The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Im wondering now if the right move is to keep Holtby.... We need 10-12 wins from our backup and he should be able to do that. 

If we have to yes, but it sure sounds like both the player and Benning want to move on.  Benning gave Holtby’s agent the go ahead to work on a trade.  Best if he moves one.  We need that cap room too.  Sign a backup for 1.5.  That’s 3 saved.  Add that to Jakes 2.5 and that’s a darned good right shot D from free agency.  

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

LATER - eriksson, roussel, beagle, virtanen

WELCOME - garland, dickinson, oel, podkolzin

Canucks got better and younger. More to come.

Great positive take on the situation 

Thank you

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Im wondering now if the right move is to keep Holtby.... We need 10-12 wins from our backup and he should be able to do that. 

With a Schmidt trade we can certainly keep Holtby.  That may be the plan now.  With over $21 million in cap space plus Ferland going on LTIR that allows us to basically have a working cap of $85,000,000.  That should allow us to re-sign, Petey, Quinn, Garland, Dickinson, Juolevi.  Add Podkolzin and Gadjovich and we still have a couple million to spare with only a 4C and RHD needed.  If we can trade Schmidt then that frees up enough money to go get a Hakanpaa and Hamonic to solidify the D and someone like Getzlaf to come in as a 3C/4C.  And that is without trading Holtby.  

Totally doable...

Miller            Pettersson    Boeser

Pearson       Horvat          Garland

Hoglander   Dickinson     Podkolzin

Highmore    Getzlaf          Motte

Gadjovich                        MacEwen

Hughes          Hamonic

OEL               Hakanpaa

Juolevi           Myers

Rathbone

Demko      Holtby

With the Luongo recapture and Ferland on LTIR that lineup is easily doable within the cap.

Not only is that a playoff team but we can also do some damage when we get there.  Really hoping for a Schmidt trade to free up the funds to go after Hakanpaa/Hamonic/Getzlaf.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well I mean there’s a middle ground between not winning and winning the cup.

If we have another season like we just had it goes without saying that Bennings gone. That’s not some kind of revelation.

If we have another season like we just had (assuming it's a regular regular season - no bubble, no massive amount of injuries etc), not only will Benning be gone but this team should be blown up and we start over again.

This team has to make the playoffs this year.  If they don't, it can only mean that OEL and Garland were not the players we hoped they were and/or , and more importantly, the core group of this team isn't as talented as we thought they were.

Gonna be an interesting season.

Just now, UnkNuk said:

If we have another season like we just had (assuming it's a regular regular season - no bubble, no massive amount of injuries etc), not only will Benning be gone but this team should be blown up and we start over again.

This team has to make the playoffs this year.  If they don't, it can only mean that OEL and Garland were not the players we hoped they were and/or , and more importantly, the core group of this team isn't as talented as we thought they were.

Gonna be an interesting season.

Ummm, I don't think so.  We aren't going to trade Petey, Quinn, BO, Miller, Demko, Garland, Podkolzin, Hoglander if we miss the playoffs.  

• Vintage 2

The question im interested in now is: are the Canucks a top 10 team now with next years roster? If not why not? 

I think it's been so long since the Canucks have had a good team, most of this fan base doesn't even know what one looks like.  This team has the pieces to do some damage, if the injury bug doesn't bite too hard.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ummm, I don't think so.  We aren't going to trade Petey, Quinn, BO, Miller, Demko, Garland, Podkolzin, Hoglander if we miss the playoffs.  

and Boeser,who has been our best player this pas season

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Why not?  If Petey,  BO, Miller, Demko, Boeser et al aren't good enough to get us into the playoffs, why is it so important to hold onto them?

BTW: That being said, I expect the Canucks to make the playoffs this year.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Why not?  If Petey,  BO, Miller, Demko, Boeser et al aren't good enough to get us into the playoffs, why is it so important to hold onto them?

Good point !

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

What I find funny is that people are dumbing it down to JIM = good/bad.  Wait in the wings to point out that the "avid supporters" are wrong when, really, there's a happy medium to be struck there.

Jim's made mistakes that have cost us, for sure.  But he's also done some great things (hence, why I'm exciting about the upcoming season and you should likely be too).  People who are stuck on things and can't look past them in a forest for the trees way celebrate the mistakes instead of accepting that all teams will make some at some point.  It's not exclusive to Jim Benning.  It's not static or a contest with an end date...it's a work in progress deal.  But to deny that this young core has great potential is a blind agenda.

Hockey rosters are always going to involve taking some chances - some of which pay off, others that don't.  

You don't like Petey?  Quinn?  Brock?  We defended those picks too.  So if you're going to bask in the glory of the mistakes, please take a dip in the positive moves pool because it's refreshing to do so.

We are in good shape...I've seen much worse teams of aging, slow veterans mailing it in.  It's ok to make mistakes and then move past them.  Therapy is based on that concept.  It's called growth and keeps people from getting stagnant.

But hey, gloat away.  For now.

Hey I hope you and everyone else that thinks I’m a ( fill in the blank) is right.I’d love to see this team be a perennial winner again . I just can’t by the history of mistakes and blunders and the continuation of adding past their prime over priced vets with anchors for contracts as we just did again. Jb isn’t the guy to get us there 
Sooner or later law of averages will be in JBs side 
maybe this times the 7 or 8th time lucky. 
ive praised the good like demko cold draft and contract aswell as others it’s just that list is very short compared to the other one. 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we have to yes, but it sure sounds like both the player and Benning want to move on.  Benning gave Holtby’s agent the go ahead to work on a trade.  Best if he moves one.  We need that cap room too.  Sign a backup for 1.5.  That’s 3 saved.  Add that to Jakes 2.5 and that’s a darned good right shot D from free agency.  

I thought it was Schmidt's agent that got the go-ahead from Benning to explore a trade partner.  I haven't heard a peep about Holtby wanting to move on.  He has been (imo) totally professional about being exposed in the ED  ...  ofc he knew when signing that would be the case.  I imagine (but no source or proof) that he would relish the opportunity to redeem himself in front of fans and in front of a revamped defense. 

I would imagine it kind of feels like getting a divorce from ARI, and they only take the stuff you don't want - And then they also pay you 12% towards your new Volvo car payments (OEL)

Ummm thanks ARI?  Good luck with those iffy picks.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, playboi19 said:

A one day contract for Loui to retire a Canuck. Can't wait for his Jersey retirement!

Maybe they can get creative and lower his Number from the rafters into a vat of those Ikea meatballs then push it into a shipping container marked "Sweden or Bust" !

19 minutes ago, combover said:

Hey I hope you and everyone else that thinks I’m a ( fill in the blank) is right.I’d love to see this team be a perennial winner again . I just can’t by the history of mistakes and blunders and the continuation of adding past their prime over priced vets with anchors for contracts as we just did again. Jb isn’t the guy to get us there 
Sooner or later law of averages will be in JBs side 
maybe this times the 7 or 8th time lucky. 
ive praised the good like demko cold draft and contract aswell as others it’s just that list is very short compared to the other one. 

With Virtannen now toast.

JB just created roster positions for farm rotation, 

cleared about 14m off the cap in 2 days.

adding a third highly skilled D man in OEL and having Arizona retain 1m of his hit, and a player who plays kinda like B Marchand in Garland.

Thats not bad for a 9th OA draft pick.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I imagine like in every season their will be self reflection by the players and the organization will be discussing the following:

• the player's performance (the good, the bad, and the ugly)
  • the player's future
  • the player's desire to be here
  • the player's value on the market

Organizations do this every year so nothing would change... If the canucks fall flat then hard discussions on Miller, and Bo being 1 year left to UFA will be had. Boeser being an RFA will garner tough conversation as well.

Pettersson and Hughes however will not be traded (Well Hughes maybe if NJD does some stupid crazy trade to complete the Hughes trinity) 

19 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I thought it was Schmidt's agent that got the go-ahead from Benning to explore a trade partner.  I haven't heard a peep about Holtby wanting to move on.  He has been (imo) totally professional about being exposed in the ED  ...  ofc he knew when signing that would be the case.  I imagine (but no source or proof) that he would relish the opportunity to redeem himself in front of fans and in front of a revamped defense. 

Benning might have misspoke, but he said (in a presser a couple days ago) he’d given Holtby’s agent permission to talk to other teams.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Benning might have misspoke, but he said (in a presser a couple days ago) he’d given Holtby’s agent permission to talk to other teams.  

Ah, thanks  -  I missed that one

• Cheers 1