The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

4 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Some right hand defensive d men targets imo would be David Savard, Radko Gudas and Jani Hakanpaa to name a few.

They could also just re-sign Hamonic.

OEL-Savard

Hughes-Myers

Rathbone-Gudas/Hakanpaa/Hamonic

I don't think Schmidt gets traded, and if he does, Savard is not likely to be OEL's partner.. maybe Myers. The big stay at home D man is needed for Hughes, OEL is perfectly capable defensively (a pretty good PK'er actually). 

With Schmidt:
OEL-Schmidt (holy F*** thats amazing)
Hughes-Savard (hahah good luck to other teams when they've had to match against OEL and Schmidt)
Juolevi-Myers (Juolevi was really solid defensively last year, I expect him to be even better, and therefore a great partner for Myers)
*Rathbone

Without Schmidt:
OEL-Myers (not as amazing but pretty good)
Hughes-Savard
Rathbone-Hamonic
*Juolevi

Much better with Schmidt imo. 

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This is what I think happened.

ARI lost their high 1st rounder due to the forfeit (penalty), and they wanted back in the top 10 - eyes set on Johnson. They wanted Johnson badly I think. So Armstrong rolled the dice on the #9 with VAN, assuming KJ would be there, but then CBJ took Johnson at #5. The Coyotes had to take who they thought was the the next best forward (Guenther), and I'm okay with that. 

Hayton - Guenther

I'm not scared.

Looking at the trade I'm trying to see where VAN got hosed. I can't. 

OEL makes too much - ARI is covering 12%

OEL is 30 - and just joined a Swede lovin' team on the rise. He'll be rejuvenated.

Of course getting rid of Eriksson, Roussel and Beagle is a massive bonus

It was a masterful trade by Benning

I think the draft pick for the 2nd is a bit of a stinger. That being said, the trade was fair for both sides because both teams got what they wanted.

Now our roster is filled with players that we can use. We don't have players to be dumped anymore.

• Hydration 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

No Loui, no Jake, No Rous.

What will the naysayers do? 

Oh right, they will bitch about OEL. 

The Canucks still have Myers and he is an obvious target not great defensive wise despite his size. Inconsistent but can play in different situations. 

As long as Schmidt is still not traded he will get heat too as well.

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Seattle is built so terribly. Ron Francis so far looks like a total loser with all the expansion picks they had. He tried to outthink the competition, but he ended up stickhandling himself into mediocrity. He could've gotten so much more in his returns, or at least picked players that don't make this team seem like it's filled with scrubs.

I think we'll get a lot of points against them. Calgary is meh. Edmonton is still pretty decent though, so I'm thinking they'll be our main rivals.

I don't think building with a solid defence, size, and hopefully good goaltending makes him look like a loser. 

Some of his choices were head scratching to be sure. But it's clear he didn't want go nuts against the cap right away.

If he gets Tarasenko or Landeskog, they will be a miserable team to play against. 

• Hydration 1

Just now, Chip Kelly said:

The Canucks still have Myers and he is an obvious target not great defensive wise despite his size. Inconsistent but can play in different situations. 

As long as Schmidt is still not traded he will get heat too as well.

If they can reduce his minutes I think he will be more effective. A lot seems to be him trying to do too much. 

Just now, iinatcc said:

Yes those are factors but, at the same, time other players had to go through a similar situation. If I'm not mistaken Jake Allen was also traded from a Cup Contender to a bubble team (much like the Canucks were expected to be) and he thrived under that environment 

Also at the same time with restrictions loosening next season you would think Schmidt would give it another go with being able to do the things you said. 

The bubble life was quite different...

He'll Domingue was baking cookies for the boys and they were playing Mario Kart or something lol

Last season there was no social gatherings at all.. long road trips where you are stuck in a hotel. Food was provided and broken up in to group sessions.. etc etc

Pretty weird and clunky setup... 

That said if Schmidt ends up being traded it'd be because his play style doesn't suit the green defense system.. or rather Baumgartner. Now Shaw is in the mix I do wonder if he will fit into the system now

• Hydration 2

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

Yes those are factors but, at the same, time other players had to go through a similar situation. If I'm not mistaken Jake Allen was also traded from a Cup Contender to a bubble team (much like the Canucks were expected to be) and he thrived under that environment 

Also at the same time with restrictions loosening next season you would think Schmidt would give it another go with being able to do the things you said. 

Hoglander did well too, and he came from a different continent so your point is valid. Yet Schmidt’s personality seems to be extremely  extroverted which I imagine would make it harder.

• Hydration 2

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I would love to know if the people complaining about Benning doing this trade are the same people who complained about Benning signing Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel…

I think they are. The people complaining about this trade say there's only one year left, and now the trade is just longer than before.

Garland is indeed amazing though, and he will fit in for us in a huge way.

• Vintage 1

This trade was a result of Benning trying to redeem his previous blunders. 

if he would have resigned Toffoli he wouldn’t have needed to trade those picks to get Garland. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I don't think building with a solid defence, size, and hopefully good goaltending makes him look like a loser. 

Some of his choices were head scratching to be sure. But it's clear he didn't want go nuts against the cap right away.

If he gets Tarasenko or Landeskog, they will be a miserable team to play against. 

His team is chock full of journeyman guys mixed with some very unproven young guys, which the latter is to be expected. However, he messed up by passing on Stenlund or Carlsson of CBJ. Stenlund would've fit their timeline and positional need, and was for sure an NHL talent. Carlsson is a 25 yo defenceman. Stuff like this is why I think Francis overanalyzed with his analytics lol.

• Hydration 1

4 minutes ago, Fleech said:

This trade was a result of Benning trying to redeem his previous blunders. 

if he would have resigned Toffoli he wouldn’t have needed to trade those picks to get Garland. 

So did he redeem himself then? Or are you going to push an anti-Benning narrative here?

It's pretty obvious about the bias when any changes are viewed negatively for whatever reason.

In terms of cap dumps, Benning did a lot better than PHI and NYI. Of course, you'll never point that out because it'll hurt your opinion on it.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Hydration 1

13 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This is what I think happened.

ARI lost their high 1st rounder due to the forfeit (penalty), and they wanted back in the top 10 - eyes set on Johnson. They wanted Johnson badly I think. So Armstrong rolled the dice on the #9 with VAN, assuming KJ would be there, but then CBJ took Johnson at #5. The Coyotes had to take who they thought was the the next best forward (Guenther), and I'm okay with that. 

Hayton - Guenther

I'm not scared.

Looking at the trade I'm trying to see where VAN got hosed. I can't. 

OEL makes too much - ARI is covering 12%

OEL is 30 - and just joined a Swede lovin' team on the rise. He'll be rejuvenated.

Of course getting rid of Eriksson, Roussel and Beagle is a massive bonus

It was a masterful trade by Benning

The part i don't find masterful is that OEL stated he'd only wave for Boston or Vancouver (much like Kesler did to us), so we were dealing from strength

OEL on the downside for 2 years and knowing  he is making more than your young stars was the added strength that you had to counter with MORE than 12% retention

They knew how bad JB had wanted this player and he bought high again (with only 1 team to bid against)

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

As per usual a fancy stats page tabulated by someone who has likely never been on skates in his life.

Hockey isn't baseball, you can't pinpoint and individuals effectiveness in a team sport with stats.

GIF by Brockmire

these kids who defer to spreadsheets, presumably because they have no clue how to process what they're seeing on the tv screen during a game themselves, always make me chuckle. 

makes me think of this scene from the office:

Sinking Season 4 GIF by The Office

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If they can reduce his minutes I think he will be more effective. A lot seems to be him trying to do too much. 

He is currently the first choice option on the right side with Schmidt in limbo currently... so unless Benning can add two top 4 caliber right hand shot d men, Myers and his hefty salary will be difficult to hide on the third pair in reduced minutes.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

As per usual a fancy stats page tabulated by someone who has likely never been on skates in his life.

Hockey isn't baseball, you can't pinpoint and individuals effectiveness in a team sport with stats.

GIF by Brockmire

double

Edited by tas

1 hour ago, stawns said:

GIF by Brockmire

triple.

Edited by tas
  • Haha 2