Calgary is meh. Edmonton is still pretty decent though, so I'm thinking they'll be our main rivals.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to know if the people complaining about Benning doing this trade are the same people who complained about Benning signing Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel…

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Seattle is built so terribly. Ron Francis so far looks like a total loser with all the expansion picks they had. He tried to outthink the competition, but he ended up stickhandling himself into mediocrity. He could've gotten so much more in his returns, or at least picked players that don't make this team seem like it's filled with scrubs.

 

I think we'll get a lot of points against them. Calgary is meh. Edmonton is still pretty decent though, so I'm thinking they'll be our main rivals.

I agree on Seattle. Francis totality misread the market. Good thing he's not my financial advisor.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...