The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

erase 1 year of bad contracts to take on OEL for 6 more years and HAVE that NMC follow him, has to be a bit of a scare. Hoping this works out well for us, if we aren't a winning team by Christmas or early new year I could easily see the GM get canned tho. Owners had to have signed off on this deal tho and they seem to love JB so who knows...

We got another piece too that's pretty important that people ignore.  Matters.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I honestly feel that you're overthinking things and looking too far down the road.  

If you have a team that's full of young hopefuls you start focusing there, not down the road if/when they're gone.  If in 5 years things are bleak, we will have had 5 years to replenish because it'll mean we were near the bottom rather than the top.  But that's how it works - if your team is given a shot "now" and doesn't make it, they either gain invaluable experience and a taste that makes them hungry to get back there or...they drop out the bottom and you get picks.

I'd hope JB is overthinking as well.  I believe this is the team, mostly, who he feels will compete for the Cup.  If so, there's not a lot of work to be done, other than adjustments here and there.  

I think there's enough good players in their prime that he can bow start to have a perpetual rotation of older players out for picks and developed guys in.  I'm expecting that over the next few years he starts building up draft picks again and with the farm in Abby now, they can really dial in their development system.

• Vintage 2

27 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I’ll be honest. When I first heard the trade. I wasn’t happy that we included the 9OA. With that being said. After a couple of hours and saw how the draft went down and how neither Johnson or any of the players management were rumored to have liked were there. I feel a little better about the trade. I still don’t like how Benning included yet another second round pick for a deeper draft next season. I find it really odd that for a guy who’s strength is drafting has given away draft capital ever since he’s been a GM of the Canucks. We would have a much deeper and better team if he actually kept most of his picks over the last 7-8 years. 

That was my feeling as well.  It all hinged on who was there at #9 for me and I was nervous as Eklund dropped as I felt he was a contender for 1st OA

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

We got another piece too that's pretty important that people ignore.  Matters.

I am not ignoring it, I am curious what kind of deal he is going to get, if its short term it takes him to UFA quickly. Fact is this team has gone all in, to try and make the playoffs giving up lots of picks...when teams usually move picks like these to get assets for long playoff runs not just to try make the playoffs.

Either way it is what it is, I sure hope OEL can be a contributing top pair D for us so we can send Quinton to the 2nd pair and limit his ice a bit more as he learns the D side of the game without getting burnt out like how he has been getting deployed. 

14 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I think there is one big difference between this team and say the club that Gillis was managing. I think we have two cores. What I mean is we have two age groups that are going to have their run and the youngest one looks like the better of the two. (Too Me)

Bo , Miller and Boeser will be part of the next few years and then unless they resign they may be moved out. ( add Garland to that age group)

The younger group has a bigger window. Petey, Hughes , Rathbone , Hoglander and Podkolzin.  Demko may be here for the long hall. Goal tenders seem to stick around.

I really was looking at the second group as the one's who could bring us the cup and so wanted to see them keep added to our youth. I see the team's cup chances as being stronger in say five years. Hopefully they do better job at asset management over the next few years.  Guys like Miller , Bo , Boeser and Garland can't be allowed to walk if this club is to make consecutive runs. Hopefully Jim keeps a better handle on our cap so we don't need to flip out draft picks. ( lets also hope we hit a few late round gems to make up for the lack of picks)

Your assessment isn't overly wrong but I do think you are glossing over that the young core and the youth we have coming up as of right now. I get the allure in stocking up the cupboards but at some point in time you have to eat it up and that's what we are doing right now... We are consuming and will be satiated for the next 3-4 years before we go digging back in... We have time to restock cupboards some more.

Not too mention now that we have a good team that finally has depth that means we have actual options to trade assets. Like Boeser as you say is part of the first core group. Well he is RFA next year and if Podz and Hogz shows top 6 capabilities then that actually opens Boeser as a trade option where we don't have to leave a massive hole in the lineup

That in turn restocks the cupboards...

I guess what I'm saying is we needed good players to actually get valuable picks... for the past 7 years Benning has mis-managed a few assets for sure but we really never had any expendable valued assets to get rid of...

• Vintage 3

11 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I am not ignoring it, I am curious what kind of deal he is going to get, if its short term it takes him to UFA quickly. Fact is this team has gone all in, to try and make the playoffs giving up lots of picks...when teams usually move picks like these to get assets for long playoff runs not just to try make the playoffs.

Either way it is what it is, I sure hope OEL can be a contributing top pair D for us so we can send Quinton to the 2nd pair and limit his ice a bit more as he learns the D side of the game without getting burnt out like how he has been getting deployed. 

At some point, teams have to keep their young players motivated and "going all in" shows confidence in them.  it's about them....not looking beyond them to down the road (that comes later).    They got a bit of a taste and they won't settle for "waiting" for picks to develop (or not).  Remember, people treat draft picks like they're an upgrade to a team....they "may be".  Chances are, many won't matter at all.

I'm focused on THIS team.....seeing what they can do and we still have some needs and aren't quite there yet, but you have to let the horses run.  Giving them the best surroundings to do so isn't a bad plan in my view.

Picks are for "down the road".  You have to start "long" playoff runs somewhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, Pears said:

We’re expected to win next year now…?

Yeah. It’s interesting because didn’t Benning say publicly that he sees this team contending in about two years time? When did he say that? Was it 2 years ago or was that last year? Regardless. The fans don’t necessarily see the team as “contenders” but Benning and his crew seem to think so. 

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

At some point, teams have to keep their young players motivated and "going all in" shows confidence in them.  They got a bit of a taste and they won't settle for "waiting" for picks to develop (or not).

I'm focused on THIS team.....seeing what they can do and we still have some needs and aren't quite there yet, but you have to let the horses run.  Giving them the best surroundings to do so isn't a bad plan in my view.

Picks are for "down the road".  You have to start "long" playoff runs somewhere.

I think being a GM has many layers. A good GM has an eye for drafting and stocking that pipeline but also drafting well because those could be used as assets for trades to make the team better. And also using players in cheap ELC’s is a wise move by a GM. Benning has done that to a degree with Hughes, and Pettersson and Podkolzin to a degree. But kind of missed the opportunity to compete when Petey and Hughes were still on their cheap ELC’s. 

15 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

Lol. What the what? Maybe he means start winning.

Well I mean there’s a middle ground between not winning and winning the cup.

If we have another season like we just had it goes without saying that Bennings gone. That’s not some kind of revelation.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Exactly. The time is now to move forward. All these possible options we love to discuss, and it's fun, are just hypothetical. Reality is Jimbo pulled this deal out of magic hat as for as I'm concerned. I woke up to the news the other morning of Larsson signing that cheap deal in Seattle and was just pissed. That's just it. The options out there are so hypothetical. You can't compare what if's to what actually is. 

The question im interested in now is: are the Canucks a top 10 team now with next years roster? If not why not?

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Give me a signed Hamonic, a perimeter Calder candidate in Rathbone, a healthy Demko doing Demko things, a renewed D strategy with Shaw. Third line C with size now. Pods, Hogs. Keep Schmidt, good backup in Holtby. Honestly, why the hell not? I'm pumped just writing this out! Lol.

Im wondering now if the right move is to keep Holtby.... We need 10-12 wins from our backup and he should be able to do that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

Give me a signed Hamonic, a perimeter Calder candidate in Rathbone, a healthy Demko doing Demko things, a renewed D strategy with Shaw. Third line C with size now. Pods, Hogs. Keep Schmidt, good backup in Holtby. Honestly, why the hell not? I'm pumped just writing this out! Lol.

Love it! Lots of 4th line depth too(big mac,gadz). Could make some noise in the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Im wondering now if the right move is to keep Holtby.... We need 10-12 wins from our backup and he should be able to do that. 

No no no 100x no...

We have Ian Clark the best goalie coach in the world.. we can't afford spending 4.5m on a backup this year where we need that cap to round out the defense and depth options...

I would be looking at Big Save Dave Rittich as he had a pretty bad year and I'd bank on Clark to rebound his game back to it was when he was an allstar two years ago

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Sure, may as well. I expect a bounce back year from many of the players. Holtby included. 

10 hours ago, FaninMex said:

I think you are addicted to losing or just like to watch the Canucks lose. 

The whole Canucks team played bad. We will be a much better team this year and you cry about 6 years from now. Who cares about 6 years a lot can happen in that time.

Exactly,  worry about it in 5 years.  Players decline, players go on LTIR, players retire.

Many GMs sign these long contracts to get the player they feel the team needs. We did pay a steep price and i personally wish we could kept the 2nd round pick and Arizona retained 20 %, but thats my take

What about Edmonton about to sign Hyman for 7 or 8 years at 29? 

Go Canucks go

Lets hope OEL has 3 good years left in the tank. Time will tell.